What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Warriors/NRL Stuff (during Covid-19 break)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There's still 5-6 regular season rounds to go. It's a disaster. It's like the Warriors having their 2002 season cut short.

Oh shit. For some reason I thought they were more or less at the end. That really does make it difficult.

Blair

Coach
Tremendous memories...

upload_2020-3-30_15-48-30.jpeg

We were thrashed 48-6 the weekend prior, by the Knights, so this exciting win really got our season going in '95.

Blair

Coach
love that sharks logo (and for that matter the AUCKLAND warriors)

I wanna go back to being called 'Auckland'. I know I'm not alone there. The appeal, back then, was for a club side, from Auckland, to enter the premiership. Now we've sort of morphed into a national side.

Or maybe I'm just feeling overly-sentimental.

I loved '95, apart from missing the finals.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd be done for league then, I want to support a NZ team. I've been in Oz 5 years now and have no attachments to any Australian team in any sport. :) I would only watch the Kiwis.

Yeah...I think over time I'd have to go back to supporting the Panthers, but it wouldn't be the same.

Been through so much shit and happy times with this club, it'd be devastating to think there might not be any more in the future - as much as it might be desirable at the moment with the way the club is going.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah I don’t think I’d have much interest in the NRL without the Warriors. I might end up half-arsedly following Souths just because my workplace is pretty heavily Rabbitohs but any real passion for the game would be gone apart from the Kiwis. And I don’t see an NZ domestic comp holding much interest these days as all the talent would get well and truly picked over by the remaining NRL, ESP and Union sides.

Blair

Coach
Yep, Warriors and NRL or bust. A resurrected Bartercard would hold zero interest - to me anyway. I know there's some heavier hardcorers than me in here who would get into it.

Same, and 25 seasons floated by and we never won it. I wouldn't have picked that back in '95.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep, Warriors and NRL or bust. A resurrected Bartercard would hold zero interest - to me anyway. I know there's some heavier hardcorers than me in here who would get into it.

As I've said elsewhere I'd quite like to see a resurrected local comp later in the year if NZ restrictions ease but international travel restrictions make NRL untenable for the season. But that'd be a stopgap, not a replacement. And of course it would actually feature Warriors players, not just club standard talent.

Juju

Juniors
As I've said elsewhere I'd quite like to see a resurrected local comp later in the year if NZ restrictions ease but international travel restrictions make NRL untenable for the season. But that'd be a stopgap, not a replacement. And of course it would actually feature Warriors players, not just club standard talent.
I think the Warrior squad's should be loaned to local clubs. Do a NBA / NFL style draft - it would generate a fair bit of interest for the coming season

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think the Warrior squad's should be loaned to local clubs. Do a NBA / NFL style draft - it would generate a fair bit of interest for the coming season

That's basically what I was thinking of. Once they know how many weeks they've got to fill, work out the number of sides needed to run a one off competition in that time, pick the top club sides to be entered, and the Warriors plus players from any other clubs that didn't make the cut can be drafted in. Im sure there would be no problem getting some decent TV coverage.

Juju

Juniors
That's basically what I was thinking of. Once they know how many weeks they've got to fill, work out the number of sides needed to run a one off competition in that time, pick the top club sides to be entered, and the Warriors plus players from any other clubs that didn't make the cut can be drafted in. Im sure there would be no problem getting some decent TV coverage.
Would also get pretty decent community engagement I would think.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Would also get pretty decent community engagement I would think.

especially if venues were shared around the country. With that in mind I’d probably bade the teams on national competition sides rather than clubs,

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think our 2021 is in grave danger too. The govt is looking to stamp out the virus completely and to do that, the border is going to need to be closed. No one will be able to play here, and we won't be able to go overseas without self-isolating/being quarantined for two weeks.

Obviously that's negated by a vaccine being produced.