What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Crashtest

Juniors
According to the Daily Telegraph, May in injured. Does anyone know what, or how severe, his injury is? As he may not be fit in time for selection in the 9's.

This is the part about May included in the DT article about Josh Reynolds:

The NRL is expected to announce the decision on Friday afternoon, along with the news that Penrith Panthers player Tyrone May will be free to resume his playing career, having missed the entire 2019 season while facing sex tape charges.

May, who is currently injured, is expected to be fined but will be free to play when fit.

betcats

Referee
According to the Daily Telegraph, May in injured. Does anyone know what, or how severe, his injury is? As he may not be fit in time for selection in the 9's.

This is the part about May included in the DT article about Josh Reynolds:

The NRL is expected to announce the decision on Friday afternoon, along with the news that Penrith Panthers player Tyrone May will be free to resume his playing career, having missed the entire 2019 season while facing sex tape charges.

May, who is currently injured, is expected to be fined but will be free to play when fit.

Nathan said this last Wednesday:

"He's been looking pretty good – had a few injury setbacks but other than that he's been good and raring to go"

Dean Faraway

Juniors
The article indicates he is banned until Round 5?
Yeah the article has been edited since it was first published. Guess he wouldn’t have been back in the top grade straight away and now reports that he is injured. He’ll give Ivan Weary some flexibility when he’s ready to go though.

Whino

Bench
Martie will be happy.
The Katoa name lives on at Penrith. In the Harold Matthews Cup.
From the Tele.
Captain and five-eighth Isaiya Katoa, the younger brother of former Panthers-turned-Canterbury hooker/lock Sione Katoa, has impressed in the pre-season with his off-field leadership qualities.

Fangs

Coach
Martie will be happy.
The Katoa name lives on at Penrith. In the Harold Matthews Cup.
From the Tele.
Captain and five-eighth Isaiya Katoa, the younger brother of former Panthers-turned-Canterbury hooker/lock Sione Katoa, has impressed in the pre-season with his off-field leadership qualities.

TGIF @martielang lets hope Hymel Iosefa gets a game soon as well.

Pomoz

Bench
Then why does the military have these kind of issues then ? https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/k...ay-into-abuse-and-bullying-culture-in-the-adf

That doesn't sound like great leadership to me.

Generalisation and sweeping claims about how the military is the best ever for teaching leadership (in my opinion) is flawed.

Many organisations do well in teaching and scaffolding others into leadership. It often depends (I've found) on positive and mutally respectful relationships they are formed and then enhanced.
If a policeman is found guilty of fraud, does that mean all policeman must be bent? Nothing is perfect and there are bad people in all walks of life. The male dominated, life or death environment of the military is a perfect breeding ground for bullies and abuse. There is a fine line between military discipline and abuse and sometimes people overstep that line.

I experienced bullying in the military and witnessed it myself. It happens and those who do it are eventually found out and removed. Incidentally, I have seen just as many bullies in the large corporations I joined in my business career. Not physical violence, but abuse and bullying none the less.

I would also say the behaviour of many of the CEOS and senior executives I worked with, would simply not be tolerated in the military. Things like blaming others for your mistakes, going home early to leave your staff to pull an all nighter, shouting at junior staff, putting yourself first before your staff, taking credit for others work.

In the end, I can only go on my experiences in the military and at large companies like Price Waterhouse, GE, Vodafone and Brambles among others. GE was supposed to have the best leadership programme amongst the large corporations. It was nothing compared to the training a junior NCO receives in the military let alone people reaching the lofty heights of colonels and above. Hours and hours of intense training, assessment and retraining.

Literally millions of dollars is spent in developing leaders, leadership programmes and assessment systems. This simply doesn't happen in corporations on anything like the scale of the military.

