What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

typicalfan

Coach
I agree to a point in that, but it should also cater to the people that love and support the game too. Either way, does anyone really think that that ad will convert any major numbers of new fans. If they do, they are kidding themselves.

Go woke, go broke.
Yet Fox are the ones making budget cuts apparently.

TheRam

Coach
If you're concerned by the number of tries, hit ups or tackles in the ad, you're probably going to watch the game regardless. I can't imagine anyone seriously not watching the game anymore because they don't like the ad.

Who said anything of the sort.

To all of you on here. For reasons wide and varied, would it be fair to say that RL is more than just a game to you?

Mateship, kinship, family or working class pride, or if you’re indigenous, it’s a platform to express yourself where you’re otherwise invisible. There’s reasons other than the game itself that you love about it. Don’t you feel a little bit of pride knowing the game deals with indigenous issues better than that other game? Or the women’s game hasn’t had to deal with the misogynistic garbage that’s going on in that other game? Don’t you like to remind the naysayers about these things at any given opportunity?

And to the Kents that think politics should stay out of the game, I’d argue we’ve always been political. The media brings class into it whenever they trot out ‘the working mans’ game’ line. ‘Women in League’ or Indigenous Round is not just a celebration but reminders of issues that need to be addressed. That’s all politics.

The NRL ad is expressing all of the above. It’s a worthy story to tell. The Foxtel ad is ‘kick your shoes off’ and settle in (your living room) for some light entertainment. It’s just fluff.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Are you a News Ltd journo? The NRL has done no such thing. They always produce an abridged ad that can be used as a commercial, of course it wasn't going to feature the full cutaway to Latrell & the girl singing :face_palm:♂️

Don’t get your panties in a knot Timmah. I was simply prefacing the article.

Of course? Ah, so you work for the NRL advertising department and know what parts they’d edit out? Cool bro. Nice emoji that didn’t even appear too lmao.

Well said @TheRam but the snowflakes here drown out anyone that dares dream of criticising anything that involves wokedom. By extension you must be a boomer, bogan or bigot. These snowflakes don’t have the mental aptitude to separate criticism for a footy ad, with criticism for some groups they highlighted.

Xcalibre

Juniors
To all of you on here. For reasons wide and varied, would it be fair to say that RL is more than just a game to you?

Mateship, kinship, family or working class pride, or if you’re indigenous, it’s a platform to express yourself where you’re otherwise invisible. There’s reasons other than the game itself that you love about it. Don’t you feel a little bit of pride knowing the game deals with indigenous issues better than that other game? Or the women’s game hasn’t had to deal with the misogynistic garbage that’s going on in that other game? Don’t you like to remind the naysayers about these things at any given opportunity?

And to the Kents that think politics should stay out of the game, I’d argue we’ve always been political. The media brings class into it whenever they trot out ‘the working mans’ game’ line. ‘Women in League’ or Indigenous Round is not just a celebration but reminders of issues that need to be addressed. That’s all politics.

The NRL ad is expressing all of the above. It’s a worthy story to tell. The Foxtel ad is ‘kick your shoes off’ and settle in (your living room) for some light entertainment. It’s just fluff.

Nope. All I care about is excellent on field action, Tribalism of my team and the people who made it what it is today.

Sick of everything being political. No need to make all these political statements/stands. Just live it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope. All I care about is excellent on field action, Tribalism of my team and the people who made it what it is today.

Sick of everything being political. No need to make all these political statements/stands. Just live it.

The game was born out of politics! I'm proud the game I support has never shied away from critical social issues of its time. Sport is much more than just a game.

Not to mention the growing evidence base that staff expect their organisation and boss to be on top of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...k-out-on-social-issues?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Good post.

Ive followed this game for 30 years and original Tina Turner ad wouldve got me excited then, adding also I lived in a house full of mad Eels fans.

As the years went by things have changed, not just the game on the field but how things changed off it. We've embraced different cultures, accepted people for who they are, supported women in the game, what matters most is the behavior of the players and officials

This ad has certainly cause controversy because of the 'political' message and I get what Greenburg's message was. What he said he wanted to show what we've achieved in the past 30 years and target new fans.

There a lot who would agree and disagree but I'm guessing if there was a poll more than 50% say they like that ad.

Look I'm not a huge fan of the ad, I wouldve preferred a little bit of on field footage of Tedesco, Addo-Carr, Tuivasa Sheck, Moses, Taumalalo, Ponga etc, but I'd still give the ad a thumbs up.

I have nothing against the 'political stuff' Lattrell bit, a proud indigenous player and good on him, and the two women kissing, I like how we've still carried on the traditional Origin "mate against mate" now its "lover against lover".

My only real bother was the inaccuracies of things like the El Masri bit which they have since fixed up and the Trbojevic brothers playing when they really wouldve been nappies or yet to be. Only the NRL couldve missed that. Also lets never mentioned Super League.

Also a young a Cam Smith has a much better quality TV than the Turbo brothers and the people of Newcastle. Typical lol.

I just hope next year they stick with the Tina Turner song, but nothing surprises with the NRL if they chop it.

I saw something on Youtube the other day and how Tina Turner first came into the game in 1989 and then 1990 when Simply the Best first started.

I heard there were so many jurnos and league officials that hated the idea at first and also knowing how much was spent on the ads.

Simply the Best I think cost so much money that there was fear of how much was left to go around to other clubs.

Well that was certainly money well spent. A huge gamble paid off.

We should thank John Quayle.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Of course? Ah, so you work for the NRL advertising department and know what parts they’d edit out? Cool bro. Nice emoji that didn’t even appear too lmao.

Well said @TheRam but the snowflakes here drown out anyone that dares dream of criticising anything that involves wokedom. By extension you must be a boomer, bogan or bigot. These snowflakes don’t have the mental aptitude to separate criticism for a footy ad, with criticism for some groups they highlighted.
Calling others snowflakes while you've spent days in here giving a full throated moan about an ad because it contains things that upset you... yeah ok

As for your smart-arse remark about knowing what they'd edit out, it's literally been published:

The NRL say he won’t be as much a focus of the 30-second commercial that will be wheeled out during the season.

LINK: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/souths-claim-nrl-hung-mitchell-out-to-dry-20200307-p547vg.html

AJB1102

First Grade

How are people who don't care/see a problem to complain about the "snowflakes" in this?

I would've thought the pansies who can't cop 2 chicks kissing and carry on about all the ways the ad rubbed them the wrong way would be the delicate, sensitive ones?

Person 1: "This, this and that bothers me"
Person 2: "Doesn't bother me"
Person 1: "f**king snowflake"

lol listen to yourself for a second.

Getting drowned out by opposing opinions just means you're in the minority. Stick to facebook echo chambers if opposite views bother you.

How are people who don't care/see a problem to complain about the "snowflakes" in this?

I would've thought the pansies who can't cop 2 chicks kissing and carry on about all the ways the ad rubbed them the wrong way would be the delicate, sensitive ones?

Person 1: "This, this and that bothers me"
Person 2: "Doesn't bother me"
Person 1: "f**king snowflake"

lol listen to yourself for a second.

Getting drowned out by opposing opinions just means you're in the minority. Stick to facebook echo chambers if opposite views bother you.

Pretty much this, its hilarious seeing people calling others snowflakes whilst having a sook about two women kissing or a top indigenous athlete draped in the aboriginal flag.