What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Eels

Frank Facer

First Grade
What about Host? Forgot about him or leaving him out? But I think you are you right. No way Host should be in the ISP but that is the L'Embarras des richesses we have in the forwards.
I didn't forget Host. I would want 3 middle forwards and Lucky, Sims and Lawrie were the 3 I picked, Host would be my 4th pick, but see him more as an edge forward. He does lack a yard or 2 of pace for edge backrow. Maybe his future lies as a middle forward too? We do have Ford playing in CC. He looks to be a decent edge backrow prospect. Host, Robson, Aitken and Field would all be in contention for my 4th bench spot. I am a fan of carrying 4 forwards, (excluding hooker) on the bench and I do prefer to have an 80 minute hooker, as there is less disruption to the spine. Aitken could cover backrow or centre. Field would be the kind of player who could win you a game off the bench in the last 15 minutes.

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors
Well O.K. I will put my hand up and say that I thought Lats was the next best thing to slice bread , he had a job to do and he done it , a sort of no frills style about him . However there comes a time when the shelf-life expires on all perishables and unfortunately for Latts that time is definitely now .

Our illustrious maestro must now realized that there are other , better options available to him and would be absolutely bird brain crazy to ever consider Jeremy for the top grade again. He cannot LOSE any more games due to his incapacity to think clearly as a top line coach - Bellamy - Bennett or even Stuart would .

I sometimes wonder if Mary’s philosophy is “ well if I can’t get it done this season I will still have next season and the season after - hell why rush it ? “
Yes unfortunately Latimore, was a spent force when he was dumped to the Shonkies.
Since, he's only got even more cumbersome.

Glenn012

Juniors
I didn't forget Host. I would want 3 middle forwards and Lucky, Sims and Lawrie were the 3 I picked, Host would be my 4th pick, but see him more as an edge forward. He does lack a yard or 2 of pace for edge backrow. Maybe his future lies as a middle forward too? We do have Ford playing in CC. He looks to be a decent edge backrow prospect. Host, Robson, Aitken and Field would all be in contention for my 4th bench spot. I am a fan of carrying 4 forwards, (excluding hooker) on the bench and I do prefer to have an 80 minute hooker, as there is less disruption to the spine. Aitken could cover backrow or centre. Field would be the kind of player who could win you a game off the bench in the last 15 minutes.
I agree with you. Definitely Aitken on the bench and a shootout between Host, Lawrie and Leilua for 2 of the 3 forward on the bench. Leilua is frustrating. He has so much potential but he comes across more like Bryce Cartwright than Jack de Belin. At this stage, I think Host is in front of him in a full strength team. IMO both of them need to up their aggression.

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Looks like another sellout, tried to get some extra tickets today, only single tickets left in the corners. Guessing most will be Parra fans screaming the house down, hopefully they’ll be quiet for most of the match.

Should be a great game, glad the Knights brought these f**kcers back down to earth.

Hopefully JDB is named in the squad by tomorrow arvo.

hazzbeen

Bench
He's a good bloke and is very funny on the bus trip to training.
He is also there because Millward extended him which allowed coach to keep picking him.
Yep he is a good bloke , just like our coach , the player's love Mary because week in week out they get selected ..... Its great to have security knowing you can't get dropped .... Great blokes Club ....

True_Believer

Juniors
Yep he is a good bloke , just like our coach , the player's love Mary because week in week out they get selected ..... Its great to have security knowing you can't get dropped .... Great blokes Club ....

Guys, genuine question here and I've struggled with it for some time now, but what is the real benefit of being selected in the NRL team?

This is where I am coming from - if players are actually thinking this way (that their security is safe because Mary is their mate) then that indicates to me that they feel as though they don't have to put in too much effort - irrespective of anything else.

If that's the case, then why do they care if they get selected in NRL or CC? Their contract is still their contract and they still get paid the same amount no matter which team they get picked in. There really is no incentive to be selected in the NRL team? It can't be their security because that isn't threatened either way? There must be something else impacting the desire to play in NRL.

Nich

Juniors
Looks like another sellout, tried to get some extra tickets today, only single tickets left in the corners. Guessing most will be Parra fans screaming the house down, hopefully they’ll be quiet for most of the match.

Should be a great game, glad the Knights brought these f**kcers back down to earth.

I just bought 2 gold tickets. Did a dummy booking and could get 4 Gold, silver or Bronze together.

hazzbeen

Bench
Guys, genuine question here and I've struggled with it for some time now, but what is the real benefit of being selected in the NRL team?

This is where I am coming from - if players are actually thinking this way (that their security is safe because Mary is their mate) then that indicates to me that they feel as though they don't have to put in too much effort - irrespective of anything else.

If that's the case, then why do they care if they get selected in NRL or CC? Their contract is still their contract and they still get paid the same amount no matter which team they get picked in. There really is no incentive to be selected in the NRL team? It can't be their security because that isn't threatened either way? There must be something else impacting the desire to play in NRL.
Mine was a bit of tongue in cheek ... But , can you remember anyone being dropped for not performing ..... ?

True_Believer

Juniors
Mine was a bit of tongue in cheek ... But , can you remember anyone being dropped for not performing ..... ?

