What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2019

See it’s come out JWH was waiting by the stage to receive his Churchill Medal after being informed he won it, then they called out Wightons name lol, only in the NRL
Apparently Lockie couldn't get his app to work for his votes, JWH was in the lead till then. But why tell him before announcement?

Will be interesting to see the "review" that happens.
The trainers need to be off the field more.
The rule of ball contact by "offical" needed changing years ago. I'm sure it happened to Warriors in a Storm game and I remember blowing up that Storm got the scrum, when we had possession in our half. Of course nothing changed as "only the Warriors"
now it bites them on the ass.

Not sure how to fix the wrong call right call situation. It was so bloody noisy at the game.

Blair

Coach
Will be interesting to see the "review" that happens.
The trainers need to be off the field more.

It hit its straps with Dessie Hasler. He was everywhere, or was it Tooves?

The rule of ball contact by "offical" needed changing years ago. I'm sure it happened to Warriors in a Storm game and I remember blowing up that Storm got the scrum, when we had possession in our half. Of course nothing changed as "only the Warriors" now it bites them on the ass.

It's 'only Canberra' will suffice for now, buying them some more time to sort it out.

Not sure how to fix the wrong call right call situation. It was so bloody noisy at the game.

On that occasion could they have just stopped play and come back to the last tackle? I'm sure Canberra, the aggrieved party, would've been happy with that.

Matua

Bench
I think you'll always get a bit of that, with him. He carries a bit of weight, in case you didn't notice. However, on balance, he's a great centre. I had deja vu of Big Mal, when he had the ball. He's actually more fleet-footed than Mal ever was.

He had some off-field grub stuff very early in his NRL career. I think he turned that around and became a better man. I'd have him in the centres at the Warriors in a heartbeat. Our centres have been a crutch for us for years. Even in 2011 we had makeshift centres in Lewis Brown, and it didn't really improve from that. In fact, with Kata and a 'clownish' Hurrell, it got worse.

This year we found Herbert, and he should become a good one, under the right guidance.
BJ is a villain player for me, I love to hate him. He's got a punchable face and his antics always annoy (I'd never punch that face though as he;'d crush me).

Agree on your centres and the Warriors call - I've been ranting for years how we've always been happy to play second rowers or just shit centres there.

JJ

Immortal
So awesome - Ricketson looks perplexed, and then Clyde's like 'wow, again, just like when I won it"

jaseg

Juniors
I’m at a complete loss how people can think Cronk shouldn’t have been sin binned. one on one with papilli nearthe line, early tackles that made it impossible for Josh to catch the ball. Gus and Johns were saying shouldn’t haven’t been a sin bin, for ridiculous reasons such as size discrepancy and it was only a fraction early. f**k me, doesn’t matter if Cronk is a midget and the tackle is a nanosecond too early that is a professional foul every day of the week.

A professional foul in that situation would need to be ruled as a deliberate penalty - the timing was so close that there's no way you can say that was deliberate. He was trying to hit him as the ball arrived. It wasn't just a bad call... it was an atrocious one.

So yes, it does matter if the tackle is only a nanosecond too early..

A professional foul in that situation would need to be ruled as a deliberate penalty - the timing was so close that there's no way you can say that was deliberate. He was trying to hit him as the ball arrived. It wasn't just a bad call... it was an atrocious one.

Really enjoy this view on it and should be how it is officiated. But I feel it was consistent with most calls this year. Eg Adam Blairs sin bin.

It hit its straps with Dessie Hasler. He was everywhere, or was it Tooves?

It's 'only Canberra' will suffice for now, buying them some more time to sort it out.

On that occasion could they have just stopped play and come back to the last tackle? I'm sure Canberra, the aggrieved party, would've been happy with that.
Some camera shots couldnt rule out that it didnt touch Tedesco shoulder.

Would a captains challenge help in this situation?

TheDMC

Bench

There is also no way you can say that was not deliberate!

And who should get the benefit of the doubt there? Certainly not Cronk...

I think any early tackle has to be considered deliberate regardless of whether it was in reality or not intentional, because how on earth can you determine it wasn't deliberate? I mean if you were to deliberately tackle someone early then of course you do it a split second before the ball is in their grasp otherwise its blindingly obvious, and a split second before has the same impact as 2 seconds before, player won't catch the ball. Having played rugby for years, its not that hard to time as a tackler. Add in it is in a potential try scoring opportunity, simply to be judged a professional foul.

There was a fair chance Cronk's tackle wasn't deliberately early (but who knows though?) but he risked it, and had to pay the price. Might have saved a try in the process.

jaseg

Juniors
There is also no way you can say that was not deliberate!

And who should get the benefit of the doubt there? Certainly not Cronk...

