What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year 2020

franklin2323

Immortal
Aekins 6
Mansour 8
Whare 5
Naden 7
To'o 6
Luai 6
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 7
Tetevano 7
Kikau 7
Yeo 7
Fisher-Harris 8

Crichton 7
Burns 4
Leota 6
Martin 5

I know Mansour threw a terrible pass, but he had 21 runs, ran 236m, had 65 pcm, 7 tackle breaks, a try assist and a line break assist. In 36 degree heat.

If it’s between him and Whare of who gets dropped to fit in Crichton, then it’s a no brainer to me that it should be Whare.

Mansour has looked better. Still slow but doing enough right.

Still think Crichton should be fullback until Edwards is back. After then centre is his spot

Crashtest

Juniors
Your right about Naden he came up with some really big plays even if he is heart in mouth stuff with some of his defensive issues.

He is worth persevering with at centre though. He has developed his passing game, and his defence will keep improving the more he plays there. In in the meantime he adds a lot to the team by being one of our genuine scoring threats.

Plus he showed his never give up attitude in that game as well. His chase to force the drop out was one example. But his sprinting the length of the field from the opposite corner even though he was never going to catch Dufty, just to force him to put the ball down out wide saved the team 2 points from the missed conversion. In 36 degree heat, a lot of players wouldn’t have bothered with that sort of effort.

Crashtest

Juniors
Still think Crichton should be fullback until Edwards is back. After then centre is his spot

Centre should definitely be his spot. Except I would play him there like Fittler did with Turbo in State of Origin last year, which is when in attack giving him freedom to roam around the middle of the field rather than being permanently stuck on an edge.

With his lack of knowledge in defensive positioning as a fullback, I can see why Cleary isn’t giving him 80 minutes there at the moment. But for him to play 80 minutes right now, I’d be dropping Whare for Crichton.

franklin2323

Immortal
Centre should definitely be his spot. Except I would play him there like Fittler did with Turbo in State of Origin last year, which is when in attack giving him freedom to roam around the middle of the field rather than being permanently stuck on an edge.

With his lack of knowledge in defensive positioning as a fullback, I can see why Cleary isn’t giving him 80 minutes there at the moment. But for him to play 80 minutes right now, I’d be dropping Whare for Crichton.

Aekins isn’t much better defensively and with Edwards injury prone. Good to have the options

soc123_au

Staff member
Aekins 6 - I dont think he has the step up needed to stay in the team.
Mansour 7 - Has his limitations, but he is having a red hot crack. I think he is trying to reinvent himself. I hope he succeeds.
Whare 5 - Great tackle on Frizell, but not much else.
Naden 7 - Love his effort, He will only get better
To'o 6 - Quiet game compared to what we know he is capable of.
Luai 6 - Did some nice things, needs to get more involved.
Cleary 8 - Great player, this is the year he lives up to the hype.
Tamou 7 - Give him the 2 years he wants at a reasonable price.
Koroisau 7 - Love him
Tetevano 7 - Solid, much improved from last week.
Kikau 7 - Beast when used properly
Yeo 8 - Unlucky with the intercept, but looking like he is back to his best.
Fisher-Harris 8 - Severe man crush on this bloke. What a weapon.

Crichton 7 - Great impact. I'm liking him coming on in the last 20. He will start soon enough.
Burns 4 - Didnt really notice him.
Leota 6 - Some good runs, needs to improve the discipline.
Martin 3 - Another poor showing. He will get there, still a very good prospect.

martielang

Bench
Aekins isn’t much better defensively and with Edwards injury prone. Good to have the options

ffs Franklin based on what? I can’t remember Aekins making a defensive error.

You are right with Crichton, he’s a gun, but you’ve got your blinkers on.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Round 2 vs Dragons

Aekins 5
Mansour 6
Whare 6
Naden 7
To'o 6
Luai 6
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 7
Tetevano 6
Kikau 7
Yeo 7
Fisher-Harris 7

Crichton 6.5
Burns 5
Leota 6
Martin 5

franklin2323

Immortal
ffs Franklin based on what? I can’t remember Aekins making a defensive error.

You are right with Crichton, he’s a gun, but you’ve got your blinkers on.

