What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell Mitchell

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Of course, there’s always a jockey out there that takes offence to common sense. So typical of some younger generation participants.
I suspect I'm older than you and I agree with grouch.

The older I get, the more I realise how little I know, and the more there is to learn.

SBD82

Coach
Sadly there is a narrative that sells papers in Australia, and the underlying message is that indigenous players are a bunch of whingers, and that they should shut up and be grateful for the opportunities afforded to them by sports. It’s our own shameful version of the “run n****r run” phenomenon that was criticised in the movie Higher Learning.

Thankfully Rugby League is historically not as bad as AFL in this regard, but it would be foolish to think that we are impervious to it. And there are elements of the media who cynically stir up tension surrounding the issue.

Latrell is a 22 year old who has been thrust into the spotlight and is having to negotiate becoming a man while dealing with a media that is thirsty for headlines. He has pressure from all sides. The expectation that he navigates the situation perfectly is absurd. Very few 22 year olds would be expected to, or be capable of doing so. I don’t envy his position.

BLM01

First Grade
BLM01,
I agree that the media do overdo it.
That’s always been the case but more so nowadays.

My point was that the mud won’t stick if they don’t make themselves a target.
Most achieve it, some don’t.

They dont... the media unfairly target some NRL players with the minor stuff that the players have no control over.......when plenty other higher profile people are guilty of exactly the same minor misdemenours.
Lets face it. What has Latrell really done wrong, what mud is sticking and why? (and dont go the social distancing thing..plenty have done that)
Be a kid, speak what he thinks...with not a lot of maturity.(he is what 21?)
..is that his continual crime that the media so vigourously chase and yearn a story for but then immediately go into lockdown when someone informs them that their just might be a possible mental illness (then telling all and sundry to leave the player alone). It does not matter if a player plays the mental illness card just to get the media off their back.because that is the only thing that works..but if they are suffering...the media play a huge role in pushing people towards it and should be held accountable for more than they are
In regards to him chasing another club.
Some player managers are the conductors of this orchestra...or circus whatever you want to call it...and still get their 6%

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
They dont... the media unfairly target some NRL players with the minor stuff that the players have no control over.......when plenty other higher profile people are guilty of exactly the same minor misdemenours.
Lets face it. What has Latrell really done wrong, what mud is sticking and why? (and dont go the social distancing thing..plenty have done that)
Be a kid, speak what he thinks...with not a lot of maturity.(he is what 21?)
..is that his continual crime that the media so vigourously chase and yearn a story for but then immediately go into lockdown when someone informs them that their just might be a possible mental illness (then telling all and sundry to leave the player alone). It does not matter if a player plays the mental illness card just to get the media off their back.because that is the only thing that works..but if they are suffering...the media play a huge role in pushing people towards it and should be held accountable for more than they are
In regards to him chasing another club.
Some player managers are the conductors of this orchestra...or circus whatever you want to call it...and still get their 6%

I do see your point and when one looks at it in that light then yes , he Mitchell has been hung , drawn and quartered for what has to a degree been blown out of proportion .

Nevertheless I do understand where OKI is coming from , he Mitchell needs to leave his heritage out of the equation in future .

Off the number of incidents that have occurred over the last few months involving NRL players the one that to me truly stands out is the Curtis Scott affair .

Last edited:

Saint Pedro

Juniors
Great discussion all of you. If anyone has any spare time( I will if I can) find out the number of Latrell newspaper articles that portray him in a negative light since he started playing footy. He is excessively portrayed as the villain thus it must be true. Murdoch, packer and politis are to be completely trusted in the ongoing hunt of Latrell Mitchell.

Saint Pedro

Juniors
THIS.

As you say OT, there are a number of players who keep putting themselves in bad positions yet, when the public call them out, they then cry racist or try leaning on their heritage as an excuse.

Really pathetic to be honest and in fact, if anyone should cry racist, it should be the public in general.

They are boys in men’s bodies need to stop blaming everyone else and start looking in the mirror.

l always admired Mundine senior. A very good boxer who never shot his mouth of and never used his heritage to say he’s hard done by. These players need to grow up and look at real men like him, as to how they should carry themselves.

To me, Latrell in particular has had too much success and money for his own good. He treated his teammates and the Roosters club extremely poorly, hence uncle Nick got rid of him.

Instead of people sucking up to Latrell, people should take a leaf out of Politis book and call it as it is.

If Latrell can’t hack it, he can move on ..... or, he can prove he’s a champion and learn from it all and stay in the game and get even better.

Then, everybody wins.
What is real man?

BLM01

First Grade
I do see your point and when one looks at it in that light then yes , he Mitchell has been hung , drawn and quartered for what has to a degree been blown out of proportion .

Nevertheless I do understand where OKI is coming from , he Mitchell needs to leave his heritage out of the equation in future .

Off the number of incidents that have occurred over the last few months involving NRL players the one that to me truly stands out is the Curtis Scott affair .
I agree with @Old Kogarah Boy 1 and yourself.
Re Curtis Scott..unfortunately all the facts have not been made public and we can only assume or judge for ourselves what has gone on there and the old chestnut of "legal loopholes"
No one is more cynical and suspicious as me re when people after stuffing up using mental health, race or anything they can cling onto as a get of jail card if in fact it is fake and crying poor me.
And Yes i am also over the racism cards and division being thrown back in our face...although for many years, black or indigenous people across the globe have been poorly treated and they deserve to also have a voice.
It is almost now the balance and the pendulum is going back pass equality the other way especially in respect to what you can and cant say.
Back on track..what rugby league players in QLD and NSW anyway face from media and the public social media vitriole is appauling for such minor indiscretions. People are just hanging on for another little story to throw mud and I can only put it down to "tall poppy syndrome"..nothing else

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Your anger is noted. You say Latrell Mitchell should have kept his aboriginality out of it.

