What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

It’s pretty simple. How do you prove JAC & Mitchell were lying about the cultural aspect?

Now apply the same standard to Nathan. It’s easy to prove he lied.

GongPanther

Referee
No, they’re not.

Prove to me the JAC & Mitchell thing wasn’t cultural.
Shooting tins with shotguns and having a rallycross is not cultural. I would have been convinced if they were filmed around a campfire, painting on bark, making Aboriginal hunting tools like a Boomerang...that is cultural.

What they were doing was having a boys week-end away.

Guns and Trail bikes are proof its not cultural

No they’re not.

Just because guns & bikes didn’t exist in Aboriginal lore, doesn’t mean the get together itself didn’t have a cultural aspect to it.

You’re essentially saying something has to be 100% authentic in order for it to be cultural.

Shooting tins with shotguns and having a rallycross is not cultural. I would have been convinced if they were filmed around a campfire, painting on bark, making Aboriginal hunting tools like a Boomerang...that is cultural.

See my reply above.

it doesn’t have to be 100% authentic for someone to consider it to have a cultural aspect.

franklin2323

Immortal
No they’re not.

Just because guns & bikes didn’t exist in Aboriginal lore, doesn’t mean the get together itself didn’t have a cultural aspect to it.

You’re essentially saying something has to be 100% authentic in order for it to be cultural.

Well if a group of white people/Islanders/asians whatever did the same thing it would be a group of guys breaking isolation.

I don’t doubt guys were struggling with life and needed a boost but so are most people.

franklin2323

Immortal

That is how I see it.

I believe it was too help mates struggling mentally but so are plenty of people

betcats

Referee
Latrell and JAC's lies were much worse really. Bringing in bullshit cultural excuses is pathetic.

I thought Nathan should have got a month straight off the bat

I didn't like that excuse tbh and all of them probably deserve worse punishments but in this case I don't really care about the other two, they are someone else's problem. We have hitched our immediate future to the Nathan and his father, they need to be better than this, the punishment might not line up with the others but he still got off lightly imo.

betcats

Referee
The cultural thing is no excuse even if true. Everyone is under the same lockdown here and lots of people would be struggling mentally because of it. Latrell claimed JAC told him some of his cousins were struggling and they went away to help them out because getting into the bush is a big part of their cultural which is true, but they cant just let everyone who is struggling under these circumstance break the rules it really doesn't matter what your culture is. Using that is bad excuse, I don't see it as a blatant lie in the manor of Nathans but its still a cop out and no excuse at all for what they did.

All Indigenous guys on a weekend away, it’s not a stretch to see how they could think it was cultural.

Wearing flannel isn’t culturally consistent either, but that doesn’t make it a lie.

B5CD45C8-97C6-4106-BC83-7F59A9D3A3A0.jpeg

franklin2323

Immortal
I didn't like that excuse tbh and all of them probably deserve worse punishments but in this case I don't really care about the other two, they are someone else's problem. We have hitched our immediate future to the Nathan and his father, they need to be better than this, the punishment might not line up with the others but he still got off lightly imo.

Mitchell and Addo-Carr should know better too though. We aren’t talking some rookie all are just as bad as each other. All should of said. We stuffed up and it would of been over quickly

forby

Juniors
They originally said it was just a trip away. It wasn’t until they were coached what to say did they come up with the cultural visit claim. Illegal shooting and trail bike riding is worse than lying about a tik tok video. Besides isn’t this behaviour the culture of people their age?
Political interference and correctness is the reason for the different treatment. Do you think that LM and JAC will get any further punishment if the police charge them? I doubt it! The NRL has to play the PC game!

Exsilium

First Grade
It’s unlike the NRL to latch onto a scapegoat.

It is what it is, dumb behaviour from all parties but arguing consistency withIn the NRL is redundant.

TheFrog

Coach
Guns and Trail bikes are proof its not cultural
Gun culture, biker culture, everything is cultural. Christmas is cultural. Mothers Day is cultural. Drinking piss is cultural. Men and women dancing is cultural. Cultural means precisely squat. The NRL is afraid of minorities, that's the size of it.

Wearing flannel isn’t culturally consistent either, but that doesn’t make it a lie.

A bit chilly up in the hills behind Taree to be getting around in traditional attire (ie a small cloth over the dangly bits) so Chinese made flannelette shirts it is.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
I really have the shits with Addo Carr.
For the past 6 weeks, I haven't been able to spend Easter or Mother's Day with my family, due to social distancing. Yet that thickhead who lives interstate thinks he has the right to travel into another state to have a weekend of leisure and put other people at risk. I have been doing the right thing, yet brainless didn't
I am glad he copped a $50k fine but he will probably get it back on his next inflated contract.

He should he been suspended too along with the fat one.

Whino

Bench
I read with interest on the weekend that Nathan wasn't going to be dropped from the leadership group.
I think that is a mistake. He lied to the club, fans, and the NRL. That is not the behavior I expect from someone in a leadership group.
Although it may be his only mistake to date, I believe it sends the wrong message to a younger player looking up to him.
He should be pulled out of the leadership group for the remainder of the season and be made to earn it back.

Latest posts