What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Friggen morons. Coming on a Souths forum bagging our players who were forced into retirement and you club and our fans, then having the hide to try to steer it all back on us. Honestly, why don't you all grow some balls and go to redfern and bag is. Miserable cowards. Piss off and stay off.

BadnMean

Juniors
Had a mate who reckoned he was overrated.
I made him sit down and watch a game and every time Sam did something I said “Sam”

after about 40 instances he acknowledged the fact that he was wrong.
Most non Souths fans wouldn’t watch their games close enough to see all the stuff he did.
All those “1% plays” the average fan doesn’t even notice. It was always Sam doing it. Hs ability to read the play and clean up stuff or shut down what others didn’t see coming was amazing

True. Difference between Souffs with Sam & without has been night & day.

It was easy to see & admire his GF heroics- and that was genuinely tough to even stay out there, let alone play a blinder.

But he was more than just flashy plays.

I enjoyed watching him play as a neutral. Not many players draw in neutrals like that to sit & watch.

I think the infection can be regarded as a new illness/issue & he can be paid out. But the reason fans are pissed off is the way the whole Inglis scam was pulled- it still stinks to high heaven & that's why people are saying, "Here we go again..."

Tiger5150

Bench
Friggen morons. Coming on a Souths forum bagging our players who were forced into retirement and you club and our fans, then having the hide to try to steer it all back on us. Honestly, why don't you all grow some balls and go to redfern and bag is. Miserable cowards. Piss off and stay off.

You must be a troll. This is a NRL forum, not a Souffs forum and no one is bagging him.

Is this guy for real?

Ok Im done

MilkShark

First Grade
Ok sure.

I just think a bloke who is not playing does not count.

I think ex players should be looked after.

That is just me.
Its just a job, we all have one. They have more spare time than the avergae joe working 9-5.

They know life after football is something they need to consider.

Earn your millions and do a course instead of playing xbox in your spare time.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Again, no one is against Sam Burgess getting his money. He should get it. Every damn cent. He's earned it.
Its about the salary cap implications. And you can say f**k the cap if you like, but f**k the cap suits about 3-4 clubs and hot tip, yours and mine arent in that group
Meh, accountants...

f**k the cap.

Get better.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Its just a job, we all have one. They have more spare time than the avergae joe working 9-5.

They know life after football is something they need to consider.

Earn your millions and do a course instead of playing xbox in your spare time.
Dugan is not the topic.

Lol at this thread. Sam is 30... Should have another four good years in him easy if it wasn't for this injury.

Souths would also prefer to have him fit, in the team and firing. Even if we get cap dispensation for this year, there's nobody in the same league as him available for 2020, only 2021 and of course, we have to throw big overs at them to pry them away from whoever they play for now. So basically, we're already down on ability from 2019 to 2020 before a ball has even been kicked.

On top of this, we've lost Inglis and Sutton this year as well... Our three most experienced and arguably also most influential players, all gone in the space of 12 months.

Have a look at our squad now... Bennett will be scratching his head as to who to name as captain. Cam Murray is a year or two off that sort of thing and there's basically no one else with the right credentials.

Sam at 60 - 70% would've been in this team and captain next year so the fact that the club has let him retire just goes to show that he has nothing left.

Not sure how people look at these circumstances and decide that we are trying to somehow rort the system. He was the best player in our team.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
True. Difference between Souffs with Sam & without has been night & day.

It was easy to see & admire his GF heroics- and that was genuinely tough to even stay out there, let alone play a blinder.

But he was more than just flashy plays.

I enjoyed watching him play as a neutral. Not many players draw in neutrals like that to sit & watch.

I think the infection can be regarded as a new illness/issue & he can be paid out. But the reason fans are pissed off is the way the whole Inglis scam was pulled- it still stinks to high heaven & that's why people are saying, "Here we go again..."
Agree wholeheartedly

MilkShark

First Grade
No you can be average Joe.

Sam had 10 maybe 15 years.

My nerdy arse can look after firewalls until I have dementia.
You seriously do not get it.
Nah I get it.

Good luck making the money Sam made in 10 years looking after firewalls your entire life.

The guy doesn't need to work another day in his life.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Jesusss, some of these Souths fans... I hope Headspace operate extensively in the Redfern area.

As for medically retiring Sam and Gillett with nothing to be counted on the cap. Yeah fine, go for it. Because the week after we'll sign JWH & Friend to 5yr 3m deals and medically retire them after 2-3 years, thus allowing us to retain the likes of Verrills.

That can of worms, beware beware...

Tiger5150

Bench
Lol at this thread. Sam is 30... Should have another four good years in him easy if it wasn't for this injury.

Souths would also prefer to have him fit, in the team and firing. Even if we get cap dispensation for this year, there's nobody in the same league as him available for 2020, only 2021 and of course, we have to throw big overs at them to pry them away from whoever they play for now. So basically, we're already down on ability from 2019 to 2020 before a ball has even been kicked.

On top of this, we've lost Inglis and Sutton this year as well... Our three most experienced and arguably also most influential players, all gone in the space of 12 months.

Have a look at our squad now... Bennett will be scratching his head as to who to name as captain. Cam Murray is a year or two off that sort of thing and there's basically no one else with the right credentials.

Sam at 60 - 70% would've been in this team and captain next year so the fact that the club has let him retire just goes to show that he has nothing left.

Not sure how people look at these circumstances and decide that we are trying to somehow rort the system. He was the best player in our team.

Speaking for myself, and I think most of the responses in this thread, no one is disputing anything you have said in this post, its about the NRL consistently applying the rules. To help you see the point let me paraphrase your words....

"
Brett Stewart is 30... Should have another four good years in him easy if it wasn't for this injury.

Manly would also prefer to have him fit, in the team and firing. Even if we get cap dispensation for this year, there's nobody in the same league as him available for 2017, only 2018 and of course, we have to throw big overs at them to pry them away from whoever they play for now. So basically, we're already down on ability from 2017 to 2018 before a ball has even been kicked.

On top of this, we've lost Jamie Lyon and Glen Stewart this year as well... Our three most experienced and arguably also most influential players, all gone in the space of 12 months.

Have a look at our squad now... Trent will be scratching his head as to who to name as captain. DCE is a year or two off that sort of thing and there's basically no one else with the right credentials.

Brett Stewart at 60 - 70% would've been in this team and captain next year so the fact that the club has let him retire just goes to show that he has nothing left."

Making more sense now?

lynx000

Juniors
Mate you definitely aren't the sharpest tool in the shed are you? You are posting on the NRL forum, not the Souths forum.

Last edited: