What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Souths

hazzbeen

Bench
Enjoy the game and the two more years of wasting your time. We've past the point where you get behind the club like in the old days. Feeding the fire.
The old Meat Loaf song , "You took the words right out of my mouth" how can I go to watch my team get flogged week in week out and enjoy it .... Its not enjoyment its punishment ... If I could see they are trying to fix the situation , then maybe Id go . But instead of fixing the problem they let it go on for another 2 years .....

SBD82

Coach
I get that. It used to be to watch rugby league and support the players that pull on the jersey. Right now it is supporting a wayward regime. 5 years of the same is a bit more than a rough trot to ride out.
Again. There are other reasons.

Wittenberg

Juniors
South's by 40... Can only hope.. Need to keep losing if there is any chance to sack the coach...

No idea where he lives... How can he walk anywhere with his head up... His an absolute disgrace.. Shame on you for ruining my beloved club..

Johnston and the Board are ruining this Club. They are more to blame than Mary who is totally stuffed but he wants a job, I get that, BUT our CEO is the one who deserves every bit of blame because him and the idiots on the Board are the ones who keep employing him. Johnston is a joke.

rednwhites

Juniors
Johnston and the Board are ruining this Club. They are more to blame than Mary who is totally stuffed but he wants a job, I get that, BUT our CEO is the one who deserves every bit of blame because him and the idiots on the Board are the ones who keep employing him. Johnston is a joke.

I agree but for mine both the Board/CEO and the coach are to blame. They all are treating us with contempt. The board with not acknowledging their error and trying to will their way out of the bleakest moment in our history (since my birth anyway), and then Mary who, put plainly, thinks we are completely naive. He must think we came out of the last shower by some of the things he says. He needs to find it within himself to walk. After the results of the last 5 years he knows by now he is out of his depth.

Vinnie

Juniors
1. Field / Salior - Have the speed and the x factor (Just protect them under the high balls)
2. Pearson - Has the height can help protect fullback for high balls if he wakes up !!
3. Lomax - If he's back Ravalawa is NOT a centre bad defensive reads and has to learn to tackle low.
4. Norman - has played a lot of centre and
5 .Saab - Has the height and everything else and deserves a run
6 Field / Sailor - Whoever doesn't play 1 goes to 6 and can swap around all game to keep the other team guessing.
7. Widdop - Steer the team around and call the plays. Bench Hunt (he needs rest remember ha ha) He and McInnes alternate at 9.
Also - Play Timms and Ford

Mary said he is going to do changes there u go ... seaons over lets try some change and run juniors but give them time to show their worth if they don't then move them on too and recruit

But unfortunately McGregors "change" bring back Latimore and if available Widdop will probably play at fullback.
C'mon Mary prove us all wrong think outside the box, season is gone do some forward thinking c'mon give it a go.

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop set to return for St George Illawarra Dragons' NRL rescue mission
Dragons Den
r0_193_3768_2512_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Shouldering the burden: Gareth Widdop is likely to return against South Sydney on Friday. Picture: Anna Warr

Captain Gareth Widdop is poised to return on Friday, attempting to pull the Dragons' season back from the brink of collapse.

Widdop is likely to partner Ben Hunt, rested in the 40-18 capitulation to Penrith, in the halves, with Corey Norman expected to shift to fullback.

He will still have to make it through testing contact sessions this week, before being cleared to take on Souths at ANZ Stadium.

It's a far cry from the fairytale premiership farewell Widdop hoped for in his last season in the Red V, watching on during his recovery from a shoulder dislocation, as the Dragons have lost nine of their last 11 games.

After starting the season at five-eighth and Widdop at fullback, Corey Norman confirmed he's prepared to make the swap with the English international.

"Hopefully Gaz is back this week, it would be a massive inclusion for us," Norman said. "He's our captain, he's moving on at the end of the year and Gaz wants to finish on a high as well. I'm not too sure what the positional changes will be, but if I have to move for Gareth, then I'm more than happy to do that."

While they're still two wins outside the top eight, the Dragons are languishing in 14th and would likely need to win all seven remaining games to finish on 28 points and a chance to qualify. for finals.

Forward Korbin Sims said experience would be the crucial factor of what Widdop's return would bring to the Dragons.

Hunt was rested for the Panthers game after a demanding State of Origin campaign at dummy-half for Queensland.

"Gareth is the captain of the club for a reason and Benny is an Origin and Australian rep for the same reason," Sims said.