Leadership is a fascinating subject. Here is a link to the ADF's paper on leadership.https://www.defence.gov.au/adfwc/Documents/DoctrineLibrary/ADDP00.6-Leadership.pdf

In its opening chapter it points out there are over 13,000 books on the subject and over 200 different definitions on leadership defined by academics. It is a complex subject and as I said, in my experience the military do it best, but not perfect.

Pomoz

Bench
I bought that up as an illustration that no one group has all the cards, and all the clues regarding leadership.

Please refer back to my previous comments about respective and mutally equal relationships. (in another thread)

I believe that these qualities allow leadership to flouish. The dictator leadership model has a timeframe and doesn't allow others to change and grow into their respective roles.
Your reference to a dictator model, implies you think that is what the military is. The paper pulls this model to pieces and explains why it isn't sustainable (although sometimes useful in the right situations). If you read the ADF paper (her is the link again https://www.defence.gov.au/adfwc/Documents/DoctrineLibrary/ADDP00.6-Leadership.pdf), you will note that the military had concluded a long time ago that respective and mutual relationships are better, subject to the limitations of the military context. You can't debate a battle plan when under fire and a sergeant says "move", that is not the time for a whiteboard discussion. A review of its leadership framework (which can be found here https://www.defence.gov.au/publications/docs/DLFBooklet.pdf) would reveal that the ADF's approach to leadership is multi-faceted and graduated to acknowledge the need for different capabilities as a General as against a Lance Corporal and everything in between.

They don't have all the answers, but unlike most corporations its leadership models is tested in the heat of battle when peoples lives are at stakes and thus it is subjected to the highest stress test you can apply.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I agree a dictorial leadership model for the military works well.

Your comments about how wonderful this model is for civilian life I disagree. There are too many issues regarding bullying and abuse of power over too many years to make (in my opinion) such a claim.

I personally favour a collaborative model where a leadership group works well to achieve a common goal. Where each person is valued and ideas can be formed and refined with mutual respect. My work in early childhood works on this model of leadership. (the centre that I worked in not for profit, local govt)

I replied to your original statements because of some overarching generalisations which were made. Which I strongly disagree with.

I agree to disagree on this subject and won't be commenting again, as I'd sooner talk about footy.

OldPanther

Coach
I agree a dictorial leadership model for the military works well.

Your comments about how wonderful this model is for civilian life I disagree. There are too many issues regarding bullying and abuse of power over too many years to make (in my opinion) such a claim.

I personally favour a collaborative model where a leadership group works well to achieve a common goal. Where each person is valued and ideas can be formed and refined with mutual respect. My work in early childhood works on this model of leadership. (the centre that I worked in not for profit, local govt)

I replied to your original statements because of some overarching generalisations which were made. Which I strongly disagree with.

I agree to disagree on this subject and won't be commenting again, as I'd sooner talk about footy.

The Panthers did just go to a military style camp to learn about leadership, team work and get the fitness up.

Funny thing is my Navy experience was the furthest thing from dictatorial. As much as possible we actually ran ourselves. Sure you follow orders but even at recruit school we had to be responsible for ourselves and as of week 2 we had a rotating roster of class leader, who would be in place of the leading seaman who is the instructor, that changed every day so everyone had to do it multiple times over the course of recruit school.

Pomoz

Bench
="Aliceinwonderland, post: 13987772, member: 48844"]I agree a dictorial leadership model for the military works well.

Your comments about how wonderful this model is for civilian life I disagree.
Alice please reread my comments properly. I have said precisely the opposite to what you have concluded.

franklin2323

Immortal
ESPN ranked the NRL fullbacks

Edwards came in 15th.

Attachments

• E09E502F-90D7-4EB3-A407-AE7D02875E05.png
    E09E502F-90D7-4EB3-A407-AE7D02875E05.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 16

welshmagpie

Juniors
Ladies and gents, first of all best of luck to Penrith in 2020.

I have a random query that I’ve been trying to find the answer to for a while.

Is Dylan Edwards eligible for Wales?

Thanks in advance