I think a fullback should of been in place to stop the Roosters 2nd try last week

Using Fox sport stats. Aekins played 120mins. Crichton 40mins

Tries Crichton 2. Aekins 0
Linebreaks Crichton 1. Aekins 0
Run metres Aekins 232. Crichton 163
Total runs Aekins 29. Crichton 17
Tackle bust Crichton 5. Aekins 1
Both missed a tackle. Aekins made 2. Crichton made 1

Well what did Aekins do to warrant keeping his spot?

Last edited:

BxTom

Bench
Your right about Naden he came up with some really big plays even if he is heart in mouth stuff with some of his defensive issues.
Hopefully he will improve with experience. Coming through the juniors, especially U20's, it seems to be a question of who can score the most points, daylight second defence third.

Pomoz

Bench
Like Old Panther, I like to watch the match twice to give a fair ranking. ITs amazing what you miss the first time with the adrenaline pumping. Anyhoooow:

Round 2 vs Dragons

Aekins 6
Mansour 7
Whare 5
Naden 7
To'o 6
Luai 6
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 8
Tetevano 7
Kikau 6
Yeo 7
Fisher-Harris 8

Crichton 7
Burns 6
Leota 6
Martin 6

A couple of points:
  • I have never seen JFH and the Terminator in the same room. Just saying. The man is a machine, we should clone him;
  • Whare is now too slow to be effective. He can't get by on one decent tackle a game, even though I don't question his effort. Incidentally, Frizell looks like he wants to leave, very ordinary game. Tyson who?;
  • The calls to drop Aekins are unfair. He delivers consistency and metres. Surely the team is better minus Whare plus Crichton, not minus Aekins plus Crichton?;
  • Martin made one error but in my view made up for it with the try assist, showing a good turn of speed to draw in the defenders. But what really stands out are his hits. He smashes people. With no crowd you can hear the "oomph" when he tackles quite clearly. Nobody else (besides Hethrington) has that intimidation. Kikau could have, but he is a bit "Tony Puletauish" and goes quiet for long periods. He needs to be fired up before he unleashes his beast of a frame and then watch out. We need to persevere with Martin, he can really change a game coming of the bench with Hethrington and smashing the tripe out of anybody stupid enough to run at them;
  • Good on sauce for doing the job of two men bringing the ball out in 36 degree heat. I know he couldn't run out of sight on a dark night, but he is a human tractor, racking up the metres;
  • The pack deserve a pat on the back. For the second week running, they all muscled up when required and St George have a big, tough pack. Kikau was a bit quiet and Burns didn't have a lot of minutes, but overall the pack laid the floor, Api and Cleary built the roof.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
I think a fullback should of been in place to stop the Roosters 2nd try last week

Using Fox sport stats. Aekins played 120mins. Crichton 40mins

Tries Crichton 2. Aekins 0
Linebreaks Crichton 1. Aekins 0
Run metres Aekins 232. Crichton 163
Total runs Aekins 29. Crichton 17
Tackle bust Crichton 5. Aekins 1
Both missed a tackle. Aekins made 2. Crichton made 1

Well what did Aekins do to warrant keeping his spot?
Safe under the high ball, completely error free and that's about it. He cannot beat the first line to save his life and is desperately slow. I'm sure Yeo would beat him over 25m and probably Tamou as well. Crichton appears to have superior game reading skills and can make a break. Edwards is due back next game anyway. Crichton WILL be part of this side. Blocker likened him to Folou just before they showed the cross on his head.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Aekins 6
Mansour 7
Whare 6
Naden 7
To'o 6
Luai 6.5
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 7.5
Tetevano 7
Kikau 7
Yeo 7.5
Fisher-Harris 7.5

Crichton 6.5
Burns 5
Leota 6
Martin 6

Tronald Crump

Juniors
I'm really surprised by the lack of love for Whare. Chopped down Frizzel to stop a certain try in the first 5 & generally held our right edge together. Would have had a try except for Dufty's intercept.

Most times tries saved are worth more than tries scored. Whare is still our best on that count.

Whare is a good defender but he gets left behind at times with speed.
Pereira flew past him on the way for the Dragons 2nd try. The most concerning one was the one the Dragons bombed before half time with a forward past. Wiliame burned him for pace and I can still hear Michael Ennis's voice. 'Wiliame got past Whare with ease, WITH EASE'.

TheFrog

Coach
About time I did this.

Round 2 (Dragons) Average Ratings

Aekins 5.6
Mansour 6.4
Whare 5.0
Naden 6.6
To'o 5.8
Luai 5.8
Cleary 7.8
Tamou 6.7