No. But I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, I'm just trying understand the incentive here. I just don't see it. If they did get dropped for underperforming, what would be the issue? They continue to underperform in the lower grade - doing the same thing and getting paid the same amount.

Like, for example, for the work I do, if I was getting paid the same amount to do a more high profile and stressful job than I do, I don't see the incentive to step up. Especially if I was happy with the pay and the level of effort I put into my current job. What would be the incentive to take a more stressful job if there's no real benefit from it? On the flip side, if I was doing that high profile job, not putting in the effort, underperforming and got dropped to do a less high profile job but getting the same pay, that seems like it's OK. What would make me concerned? I'm less stressed but getting the same benefits?

There must be some benefit to playing in the NRL team.

I expect a very good turnout from Dragon's fans

Old Timer

Coach

There is more than enough incentive to want to play 1st grade as contracts are higher for those that play in the top grade
Our problem is we sign some ordinary players and our coach has little knowledge of what constitutes a good player let alone a player in or out of form.

blacksafake

First Grade
No. But I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, I'm just trying understand the incentive here. I just don't see it. If they did get dropped for underperforming, what would be the issue? They continue to underperform in the lower grade - doing the same thing and getting paid the same amount.

Like, for example, for the work I do, if I was getting paid the same amount to do a more high profile and stressful job than I do, I don't see the incentive to step up. Especially if I was happy with the pay and the level of effort I put into my current job. What would be the incentive to take a more stressful job if there's no real benefit from it? On the flip side, if I was doing that high profile job, not putting in the effort, underperforming and got dropped to do a less high profile job but getting the same pay, that seems like it's OK. What would make me concerned? I'm less stressed but getting the same benefits?

There must be some benefit to playing in the NRL team.
One reason I would assume TB is the outcome of your next contract would have a huge bearing depending on which level you're playing.
If you were/are a regular NRL player you would have a better chance of securing a new, possibly increased contract elsewhere or at your current club. Were you to be playing on a regular basis in reggies your value would most likely decrease.

True_Believer

Juniors
There is more than enough incentive to want to play 1st grade as contracts are higher for those that play in the top grade
Our problem is we sign some ordinary players and our coach has little knowledge of what constitutes a good player let alone a player in or out of form.

I can understand the lower grade players who have never played in NRL wanting to get time in the NRL to boost their contract. But for those that play in the NRL already and already have a contract, what is the incentive if they aren't performing or supposedly don't have any interest in performing? And that is what we are eluding to. They feel secure in first grade so don't need to perform. If that's the case, why does it matter which grade they play in?

True_Believer

Juniors
One reason I would assume TB is the outcome of your next contract would have a huge bearing depending on which level you're playing.
If you were/are a regular NRL player you would have a better chance of securing a new, possibly increased contract elsewhere or at your current club. Were you to be playing on a regular basis in reggies your value would most likely decrease.

Yeah true. This does make some sense - but I would also assume that you would need to be performing pretty well to secure a new contract somewhere else? So are they just playing to secure a new contract with us? Sometimes I guess it's just experience rather than quality.

I would also think that if you signed a contract for 3 years, you could put in limited effort for 2 years and then play out of your skin for 1 year (which we suggest some players do) to get a new contract. So for those 2 years, you are still getting the same money - why would it matter if you played in NRL or CC? This would then suggest that they aren't consistent - so why sign them?

I guess your comment about consistency makes the most sense. Although I also can't see some players getting upgrades on their contracts (or at least not significant ones) based on some of the performances.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I can understand the lower grade players who have never played in NRL wanting to get time in the NRL to boost their contract. But for those that play in the NRL already and already have a contract, what is the incentive if they aren't performing or supposedly don't have any interest in performing? And that is what we are eluding to. They feel secure in first grade so don't need to perform. If that's the case, why does it matter which grade they play in?
Well as you probably have worked out I don’t subscribe to the theory that they don’t try or that they feel comfortable which is often implied.
I believe that they all try but some have got what it takes and some don’t, some suffer due to poor tactics and poor coaching and as I said we have a coach who can’t sort the wheat from the chaff and if he could do so the team would be selected differently.
I also believe that coach is so full of himself that he believes if he persists long enough and changes very little it will all come together.

True_Believer

Juniors
Well as you probably have worked out I don’t subscribe to the theory that they don’t try or that they feel comfortable which is often implied.
I believe that they all try but some have got what it takes and some don’t, some suffer due to poor tactics and poor coaching and as I said we have a coach who can’t sort the wheat from the chaff and if he could do so the team would be selected differently.
I also believe that coach is so full of himself that he believes if he persists long enough and changes very little it will all come together.

I think you've described what I am trying to understand. It makes no sense to me that players aren't trying or that they feel comfortable in first grade and that they don't need to put in effort each week. Players want to play NRL - I would assume mainly for the next contract (as blacksafake has suggested) and for rep honours. Along with this comes more money. I admit that I don't know how the contracts work, but that seems to be the main drivers for most players.

I agree, the use of certain players is confusing and the coaching group just doesn't seem to be able to work with some of the players they have. That doesn't mean the players aren't good players or aren't trying. It's just that the coach/coaching group are trying to fit square pegs into round holes based on the game plan they want to run with. He might be a good man manager with good personable skills, but he lacks complete tactical knowledge. I think he has some, but it's not enough to get us to the next step.