What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

Galeforce

Bench
I said it earlier in the thread and people said it would never happen, but what is stopping a club offering the best young player in the game a 20 year contract? Then just have them retire when they get to 32/33 and they have a guarenteed 'coaching job' for the next 7-8

Yes Tigers would do try this ( appears they tried it with RF)

Problem is NRL approve a contract for players. They would not sign off a 20 year contract.

OLD age retirement or average form is not a medical retirement justification.
Even though the Tigers appear to have gotten away with the latter this year.

Your thick head does not understand both GI and Sam B were offered contracts on the basis they would play out those years. Both had unfortunate injuries , which did not allow them to continue.

GI retired himself , as he could not continue.Contract ended. Souths offered him an ongoing job , I or none other posters here know the details of this. So you can speculate all u want with no facts. All I do know is NRL investigated it.

Sam injured , medical advice he cannot continue due to shoulder bone issues.the NRL investigating this for true medical retirement case.

In both cases , Souths signed the players to legit contracts for reasonable time periods , with NO contract promise for job after playing days. This is what the tigers were caught trying to do with RF contract.........Tigers was a rort. Souths unfortunate event for two great players.

axl rose

Bench
I said it earlier in the thread and people said it would never happen, but what is stopping a club offering the best young player in the game a 20 year contract? Then just have them retire when they get to 32/33 and they have a guarenteed 'coaching job' for the next 7-8
Greenberger is so in bed with Souths players they don't even bother to hide it anymore. It's obvious how they lured Inglis from Brisbane, after he had agreed to terms.

Tiger5150

Bench
You do not even know what you are talking about.

If Souths paid $3.6m as a lump sum or $360k a year for role , how does that change your perception of the coming salary cap decision ?

The answer is there is NO real difference , except I read it as that instead of paying Sam $1.2m per season to play ..........Souths honour the contract of $3.6m , however have agreed with Sam to spread it over 10 years. Good for Souths cash flow and gives Sam an ongoing job/career opportunity.

This announcement has nothing to do with salary cap decision , it is just how Souths will ensure Sam gets his contract money.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the salary cap decision. Souths dont need to "ensure" Sam gets his contract money....its the law. Its a contract and thats what it is for. Souffs HAVE TO pay Sam regardless. This bullshit is Souffs "ensuring" that his contract money for playing RL doesnt come off their salary cap. You do realise that they are doing exactly what they did with GI dont you? Sam is foregoing the rest of his Contract money, therefore they wont need the medical retirement clearance (because they dont qualify).

I understood Tigers offered Farrar a contract which essentially was ( not correct figures , you can research it , but they highlight the issue) play for two year for $200k pa and then we give you a job for two years for $500 k Pa. This is a rort

Except that is totally wrong and/or made up. The promise of a post career was made to Farah when he left the Tigers to go to Souffs. There was no agreement to come back, in fact the club did not want him back. Farah only came back because Souffs cut him because they no longer needed him with Cook killing it. If Souffs had kept him/renewed his contract Farah would never have come back to the Tigers. In short when he was promised the post career job, he was never going to play for us again and never get paid for playing for us again.

Souths had a bona fida contract with Sam signed Oct 2018 . He gets injured early in season , had what is supposed to be a minor surgery fix mid season , worse than thought , gone by end of season,
Souths commit to pay his full contract out and seek the retirement payments for 2020/21/22 to be excluded from salary cap. There was NEVER any sort in the first place with the contract.He got injured.

EXACTLY. He has a contract to play up until 2022, he busted his busted shoulder that he had previously had reconstructed (pre-existing injury). So like every other player in the NRL he is entitled to every cent of his contract and it should be part of Souffs salary cap.

As for the job now , instead of paying Sam out full contract value in one go $3.6m , they are trying to set it up over 10 years with a job. Pretty good conclusion for both parties.

Its a great conclusion for Souffs & Burgess. Burgess gets paid for nothing and Souffs find a way to cheat the cap.

Tiger5150

Bench
Your thick head does not understand both GI and Sam B were offered contracts on the basis they would play out those years. Both had unfortunate injuries , which did not allow them to continue.

My heads a bit thick, can you elaborate on GI's "unfortunate injury"? At the time it was reported it was a mental health issue and he was praised for being so brave to confront it. What was his injury, broken brain?

GI retired himself , as he could not continue.Contract ended. Souths offered him an ongoing job , I or none other posters here know the details of this. So you can speculate all u want with no facts. All I do know is NRL investigated it.

GI retired himself, and said he wouldnt get paid his contract money, therefore it came off the cap. If you cant see the issue of then paying him the same money for a "job" you are ignorant. The fact that the NRL "investigated" it does not fill me with confidence.

Sam injured , medical advice he cannot continue due to shoulder bone issues.the NRL investigating this for true medical retirement case.
A "true medical retirement" case is the player gets a new, unique career ending injury at a specific moment in a specific game during the period of his contract. The result of a "true medical retirement" is that the player gets paid his Contract money and it is excused from the clubs salary cap. this is what happened for Matulino and (I think) Watmough. It did not happen for Matai or Stewart at Manly.