"Their experience has been great (for us)."

Coach Paul McGregor has copped the brunt of calls among the fanbase for him to be sacked, but received the support of chief executive Brian Johnston in an interview with the Mercury.

Both Norman and Sims said the players must take the heat off McGregor by producing a dramatic form reversal.

McGregor will name his team for the Rabbitohs clash on Tuesday, with Matt Dufty, Tristan Sailor and Zac Lomax all bench utility options for the must-win game.

Most concerningly, St George Illawarra have conceded 76 points in the past fortnight, including some noticeable defensive errors to concede tries.

Widdop and other leadership group members James Graham and Tyson Frizell led a video review session at WIN Stadium on Monday, before McGregor weighed in on the way forward. Captain Cameron McInnes also delivered a searing assessment in the dressing sheds after the Panthers loss.

"There were some honest words said, the senior players stood up," Sims said.

"They voiced their opinion and then Paul McGregor voiced his opinion.

"But it wasn't all doom and gloom, it wasn't all a bash-up session. Moving into the Souths game I think we're in a good spot to start fresh."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6286200/widdop-set-to-return-on-dragons-rescue-mission/

getsmarty

Immortal
Half a chance: Norman prepares for fullback switch as Widdop returns
Adam Pengilly
July 22, 2019 — 6.02pm
  • Send via Email
Leave a comment

Corey Norman has told coach Paul McGregor he will move to fullback to accommodate Gareth Widdop's return from a long-term shoulder injury in St George Illawarra's last roll of the dice to save their season.

The Dragons are poised to parachute their captain straight back into the halves alongside the recharged Ben Hunt if he can come through the rest of the week unscathed before the do-or-die clash against the Rabbitohs on Friday night.

NRL Highlights: Panthers v Dragons - Round 18
The Penrith Panthers take on the St George Illawarra Dragons in Round 18 of the NRL.

The English international trained strongly in Wollongong on Monday with Norman stationed at the back, almost certainly condemning Matt Dufty to the bench or Canterbury Cup in an echo of McGregor's spine dilemma at the start of the year.

Widdop underwent a shoulder reconstruction after falling awkwardly in the golden point win over the Broncos way back in round three.

Only hours after a brutal video review of the hiding they took from the Panthers on Friday, Norman indicated he would slot straight back into the No.1 spot as Widdop prepares for his final fling at the club before taking up a Super League deal with Warrington next year.

0d89c67bf8f8affabdd9dd45507a95e96dec6307

Corey Norman could go to fullback for the Dragons.Credit:AAP

"Hopefully Gaz is back this week, so that would be a massive inclusion for us," Norman said. "He is our captain, he has been at our club for so long and he is moving on at the end of the year, so Gaz wants to finish on a high as well.

"I'm not too sure what the positional change will be, but if I have to move for Gareth I am more than happy to do that. Me, Gareth and Benny Hunt, we have played a lot of football so we can play with each other. Gaz will have a lot of opportunity with ball in hands and we have just got to go off him."

The Dragons, who have won just two of their last 11 matches, virtually need to win their remaining seven games to have any chance of featuring in the finals.

They have the worst defensive record in the competition and have only been saved from propping up the table by the struggling Bulldogs and Titans.

Widdop led a searching video session alongside James Graham and Tyson Frizell just three days after Cameron McInnes' searing post-game assessment of his side's performance against Penrith.

"We had a pretty honest video session today and spoke openly to one another," Norman said. "There was some good feedback about where we need to improve obviously, but I think we said what we needed to say and now we move on."

Added forward Korbin Sims: "It wasn't all doom and gloom. It wasn't a bash-up session . . .

"I think for a big part of the weekend's game we showed a lot of resilience to turn them away for as long as we did, but we couldn't find that extra set when they did end up scoring points. And I think that’s the thing that Paul is a little bit down about."

The Dragons board will meet on Tuesday to discuss the team's dismal campaign but have stressed McGregor's future won't be an item agenda.

The coach signed a two-year extension earlier this year which is set to keep him at the helm until the end of 2021.

"I don’t think it is Mary's fault," Sims said. "He is obviously the head honcho and it is easy for everyone on the outside looking in to blame Mary, but for us as a playing group we need to really step up and give Mary the support he has been giving us for the full year by starting to play the brand of football we know we can."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ha...switch-as-widdop-returns-20190722-p529j7.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons have bigger problems with season on line against South Sydney
  • Local Sport
    r0_62_3996_2318_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: Dan Himbrechts/AAP Image
    The good news for Dragons fans is that Paul McGregor and Tyson Frizell have publicly guaranteed the star back-rower's immediate future in the red V.

