What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Kilkenny

Coach
Katoa I didn't rate at all in the NRL. I felt his service was far too slow. (or maybe the fact that his partner is a follower of Taylor Winterstein) that probably helped it along too.

I don't think Katoa will be good for the dogs week in week out. (which you need for a hooker)

I hope Katoa is a huge success for the Bulldogs. I think he will be if he is allowed to play his natural game.

Without getting into the anti vax scenario he is actually a really nice young fellow, I have met him and his family albeit ubering when he had his 21st. He so wanted to stay with the Panthers and so did his family, particularly his mum, but alas it was not to be. At least his career in the NRL has been extended by his being picked up by the Bulldogs.

We have a history over recent years of bringing thru really talented dummy halves only for them to not take the next step, I don’t quite know why that is! Masada, Romero, Katoa, Egan , Mosley, Soni Luke ( who I understand is back at the club) there are plenty of others. Is it a coincidence or a lack of property coaching and development I don’t know but something is wrong?

Anyway good luck to Sione Katoa he has what it takes to have a solid NRL career just needs to right coach to let him do what he can do best.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I hope Katoa is a huge success for the Bulldogs. I think he will be if he is allowed to play his natural game.

Without getting into the anti vax scenario he is actually a really nice young fellow, I have met him and his family albeit ubering when he had his 21st. He so wanted to stay with the Panthers and so did his family, particularly his mum, but alas it was not to be. At least his career in the NRL has been extended by his being picked up by the Bulldogs.

We have a history over recent years of bringing thru really talented dummy halves only for them to not take the next step, I don’t quite know why that is! Masada, Romero, Katoa, Egan , Mosley, Soni Luke ( who I understand is back at the club) there are plenty of others. Is it a coincidence or a lack of property coaching and development I don’t know but something is wrong?

Anyway good luck to Sione Katoa he has what it takes to have a solid NRL career just needs to right coach to let him do what he can do best.

I wonder why didn't these kids do great things at other clubs when they left (if it was just about our coaching)

I think it's more of the case out of 100 talented under 20's players only one of two make it to the big time.

I think Katoa will join this first group. He was given every opportunity to make it at Penrith, but his service from dummy half was too unpredictable and too slow.

Not all lovely blokes make elite footy players.

franklin2323

Immortal
I wonder why didn't these kids do great things at other clubs when they left (if it was just about our coaching)

I think it's more of the case out of 100 talented under 20's players only one of two make it to the big time.

I think Katoa will join this first group. He was given every opportunity to make it at Penrith, but his service from dummy half was too unpredictable and too slow.

It is attitude. Penrith being like a small town hurts cause all they here is how good they are from a young age. So cut corners

franklin2323

Immortal
I like the enthusiasm and workrate that Kenny offers. However if May is cleared to play he is an obvious choice off the bench as he can cover most positions.

I would pick Kenny over May to start if Api got injured. I see May being like Peachey and filling in as injuries dictate. So both I see getting decent runs

Kilkenny

Coach

Alice you are so right and so wrong at the same time.

Transition from Jersey Flegg/ Ball/Matts is as you say 1 in 20 makes it to the NRL and even then not necessarily the most talented.

Sione Katoa was much maligned on here and regardless of what your thoughts were on his footballing ability he was a victim in some respects of our system.

We have great junior pathways which is evidence in why so many of our juniors enjoy solid or better NRL careers at other clubs. Just the way it is and the way it will always be.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sorry I don't agree. I think it's a cop out to blame solely the club and the coaching. At what point does a person take on the outcomes for their own career. That is no ones responsibility except for the player themselves. It's like saying so and so made me do.

The only player I can recall who went on to amazing things was Wade Graham. Any others were in great teams.

The development system changed when Gus took over so that hardly counts. Prior to this the pathway had almost 'dried' up.

I think players themselves must take on board the lessons learnt and development put into them. There must be accountability for attitude and willingness to work hard.

Crashtest

Juniors
I like the enthusiasm and workrate that Kenny offers. However if May is cleared to play he is an obvious choice off the bench as he can cover most positions.

I'd still prefer Kenny over May as the bench utility. Kenny is a better hooker, and a better defender at lock. And if a half is injured during a game, they can move Api to the halves and Kenny to hooker.

Then if Capewell is on the bench as well, he covers second row and also centre/outside backs. And still leaves room for two middle forwards on the bench.

So we don't really need May's versatility at being able to play not very well in a number of positions. He should have to earn his spot back in the 17 through Canterbury Cup performances and his off field effort and attitude.

OldPanther

Coach
From reading the quotes below from Kenny, about how he never thought about leaving, wants to learn as much as he can from Api, and never wanting to leave, I am glad we have kept him as our back up hooker to Api, rather than Egan and Katoa. With his awesome attitude, and easy to see why he made a difference to a struggling side last year, despite being a rookie & learning a new position.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/0aaf08116de9a93f9dea018e523c463c

“Basically, Ivan respectfully wanted to let Wayde and I know first before it came out in the media that Api would be coming across to the club,” Kenny told foxsports.com.au

“He wanted us to know we were still valued members of the team and that he didn’t want to see us leave.

“Obviously there were further conversations held between Wayde, his manager and the club when other opportunities came up for him and there were no hard feelings around that.

“For myself, obviously there’s that human reaction of ‘oh, I’ve lost my spot’, so it’s a bit of a punch in the gut, but there are so many more upsides to it. Now I’ve got a really good leader in front of me and someone to learn off.

“Api’s been more than helpful this pre-season. We’re really good mates and he’s teaching me a lot.”

While Egan joined the Warriors on a three-year deal with a view of becoming the club’s long-term hooker, Kenny didn’t think that moving on was ever an option for himself.

