What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Delboy

First Grade
As long as everyone realises this whole "stadium" campaign was a thought bubble slogan adopted by Luke Foley , wasn't really cost or financial, just a slogan he could use .
It developed further with the Greens funded support through the local councils , again to score points, what did Graham Richardson say " Anything to get it done"

Politics ahead of an election when the state is moving forward at last is about slogans not much else. Daley doing all his media gobfests in front of Allianz, shows how far debate has sunk when the economy and State is doing reasonable well.

Quicksilver

Bench
As long as everyone realises this whole "stadium" campaign was a thought bubble slogan adopted by Luke Foley , wasn't really cost or financial, just a slogan he could use .
It developed further with the Greens funded support through the local councils , again to score points, what did Graham Richardson say " Anything to get it done"

Politics ahead of an election when the state is moving forward at last is about slogans not much else. Daley doing all his media gobfests in front of Allianz, shows how far debate has sunk when the economy and State is doing reasonable well.

Spot the 2gb listener.

Timbo

Staff member
Now that it looks like Daley will lose, this may go down as one of the greatest electoral missteps of all time.

His entire campaign was built on campaigning against two major public works projects which can be spun to have strong economic benefits for the state. I genuinely don't know how he's lost this. With the LNP's lack of consultation with the community, buddying up with developers, selling public assets, annihilating the live music scene in the state, increasing police powers, etc. etc. etc. and not to mention the LNP are massively on the nose nationally in general and likely to get smacked at the federal election in a few months, this election should have been an absolute slam dunk for the ALP. And yet instead of policy, all Daley has gone on about is the stadiums.

Quicksilver

Bench
Now that it looks like Daley will lose, this may go down as one of the greatest electoral missteps of all time.

His entire campaign was built on campaigning against two major public works projects which can be spun to have strong economic benefits for the state. I genuinely don't know how he's lost this. With the LNP's lack of consultation with the community, buddying up with developers, selling public assets, annihilating the live music scene in the state, increasing police powers, etc. etc. etc. and not to mention the LNP are massively on the nose nationally in general and likely to get smacked at the federal election in a few months, this election should have been an absolute slam dunk for the ALP. And yet instead of policy, all Daley has gone on about is the stadiums.

The Liberal's stadium plan is not at all popular outside the hundred people on this forum. I don't think opposing it has hurt Daley at all.

It's more that Daley hasn't really done much in general to inspire anyone.

Also people just don't trust Labor in this state. There's still a hangover from the O-bead and that's probably fair enough.

The stench of corruption in this state is worse than an O-bead pulled from Barry O'Farrell's bumhole.

In saying all that, the election still hasn't been decided yet.

T-Boon

Coach

I think it mainly comes down to how much everybody hates Peter Fitzsimmons. Everybody thinks he is a vile cretin.

Timbo

Staff member
The Liberal's stadium plan is not at all popular outside the hundred people on this forum. I don't think opposing it has hurt Daley at all.

It's more that Daley hasn't really done much in general to inspire anyone.

Also people just don't trust Labor in this state. There's still a hangover from the O-bead and that's probably fair enough.

The stench of corruption in this state is worse than an O-bead pulled from Barry O'Farrell's bumhole.

In saying all that, the election still hasn't been decided yet.

That may be true, but the fact is it's not the wedge issue he thought it'd be. Are people annoyed by it? Sure. Enough to win an election? Seems unlikely.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Did anyone seriously believe that article saying the SFS could be fixed for 15 million? Surely no one is that stupid.

I don't think it matters now anyway, the last few days have been a massive win for the Liberals. Daley making a fool of himself during the debate has virtually ensured he won't be Premier.

We can all breathe a bit more easily now. Nothing will be cancelled. The merkins from Labor won't get to run the state into the ground again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think what has hurt them is not having a viable alternative plan. Doing nothing was never an option. If they’d have come out with their own plan for spending less on allianz, still developing anz to keep nrl happy and announced the $400mill saving was going to be spent on a children’s hospital or policing something popular to the masses then they could have used it to show they are the more responsive choice. As is saying they won’t do anything has made people uneasy about what vision they do have for future development.

adamkungl

Immortal
Labor have no policy.
"Same as Liberals, minus building stuff" isn't policy.

I have a lot of reasons to boot the Libs out but not 1 reason to hope Labor gets in.
Libs under Gladys have
Went on a rampage against music and culture, especially youth
Ramped up overpolicing to a point where you can be strip searched at central station or breathalysed while kayaking
Doubled down on proven harmful drug policy
Stuck to their guns on the lockout laws which have completely ruined the inner city, and created a web of red tape and bullshit rules just for bars clubs and pubs to exist

And theyre still a better option than no policy Labor.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Metro Sydenham to Bankstown isn’t unnecessary. Removing the T3 line from the city circle has significant benefits to the overall train network.

The thing that maybe they could have done between Central and Sydenham is reroute it to cover the East Village area around Zetland which is very high density and is in a public transport dead zone and still too far from Green Square station to be any good then have it come across to service the Ashmore Estate development around the Alexandria, Erskineville , St Peters area then on to where it comes out just before Sydenham Station near Marrickville Metro. There is still no decision whether St Peters and Erskineville will go onto the T8 or the Eastern Suburbs line but either way there is going to be a lot of increase of people using these stations with the Ashmore Estate development when it is opened , just think that part of the project was a missed opportunity, instead between Central and Sydenham you the one stop at Waterloo which is sitting right at the end of the housing commission area there and is only 5-6 minute work from Redfern station. Sorry a bit off topic for stadium talk.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think what has hurt them is not having a viable alternative plan. Doing nothing was never an option. If they’d have come out with their own plan for spending less on allianz, still developing anz to keep nrl happy and announced the $400mill saving was going to be spent on a children’s hospital or policing something popular to the masses then they could have used it to show they are the more responsive choice. As is saying they won’t do anything has made people uneasy about what vision they do have for future development.

Im generally a Labor guy and i f*cking hate the NSW Lib faction...

But f*ck me this Labor group are useless. They had 8 years in opposition and still the best they can say is "we wont build a thing".

Slogans, dispite what people think, are actually good in politics. Its just that they need to draw attention to a real policy. When the policy stops with the slogan (the Abbott play) we have a problem.

Suitman

Post Whore
Im generally a Labor guy and i f*cking hate the NSW Lib faction...

But f*ck me this Labor group are useless. They had 8 years in opposition and still the best they can say is "we wont build a thing".

Slogans, dispite what people think, are actually good in politics. Its just that they need to draw attention to a real policy. When the policy stops with the slogan (the Abbott play) we have a problem.

I always have been too but I can (and have) seen what the Libs have done for the state and what they have planned for the future.
Labor, on the other hand, have shown me absolutely nothing to convince me they deserve to be in govt. In fact, they have done everything to turn me off voting for them. Michael Daley would have to go down as one of the worst, most uninspiring leaders they have ever had. He has f**ked up so many times this campaign, how could he ever run a state?

I for one don't want to see multitudes of projects cancelled for no other reason than it's the current govt's policy. That is just f**king stupid.
Anyway, my vote won't really count, whichever way I vote. It never has. I live in a safe blue ribbon Liberal electorate.