The bad news is that St George Illawarra have bigger problems.

The Dragons' season will go on the line when they meet South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Friday night, with a loss to all-but confirm St George Illawarra will miss the NRL finals.

St George Illawarra look likely to need to win at least six, possibly all seven, of their remaining fixtures just to reach the post season. If they fail, it will be the sixth time in the last eight seasons and third time in four years under McGregor that the Dragons have missed the finals.

The Dragons slumped to a third straight loss in their 40-18 drubbing at the hands of Penrith on Friday night to see them remain in 14th place on the table, four points outside the top eight.

They need to overhaul at least six teams on the run home if they are to play September football.

r393_157_5059_2923_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Pressure: Paul McGregor and his Dragons will put their season on the line against South Sydney. Picture: Adam McLean

Frizell took the opportunity after the loss to the Panthers to deny rumours he had requested a release from his contract. The NSW and Australia representative is contracted to the Dragons until the end of 2020 with suggestions he was unhappy at the club and looking for an exit.

"Obviously there's been some rumours circling around about my future at the club. And for me nothing has changed," Frizell said.

"I'm here until the end of 2020. As long as I'm welcome at the club I'll be here until then. All those rumours that have been tossed around are very false."

McGregor reiterated Frizell's statement having spoken to the 27-year-old's manager on the morning of the loss to Penrith.

"[He] said it couldn't be further from the truth. He said while ever I'm coaching he's here and he's got another year to run on his contract," McGregor said.

"Me and Tyson have been together for 130 games and I've seen him develop [from] a young man into a father, into a good married life. And someone who went from being a fringe player to the most decorated player in our side as an Australian player. Our relationship goes way back."

McGregor indicated he would make forced and unforced changes to his side for the Rabbitohs clash with Gareth Widdop (shoulder) and Zac Lomax (thumb) to return from injury.

"I think it's a compounding thing with a bit of self belief and a bit of doubt. A bit of trust at different stages with people that you're with out there," McGregor said after the Penrith defeat.

"It does break your heart. It hurts. Obviously it hurts for our supporters, it hurts for the coach, it hurts some players. But attitude is something that, the greatest power that a player has is to choose what sort of attitude you have. And it's valuable to your footy team. And you've got to have it when everything is going well and you've got to have it at tough times. At the moment when times are tough we've got to have a better attitude.

"I don't take things personally. I understand when a team is not performing the way we need to at the moment.

"We've had above-level distractions and no element of luck during the year and we haven't had our real strongest 17 on but we shouldn't beaten by scores we've been beaten by the last couple of weeks. So I understand that.

"As the coach I'm the leader so aim up on me and leave my players alone a little bit. But at the end of the day I'm here so we've got to do something about it as a group."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...-problems-with-season-on-line-against-souths/

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Phil Gould loved James Graham's post-match interview after Dragons loss

Written By Adam Lucius
@Lush178
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images

James Graham's post-match interview after St George Illawarra's loss to Penrith is being held up as example of how filthy players should feel after a loss.

There were no high-fiving fans, joking with the opposition or posing for selfies from the Dragons hard man.

Graham looked like he had swallowed a wasp as he struggled to raise a response to Darren Lockyer's questions.

The word 'filthy' doesn't do his mood justice.

Phil Gould was happy to see Graham's reaction, declaring that's the sort of passion supporters want to see from a beaten side rather than smiles and hugs.

"I know a lot of fans struggle with that and so do I. It wouldn't have happened back in my day," Gould told Macquarie Sports Radio.

"You lost the game and you stormed off the field (because) you were in a huff and didn't want to talk to the opposition."

Gould blames social media for that loss of pain after a defeat.

He said: "There was an intense rivalry once but the advent of social media means players from rival clubs are communicating all the time.

"They're friends with a common cause. They are all professional athletes and they are looking after each other.

"Whilst they compete hard against each other on the field, there's actually a mutual admiration society amongst them.

"For the modern-day footballer, that's might be the way they feel about it but fans want to see real disappointment and heart-break.

"To be cuddling the opposition players doesn't sit well with them.

"I don't think the players get it sometimes, but that's the modern-day player, that's the modern-day youth.