“I wanted to stay. This club gave me my chance,” Kenny explained.

“I knew I had a lot to learn about playing in the No.9 and I knew Api coming across would be a really good figurehead to do that with.

“Wayde and Sione (Katoa) were both more well-rounded hookers than I am. It just happened that I had that opportunity last year to play and I was a good fit for the team at that point in time.

“I never thought I owned the No.9 jersey here and that it was mine. I knew that something like this might happen and I think it’s going to be really good for me in the long-term having Api here.

“I never thought about leaving. I always wanted to stay.”

“I’m not sure if I’ll be available for Round 1. If so, I’ll be pushing to be in the 17 to share some hooking duties or play in the middle.

“I played all my footy at lock before last year, so I’d happily do that if the opportunity is there.

“I guess it comes down to the makeup of the team and what works best for us and having a balanced side.

“If I need to play a little bit of reserve grade before I can force my way back into the 17, I’m happy to do that as well.”

It's nice to see he is being humble and just working hard. I don't mind losing a player I like if we can build a good team culture.

Crashtest

Juniors
It's nice to see he is being humble and just working hard. I don't mind losing a player I like if we can build a good team culture.

He certainly fits the bill for Ivan's mantra for this season: Attitude must match ability

NOTE: Or whatever the exact words Blade 23 used when he posted about it earlier in the off season. But it was along those lines

OldPanther

Coach
He certainly fits the bill for Ivan's mantra for this season: Attitude must match ability

NOTE: Or whatever the exact words Blade 23 used when he posted about it earlier in the off season. But it was along those lines

I'm happy with that. Having worked for both Coles and the RAN I've seen first hand how poor culture or good effects performance and morale

John Hamblin

Juniors
I've no doubt that is precisely the position. He aint gonna wear the 14 in round 1 that's for sure, even if he's allowed to play.

I agree that he should have to earn his spot but Kenny may not ( please forget the pun) be fit for round one. If that's the case who is the utility on the bench for round one Burton? . He could fill in at half or five eighth and Luai can cover hooker etc.

OldPanther

Coach
Who had a good culture?

The Navy. Coles is as toxic as it gets.

Edit: Coles version of leadership is give people more work than they have time for then chastise them for not accomplishing it.(this is a deliberate thing as explained by a long time store manager turned area manager)

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
The Navy. Coles is as toxic as it gets.

Edit: Coles version of leadership is give people more work than they have time for then chastise them for not accomplishing it.(this is a deliberate thing as explained by a long time store manager turned area manager)
I guessed as much. In my experience, most civillian organisation's have no understanding of leadership. The military are better at it than any other organisation. They study it and spend hours and dollars training people to become better leaders. They give lance corporals and service equivalents more leadership training than companies give their highest paid executives and managers.

In the military, ultimately, bad leadership results in the death of service personnel. In civilian life, generally speaking, the only thing at stake is profits. Poor leadership has led to deaths in heavy industry like mining and construction, or where safety is a key concern, but in office work and the like it really is not an issue.

NRL 2020: Penrith Panther Matt Burton in top 30 after impressive debut
Amanda Lulham, Penrith Press
February 5, 2020 4:25pm

A small tattoo will replace the special headgear rugby league teenager Matt Burton wore in his NRL debut for the Penrith Panthers in tribute to a childhood mate.

Burton said the black headgear owned by his friend and St John’s Dubbo teammate Sam Fraser, who drowned at 16 in an accident at the Macquarie River, will be framed along with the jersey he wore during his first game for the Panthers against the Cronulla Sharks.

“I have always done that as a kid. He was my best mate. I always wore his headgear and had his name on my wrist,’’ said Burton, 19, a star of the NSW under-20s in 2019 before his debut call-up to the NRL last August.
“It reminds me why I am here and what I am doing it for.’’

And while the headgear will be retired, the memory of his mate will be with Burton every time he steps on the field as he plays out the dream they plotted together as rugby league mad kids.

“Everyone dreams about that, playing NRL,’’ Burton said.

Now Burton is living the dream after Penrith promoted the young playmaker to the club’s top 30 squad.

“His performance on NRL debut showed he possesses both the skill and the temperament required to handle the challenge of first-grade,’’ said coach Ivan Cleary.

Aiding Burton’s goal to be a regular on the field this season is his strong work ethic.

“I worked a lot. My parents taught me how to work,’’ said Burton, bought up in Dubbo but now based in Penrith in a team house with fellow players.

“I have always had a part time job. All different. A lifeguard at the pool, I worked at a laundry mat, been a kitchen hand. My parents manage a pub and I give them a hand.

“The goal is to work hard and try and get more first grade NRL games.’’

Penrith will host reigning premiers, the Sydney Roosters, in round one of the 2020 NRL.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...t/news-story/08e639df95acacbbc8b247a9f7065fb5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I guessed as much. In my experience, most civillian organisation's have no understanding of leadership. The military are better at it than any other organisation. They study it and spend hours and dollars training people to become better leaders. They give lance corporals and service equivalents more leadership training than companies give their highest paid executives and managers.

In the military, ultimately, bad leadership results in the death of service personnel. In civilian life, generally speaking, the only thing at stake is profits. Poor leadership has led to deaths in heavy industry like mining and construction, or where safety is a key concern, but in office work and the like it really is not an issue.

Then why does the military have these kind of issues then ? https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/k...ay-into-abuse-and-bullying-culture-in-the-adf

That doesn't sound like great leadership to me.

Generalisation and sweeping claims about how the military is the best ever for teaching leadership (in my opinion) is flawed.

Many organisations do well in teaching and scaffolding others into leadership. It often depends (I've found) on positive and mutally respectful relationships they are formed and then enhanced.

Last edited: