What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

T-Boon

Coach
According to engineers.

Speak to them about modifying reinforced concrete structures, it’s a nightmare. The SFS was missing so many things considered standard in modern stadiums that it was significant work.

The lack of female toilets or the fact the corporate boxes are in the wrong spot is not in dispute. Then you have the need for a new roof.

Of course it still would’ve been cheaper than a new stadium, but the question is what’s better value for money?

Ideal corporate boxes and a perfect new roof do not equate to "needed to be rebuilt". Safety, seating, womens toilets sure those things are essential for a stadium. I think it could have been done a lot cheaper than they are making out and it could have stayed 40k and been an impressive stadium which it already was anyway except for the "safety issues" which clearly werent that big of a deal.

Ideal corporate boxes and a perfect new roof do not equate to "needed to be rebuilt". Safety, seating, womens toilets sure those things are essential for a stadium. I think it could have been done a lot cheaper than they are making out and it could have stayed 40k and been an impressive stadium which it already was anyway except for the "safety issues" which clearly werent that big of a deal.

Roof no, corporate boxes yes. Corporate boxes are essential for a steady income stream at a stadium, more income means they can better maintain their facilities.

They costed a refurb at around $300m 3-4 years ago, I don’t see much getting done for just $100m.

Safety issues weren’t small, they had to be addressed sooner rather than later. Egress was poor, sprinklers non existent, flammable seats.

I’m a big critic of the trust, but not everything they said was wrong.

T-Boon

Coach
Well, anyway, I am happy to see the area turned into parkland and an upgrade to ANZ and for the NRL to take GFs elsewhere.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...a6p1fVl52Oc9MuhVEIGTlblAyY#Echobox=1565055106

The state government should consider a smaller stadium at Moore Park if it is unable to build its desired 45,000-seat venue within its budget, the opposition says.

Sports Minister John Sidoti revealed last month that contractor Lendlease had not met "the government’s expectations" for its offer to build a stadium to replace the demolished Allianz Stadium at Moore Park.

Although the government said before the March election that it had signed one contract with Lendlease to demolish the old stadium and build a new one in its place, it now says the contract was always split in two. The contract allows the government to select another builder.

he said it would have between 50,000 and 55,000 seats.

Mr Baird subsequently reneged on the idea of a new Moore Park stadium – preferring to focus investment on improving ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park.

But under former sports minister Stuart Ayres, the policy changed again under Ms Berejiklian as Premier – and the government committed to a 40,000- to 45,000-seat stadium at Moore Park for $729 million.

Other ideas were floated during the development of this policy. For instance, the NRL and Football Federation Australia at one stage suggested the state government build a more modest 35,000-seat stadium at Moore Park.

"We believe the best outcome for sport and taxpayers would be for the current Allianz Stadium to be knocked down and a new 35,000-seat, purpose-built rectangular stadium built in its place, similar to the new $360 million Western Sydney Stadium at Parramatta," NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg wrote to Ms Berejiklian in September 2017.

However, the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust, as well as the Australian Rugby Union, were fierce opponents of a smaller stadium at Moore Park.

The state government has built a 30,000-seat stadium at Parramatta, Bankwest Stadium, for less than its budgeted $360 million.

Asked whether the government would consider building a smaller stadium at Moore Park, Mr Sidoti said through a spokesman: "The NSW government is tendering proposals from construction firms to build the Sydney Football Stadium, on time and on budget for $729 million."

One of the construction firms handpicked by the NSW government to bid to rebuild the venue, AW Edwards, last week said it would not be interested in completing the project.

TheRam

Coach

seanoff

Juniors
I’ll say it again. The design, whatever it is needs to be scaled back. Lendlease arent fools. They have just finished Bankwest under budget apparently. If they think it cant be done, i’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. Politicians do not get extended the same benefit.

It would be fascinating to see what Lendlease thought the final price would be. I’m waiting for the reaction if the other bids are also north of the $730. I cant see how the others would undercut lendlease significantly.

I’ll say it again. The design, whatever it is needs to be scaled back. Lendlease arent fools. They have just finished Bankwest under budget apparently. If they think it cant be done, i’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. Politicians do not get extended the same benefit.

It would be fascinating to see what Lendlease thought the final price would be. I’m waiting for the reaction if the other bids are also north of the $730. I cant see how the others would undercut lendlease significantly.

If you consider BankWest cost $360m. Then for the new SFS to cost more than double, whilst only being 15k seats more, must mean there’s some significant gold platting going on.

Quidgybo

Bench
If you consider BankWest cost $360m. Then for the new SFS to cost more than double, whilst only being 15k seats more, must mean there’s some significant gold platting going on.
Cap it at $400m for a club sized BankWest style stadium and put the remainder towards Homebush +Campbelltown+wherever. Putting aside the ownership question for a moment, imagine how far that saved $300m could go at each of Campbelltown, Penrith and Brookvale ($100m each) or whatever other combination delivers best bang for the money (eg. All $300m at Campbelltown for a BankWest style stadium for full time Tigers and MacArthur Southwest A-League team)

Leigh.

I dare it probably does include facilities that are only available for members of the SCG Trust. Quite a few of them were located in the SFS grounds.

Quicksilver

Bench
Build a 15k stadium in line with Roosters/Tahs typical crowds, spend the balance on ANZ and give Sydney something to rival the MCG. Problem solved.

If it's that size just for the clubs that use it then maybe they should come up with the money for it, along with the local council.

That's what we're told is the deal for suburban stadia,

bazza

Immortal
Build a 15k stadium in line with Roosters/Tahs typical crowds, spend the balance on ANZ and give Sydney something to rival the MCG. Problem solved.
Pretty much
Around 35k seems good to me
If Homebush has a high quality 70 - 80k seater then any huge events can go there

If it's that size just for the clubs that use it then maybe they should come up with the money for it, along with the local council.

That's what we're told is the deal for suburban stadia,

Thing is the ground isn't owned by the local council so that idea is a complete non-sequitur. It is State Government land, held in a trust to use for sporting facilities.

Timbo

Staff member
I think people really need to come to terms with the fact that money is not going to council owned grounds like Brookvale, Penrith and Campbelltown.

The money is going to Moore Park and Homebush and nowhere else. It’s about working out how to get maximum bang for buck from here.

I think people really need to come to terms with the fact that money is not going to council owned grounds like Brookvale, Penrith and Campbelltown.

The money is going to Moore Park and Homebush and nowhere else. It’s about working out how to get maximum bang for buck from here.

Not in the short term, but govts change, ministers change, thinking changes.

For the moment it’s all about Olympic Park & Moore Park, but 10 years time who knows.

Timbo

Staff member
Not in the short term, but govts change, ministers change, thinking changes.

For the moment it’s all about Olympic Park & Moore Park, but 10 years time who knows.

Even with as much red tape that there is, it’ll be sorted before the next election. I don’t see that policy changing under this government.

Jamberoo

Juniors
If soccer can work out a financial plan like this in relatively a short time of existence(the A-League) then what the hell have our club CEO's and managers been up to all these decades?

Manly and Cronulla in particular spring to mind.
It’s not happening because it is soccer, it is happening because it is Victoria. We just get things done here.