"They think 'okay, that result's done, we did our best, let's move on."

Gould has no problems with players acknowledging each other but urged them to 'do it away from fans and cameras'.

"Go and salute your fans, thank them for cheering for you, apologise for the loss and get back in the dressing-room," Gus said.

"That's the way I'd like to see it happen."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-after-dragons-loss/5jyhk4dbf5g816yib2uascejm

getsmarty

Immortal
widdop_rc1_1014.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Brought to you by

TripADeal NRL team announcement: Round 19 v Rabbitohs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jul 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Beanies for Brain Cancer Round 19 clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Friday, July 26.

Inspirational skipper Gareth Widdop has been named at five-eighth for his first game since Round 3 after recovering from a dislocated shoulder.

Widdop's return has seen Corey Norman shift to fullback and Matt Dufty move to the bench in place of the reserves-bound Patrick Kaufusi.

Match: Rabbitohs v Dragons

Round 19 - Friday 26th July

7:55pm

Home Team

Rabbitohs

2nd Position

Away Team

Dragons

14th Position

Venue: ANZ Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
Zac Lomax (thumb) has been named in a new-look wing partnership with NRL debutant Jason Saab (St George Illawarra player No. 226) in place of Jonus Pearson and Mikaele Ravalawa.

Dragons support Beanies for Brain Cancer Round

NRL squad for Round 18 v Penrith Panthers –

1. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Jason Saab – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group Construction
6. Gareth Widdop – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
14. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
16. Matt Dufty– sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Reece Robson
19. Jacob Host
20. Patrick Kaufusi
21. Mikaele Ravalawa

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/23/tripadeal-nrl-team-announcement-round-19-v-rabbitohs/

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
widdop_rc1_1014.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Brought to you by

TripADeal NRL team announcement: Round 19 v Rabbitohs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jul 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Beanies for Brain Cancer Round 19 clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Friday, July 26.

Inspirational skipper Gareth Widdop has been named at five-eighth for his first game since Round 3 after recovering from a dislocated shoulder.

Widdop's return has seen Corey Norman shift to fullback and Matt Dufty move to the bench in place of the reserves-bound Patrick Kaufusi.

Match: Rabbitohs v Dragons

Round 19 - Friday 26th July

7:55pm

Home Team

Rabbitohs

2nd Position

Away Team

Dragons

14th Position

Venue: ANZ Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
Zac Lomax (thumb) has been named in a new-look wing partnership with NRL debutant Jason Saab (St George Illawarra player No. 226) in place of Jonus Pearson and Mikaele Ravalawa.

Dragons support Beanies for Brain Cancer Round

NRL squad for Round 18 v Penrith Panthers –

1. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Jason Saab – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group Construction
6. Gareth Widdop – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
14. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
16. Matt Dufty– sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Reece Robson
19. Jacob Host
20. Patrick Kaufusi
21. Mikaele Ravalawa

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/23/tripadeal-nrl-team-announcement-round-19-v-rabbitohs/
So ur telling me.. PEREIRA isnt on the wing, Aitken somehow keeps his position and Lomax is on the wing now? FMD i've seen it all

The old Meat Loaf song , "You took the words right out of my mouth" how can I go to watch my team get flogged week in week out and enjoy it .... Its not enjoyment its punishment ... If I could see they are trying to fix the situation , then maybe Id go . But instead of fixing the problem they let it go on for another 2 years .....

I've got another old Meatloaf song that Mary has renamed for himself.
It's called "two out of eleven ain't bad".

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
f**k me.. two steps forward, one step back for McGregor..

Why is Rava on the bench? He’s our top try scorer and getting better each week..

Drop Aitken, move Lomax to centre and bring Rava back.

Dufty either needs to be in the side or not. Bench is no good, we need another forward there..

BLM01

First Grade
I am hoping that 21 named switch around and is a smoke screen. Dufty out / Mik to 5, Zac to 3 or 4, Robson + Euie or Lafai to fight out 17th & 18th
(i.e. Rav comes back to wing, Zac to centre) - maybe Euie or Lafai to bench as big enough to play 15 mins on a edge / backrow
Dufty being on the bench as is a waste...drop him to reggies or play him 1.
What we are going to have an extra back on the field at the same time (Dufty) when defence will be the key against the Bunnies.
Strike me pink!....I hope the shifts above are right

Last edited:

Latest posts