Latrell has been caught breaking social distancing rules and, heaven forbid, he then spoke his mind.

Although, Mitchell never did "cry racist". There is an irony about the lengths some folks will go to when exaggerating these things.

It is true he has spoken out against racism in the past and will no doubt continue to do so.

Nevertheless...

Imagine a 'better' world where black athletes kept their mouths shut.

Not saying you are a bad person, but your argument sounds all too familiar.

No anger in my comments but certainly some frustration.

We all make mistakes, however some people tend to look for the easy way out, possibly to blame something or others as opposed to accepting that they had stuffed up. There has been a number of players over the past couple of years who, having made poor choices, then look to pass the blame elsewhere.

The old chestnut of race has been trotted out, so too has a newbie, mental health, which will no doubt continue to get a serious workout, sadly, while those who are really suffering from it, get tarred with the same brush.

l just like to see people of all cultures, accept that when they have made a mistake, own up to it. Then, in most cases they are seen in a better light by doing so.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'd like to see more indigenous athletes speaking out and reminding everyone of their heritage. If only to frustrate those who disapprove of such 'behaviour'.

Unlike AFL and Goodes, Mitchell won't be booed out of the game - hopefully.

Isn't OKB essentially saying that in this instance it wasn't the time to bring up heritage? What relevance is it as a response to breaking a law that has been quite clear and applies to all Australians? It's great that he's a proud indigenous person and it's fantastic that he and others celebrate it. And so he should. But in this instance, it appears to have been used to as an attempt to get out of a predicament.

At least that's what I'm taking out of OKBs comments.

Old Timer

Coach
  1. If anyone wants to make a statement that he is a proud aboriginal man / woman of which ever particular nation they belongs to that is a wonderful thing.
  2. To embrace your culture and keep it at the forefront of things that you do in life and for it to provide guidance and make you and your people proud is also a wonderful thing.
  3. To make a stand and speak out against injustices and present your people in a positive light is also a wonderful thing.
However if you use your aboriginal heritage as a crutch or an excuse for stuffing up then you are none of the points raised above.

Man up that you f**ked up and accept the punishment and make no reference to anything but your "mistake" and perhaps how you will do better next time that you are confronted with a situation.

The media should also make no references to or present evocative photos eluding to being indigenous as part of the issue and they need to be condemned for doing so.

It really shits me that when Latrell does something questionable the media show a photo of him draped in the Aboriginal Flag.

If you are going to show a photo make sure it is relevant and pertinent to the issue at hand instead of trying to incite peoples opinions and emotions about another subject altogether.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Isn't OKB essentially saying that in this instance it wasn't the time to bring up heritage? What relevance is it as a response to breaking a law that has been quite clear and applies to all Australians? It's great that he's a proud indigenous person and it's fantastic that he and others celebrate it. And so he should. But in this instance, it appears to have been used to as an attempt to get out of a predicament.

At least that's what I'm taking out of OKBs comments.
I'm sure OKB has been more than capable of expressing his own thoughts on the subject. But it's OK that you have stepped into that role.

Just so you know, the claim is that Mitchell did "cry racist" after being fined for breaking social distancing laws - it was more of an accusation than anything else. Now, it isn't my place to verify this accusation, so can you find the source to back this up?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm sure OKB has been more than capable of expressing his own thoughts on the subject. But it's OK that you have stepped into that role.

Just so you know, the claim is that Mitchell did "cry racist" after being fined for breaking social distancing laws - it was more of an accusation than anything else. Now, it isn't my place to verify this accusation, so can you find the source to back this up?

You seem to be clutching at straws to pick an argument.

l merely commented on how some players are using their heritage as a way out of apologising for stuffing up.

As l said, we all stuff up, the only difference is some cop it on the chin, others look for an escape.

l prefer not to have to clarify my comments any further.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For a start, Mitchell did apologise. So why make out he didn't?

Perhaps he didn't apologise enough?
l prefer not to have to clarify my comments any further.
Of course you don't. And that's fine.

So can we assume the "cry racist" accusation was an overeaction on your part?

Bench
My heritage can be traced back to an English gentleman sent to Australia on a convict ship. The other side of the family comes from Irish ancestors,
In my eyes I am proud of my heritage and I am sure Mitchell is extremely proud of his heritage. Mitchell should be held in high esteem for what he has achieved for him and his heritage.
He could be a role model for his people showing what can be achieved.

avocado

Juniors
My heritage can be traced back to an English gentleman sent to Australia on a convict ship.
Me too. My great great great great great grandfather came here on the Scarborough.

Latrell is the best centre since Inglis and I’d have him at Kogarah in a heartbeat.

True_Believer

Juniors

I'm sure he is. Am I not allowed to clarify that for the sake of a conversation on a public forum? I'm not stepping into any role. As I clearly said, it's what I'm taking out of his comments.

Last edited:

epDragon62

First Grade
Hmmm, fine to proud of one’s heritage, so long as it not seen as justification feel better than the next.

Latest posts