What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

mongoose

Coach
Gold Coasters have had years to get behind their team. If they haven't done it by now then they're never going to. There's just too much to do down that way. It would be better to shift them to Logan as there's less to do entertainment wise. In Logan there are lots of parklands for families to pass and kick a ball around, so that's what people do. No beaches or big fancy tourist attractions is good for a rugby league team as it means there's less entertainment options for the locals. Never put a team in a tourist city.

your comments are nonsense. DO you really think there is "more to do" on the gold coast than in Brisbane in the middle of winter? no one who lives on the Gold Coast is going to movie world every weekend LOL. Logan has lots of parks hahah yeah no parks on the gold coast anywhere

your comments are nonsense. DO you really think there is "more to do" on the gold coast than in Brisbane in the middle of winter? no one who lives on the Gold Coast is going to movie world every weekend LOL. Logan has lots of parks hahah yeah no parks on the gold coast anywhere
They may not go to Movie World but they might go to Sea World, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Dreamworld, Surfers Paradise or any of the night clubs. A former NZ Kiwi once said it himself, he moved to the GC to play for the Giants or whatever they were called because the women were hot. If there is one thing the Gold Coast is known for up here it's its night life is second to none. Where do you think people from Brisbane flock to on a Friday night after work, clogging up the southbound lanes?

Gold Coasters love the surf and take surf sports very seriously. The beaches are popular all year around.

There's plenty of fun stuff to do at Mt Tamborine. It attracts plenty of locals each weekend.

Logan has lots of parks in ratio to its size and they are far more important as a social hub to the locals than the ones on the Gold Coast. If you ever lived here you would know what I mean. A person from the GC will go to the beach with their mates, whereas in Logan it's a trip to one of the parks for a picnic and game of footy.

I've lived in south-east Queensland all my life. One thing that has never been up for debate up here is the Gold Coast is a livelier place than Brisbane. People move to the Gold Coast because they are social butterflies and want to be out and about on the weekend. It's a far more superficial place than Brisbane.

Rugby league fans are blue collar and tend to not care about keeping up with the Joneses. These sort of people are not as common on the Gold Coast as there's too much peer pressure to fit in.

Last edited:
Canberra don't produce much talent? lol we won the inaugural under 20s comp with local talent, beating the Broncos in the final. We also made the final a few times. Just because we have some players from England doesn't mean we don't produce our own local talent. By local I mean Canberra and southern NSW/Riverina area.
How much of this talent was born and raised in Canberra? Including talent from southern NSW doesn't count.

mongoose

Coach
They may not go to Movie World but they might go to Sea World, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Dreamworld, Surfers Paradise or any of the night clubs. A former NZ Kiwi once said it himself, he moved to the GC to play for the Giants or whatever they were called because the women were hot. If there is one thing the Gold Coast is known for up here it's its night life is second to none. Where do you think people from Brisbane flock to on a Friday night after work, clogging up the southbound lanes?

Gold Coasters love the surf and take surf sports very seriously. The beaches are popular all year around.

There's plenty of fun stuff to do at Mt Tamborine. It attracts plenty of locals each weekend.

Logan has lots of parks in ratio to its size and they are far more important as a social hub to the locals than the ones on the Gold Coast. If you ever lived here you would know what I mean. A person from the GC will go to the beach with their mates, whereas in Logan it's a trip to one of the parks for a picnic and game of footy.

I've lived in south-east Queensland all my life. One thing that has never been up for debate up here is the Gold Coast is a livelier place than Brisbane. People move to the Gold Coast because they are social butterflies and want to be out and about on the weekend. It's a far more superficial place than Brisbane.

Rugby league fans are blue collar and tend to not care about keeping up with the Joneses. These sort of people are not as common on the Gold Coast as there's too much peer pressure to fit in.

Sea World, Dream World, Wildlife sanctuaries? you have to be kidding me.... if you honestly think the average Gold coast resident is going to all these places every weekend then you are stupid. The Gold Coast has a beach/waterfront lifestyle but it does not have more to do than Brisbane nor it is not more livelier than Brisbane. It is not full of socialites, that's some stereotypical nonsense.