I think any early tackle has to be considered deliberate regardless of whether it was in reality or not intentional, because how on earth can you determine it wasn't deliberate? I mean if you were to deliberately tackle someone early then of course you do it a split second before the ball is in their grasp otherwise its blindingly obvious, and a split second before has the same impact as 2 seconds before, player won't catch the ball. Having played rugby for years, its not that hard to time as a tackler. Add in it is in a potential try scoring opportunity, simply to be judged a professional foul.

There was a fair chance Cronk's tackle wasn't deliberately early (but who knows though?) but he risked it, and had to pay the price. Might have saved a try in the process.

.... come on. You can't be serious right now.

A professional foul is a deliberate foul. There's no way you can legitimately say that was deliberate... it's 1000% more likely he's trying to hit the guy as the ball arrives in order to give himself the best chance to win the contact. He's certainly not looking to give away a penalty in that situation. That's just basic RL.

This isn't even close to being a professional foul. Not even close.

Really enjoy this view on it and should be how it is officiated. But I feel it was consistent with most calls this year. Eg Adam Blairs sin bin.

I mean... everyone knows the Blair call etc was wrong. Using that to justify the grand final call doesn't make it any better, particularly when they weren't consistent with it throughout the season. Plenty of times guys didn't get binned for the same sort of thing as Blair..

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
IMO Cronk, at some stage, anticipated Papalii running at him. In the last quarter during the Raiders onslaught of the Roosters in their own half, they couldn't get a storming Papalii 10 meters out from the try line. The one time the Raiders did, they managed a mismatch of Papalii on Cronk. Cronk made a good read but in his haste, got to Papalii a tad bit early.

It was too close for it to be a clear yellow card. However we want the refs to have a feel for the game and whilst Cummins and Sutton were crap, (like Cronk) they realised that Papalii was in with a real chance to score. The situation wasn't a penalty try incident either so I agree with the yellow card for that particular situation.

JJ

Immortal
IMO Cronk, at some stage, anticipated Papalii running at him. In the last quarter during the Raiders onslaught of the Roosters in their own half, they couldn't get a storming Papalii 10 meters out from the try line. The one time the Raiders did, they managed a mismatch of Papalii on Cronk. Cronk made a good read but in his haste, got to Papalii a tad bit early.

It was too close for it to be a clear yellow card. However we want the refs to have a feel for the game and whilst Cummins and Sutton were crap, (like Cronk) they realised that Papalii was in with a real chance to score. The situation wasn't a penalty try incident either so I agree with the yellow card for that particular situation.
Spot on, except the last sentence imo

Players are always pushing, it was just what any good defender would do, he got there as quickly as he could and ended up a bit early - Cronk was going to hit him anyway, so doubtful Papali'i scores there... he's a beast so there's a chance, but Cronk was focused on stopping him - clear penalty, beyond that I think people are over reading it... just my 2c

Matua

Bench
Spot on, except the last sentence imo

Players are always pushing, it was just what any good defender would do, he got there as quickly as he could and ended up a bit early - Cronk was going to hit him anyway, so doubtful Papali'i scores there... he's a beast so there's a chance, but Cronk was focused on stopping him - clear penalty, beyond that I think people are over reading it... just my 2c
In rugby they work on the system that if the player who committed the illegal act wasn't there then would it have been a try ... is it the same in league?

JJ

Immortal
In rugby they work on the system that if the player who committed the illegal act wasn't there then would it have been a try ... is it the same in league?
Good question - I am not sure, I had thought it was just if they didn't commit the act... certainly Cronk had the opportunity to tackle him, but the timing was wrong...

At the end of the day, Canberra had their chances and couldn't get it done - Roosters had that bit of magic when needed

Matua

Bench
Good question - I am not sure, I had thought it was just if they didn't commit the act... certainly Cronk had the opportunity to tackle him, but the timing was wrong...

At the end of the day, Canberra had their chances and couldn't get it done - Roosters had that bit of magic when needed
6 again, nah, JK. You mean that magic?

JJ

Immortal
6 again, nah, JK. You mean that magic?
Well, I mean what Keary and Mitchell did after that lol

The six again was a shame - he corrected a wrong call, but Wighton had moved on and didn't hear/listen....

A shame... if indeed it shouldn't have been 6 again, them having those tackles and possibly scoring would have been bad... at the end of the day it wasn't a bad spot to give the Roosters the ball...

There's plenty of grand finals with debatable referee decisions that were influential - the two referee system seems to complicate... in the old days that beaver refers to, Cronk's tackle might have been play on as there was no replay, and Canberra would have got 6 again...

Intense grand final though, and two clubs I dislike...

Latest posts