If this was a "true medical retirement" for Burgess, what is the reason for the 10 year job to "ensure" he gets paid his contract money?

It is the clearest rort Ive seen for a long time. the fact that Souffs have done it twice in 12 months shows they arent even trying to cover it up.

Tiger5150

Bench
Is anybody else (other than me) suspicious of the timing of this announcement of Burgess' 10year job to recoup his money?

I mean the NRL have been "investigating" a Souffs claim for medical retirement for some weeks, and then all of a sudden this comes out?

To me it seems like Greenburg has been to see Richo and said "You see, we are having a problem with this because you see....Sam has busted this shoulder a number of times before his last contract and it might look bad, how about......."

Springs09

Juniors
Why do Souths have to pay Sam? The contract I'm guessing was to play rugby league, if he decides not to play rugby league then he isn't fulfilling the contract. If the contract states that even if he retires he has to be paid the full amount of his contract - well then that goes on the cap.

If Souths then pay him 360k a year over ten years or whatever it is then they aren't fulfilling the previous contract anyway, as the money was for over the next 3 years, not 10.

In any case, if Souths want to pay Sam $3.6m for doing nothing then it comes off the cap. If they want to pay it by employing him in an 'admin' role well lets see how many of their admin are on 10-year, $360k per year contracts. I'd be surprised if anyone in the office other than major positions like the CEO are on over $100k per year.

Tiger5150

Bench
NRL is dammed if they allow this precedent, watch the flood gates open if its approved

Darius will be the Broncos kicking T boy for the next 10 years

Flood gates were opened the moment that Greenburg applauded GI leaving as beautiful and brave.

simmo05

Bench
Lmao so Souths are gonna pay Sam 3.5m over 10 years to walk around the offices serving tea like Lurch from the Addams Family.

But that's not cap cheating? Fmd.
Just keep him away from south's Facebook page. You wouldn't want too much cock waving going on there

Perth Red

Post Whore
I still have no problem with a player being paid out and not on the future cap if it is a genuine injury certified by an independent NRL Dr that means a player has to retire. Be it a new injury or eventual failure of a chronic condition. They play one of the most physically demanding and damaging sports in the world. Clubs should have insurance to cover the cost so it doesnt bankrupt them but end of day if a player genuinely can't play he should get his contract money and a club shouldn't be penalised for misfortune.

Id say the same for any player that gets an injury that puts them out for 40% or more of a season, on injured reserve and off the cap.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Why do Souths have to pay Sam? The contract I'm guessing was to play rugby league, if he decides not to play rugby league then he isn't fulfilling the contract. If the contract states that even if he retires he has to be paid the full amount of his contract - well then that goes on the cap.

too logical for the squealing tigers fans to comprehend :cry:

Tiger5150

Bench
too logical for the squealing tigers fans to comprehend :cry:

Its exactly what we have all been saying all along. Sam has a contract, he has to get paid, and it should be included in teh salary cap. That is the rules. Hard to understand how anyone can think otherwise. Are you and your mate seriously saying Souffs shouldnt have to pay him because he is injured (playing for Souffs)?

Sparkles 2001

Juniors
It's signed, sealed and endorsed systematic salary cap cheating
And every club should be taking notes and acting accordingly. The Raiders are currently negotiating an extension for Jarrod Croker, at 29, we'd be utterly stupid not to double his years and half his cap hit knowing a medical retirement can be achieved and a cushy office job given to him to ensure he never misses a cent.

Will help us give Bateman and Wighton the upgrades they're seeking

Good evening
So I see you do support the mighty green machine!

Galeforce

Bench
My heads a bit thick, can you elaborate on GI's "unfortunate injury"? At the time it was reported it was a mental health issue and he was praised for being so brave to confront it. What was his injury, broken brain?

GI retired himself, and said he wouldnt get paid his contract money, therefore it came off the cap. If you cant see the issue of then paying him the same money for a "job" you are ignorant. The fact that the NRL "investigated" it does not fill me with confidence.

A "true medical retirement" case is the player gets a new, unique career ending injury at a specific moment in a specific game during the period of his contract. The result of a "true medical retirement" is that the player gets paid his Contract money and it is excused from the clubs salary cap. this is what happened for Matulino and (I think) Watmough. It did not happen for Matai or Stewart at Manly.

If this was a "true medical retirement" for Burgess, what is the reason for the 10 year job to "ensure" he gets paid his contract money?

It is the clearest rort Ive seen for a long time. the fact that Souffs have done it twice in 12 months shows they arent even trying to cover it up.

Mate , you are confusing a bunch of stories on GI.

Google , why did GI retire.

"Why has Greg Inglis retired?
On 15 April 2019, Inglis announced his immediate retirement from the NRL due to ongoing injury concerns. On 30 August 2019, Inglis was announced at centre in the Queensland Maroons Team of the Decade."

As a Souths fan , clear GI was playing busted in his last year , with knee/ankle injuries , first one then the other.His body could not take his weight and playing style and the years took their toll.
Yes he has also had mental issues and some included dealing with his injury issues and facing retirement.

Look up the facts instead of believing your memory and last media story/or dopey forum comments.

Latest posts