Sea World, Dream World, Wildlife sanctuaries? you have to be kidding me.... if you honestly think the average Gold coast resident is going to all these places every weekend then you are stupid. The Gold Coast has a beach/waterfront lifestyle but it does not have more to do than Brisbane nor it is not more livelier than Brisbane. It is not full of socialites, that's some stereotypical nonsense.

I never said they were going to them every weekend. There are plenty of people who buy seasonal passes to attend the theme parks whenever they want. There are other theme parks than the ones I mentioned.

A young family who has kids just doesn't have the football as the sole weekend attraction. They can take the kids to any of these places whenever little Timmy and Jane gets bored, and they often do.

The Gold Coast is livelier than Brisbane. The only place in Brisbane like it is Fortitude Valley. Gold Coast is a party town and has a huge drug problem. Bikie gangs are based on the Gold Coast for a reason. It's where they do their best business.

You aren't interested in knowing about the local culture. Gold Coast is a leisure city, known for its prostitution, drugs and beaches. Australia's best glamour models flock to the Gold Coast to make a living. It's no coincidence the people who migrate there are attracted to that. A young bloke from the GC just has so many options on a Friday and Saturday night it makes life hard for the poor old Titans. There's a reason no sports team has ever worked there.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
You are judging the whole coast by Surfers and Broadbeach. The Gold coast that the Titans (and Suns) are trying to attract are the more inland suburbs and estates that will expand over time. There are new estates along the highway through Coomera and Ormeau and also suburbs north of Southport, plus you got the much more relaxed beach side areas of Burleigh, Palm Beach and Coolongatta. I have spent lots of time all over the Gold Coast and Northern NSW. You are just applying a stereotype of the place that you have seen on TV. Brisbane has just as many distraction as the Gold Coast as well and the theme parks would get more people from brissie visiting than the GC on any given weekend.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I never said they were going to them every weekend. There are plenty of people who buy seasonal passes to attend the theme parks whenever they want. There are other theme parks than the ones I mentioned.

A young family who has kids just doesn't have the football as the sole weekend attraction. They can take the kids to any of these places whenever little Timmy and Jane gets bored, and they often do.

The Gold Coast is livelier than Brisbane. The only place in Brisbane like it is Fortitude Valley. Gold Coast is a party town and has a huge drug problem. Bikie gangs are based on the Gold Coast for a reason. It's where they do their best business.

You aren't interested in knowing about the local culture. Gold Coast is a leisure city, known for its prostitution, drugs and beaches. Australia's best glamour models flock to the Gold Coast to make a living. It's no coincidence the people who migrate there are attracted to that. A young bloke from the GC just has so many options on a Friday and Saturday night it makes life hard for the poor old Titans. There's a reason no sports team has ever worked there.
Yeah, Rugby League clubs are far more successful in sleepy boring towns like Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. Definitely shouldn't have a club in the high-flying entertainemnt capital that is the GC.

You are judging the whole coast by Surfers and Broadbeach. The Gold coast that the Titans (and Suns) are trying to attract are the more inland suburbs and estates that will expand over time. There are new estates along the highway through Coomera and Ormeau and also suburbs north of Southport, plus you got the much more relaxed beach side areas of Burleigh, Palm Beach and Coolongatta. I have spent lots of time all over the Gold Coast and Northern NSW. You are just applying a stereotype of the place that you have seen on TV. Brisbane has just as many distraction as the Gold Coast as well and the theme parks would get more people from brissie visiting than the GC on any given weekend.
It comes down to value, not frequency. When you have so many options at your disposal and you've tried them all once or twice, you're not going to choose the one that's down the list in value for money and excitement. The people you're talking about would look at the price of admission for a ticket at Robina Stadium and decide it's just not worth it, especially when they can go for a walk along the beach for free, or a swim at the beach for free, or buy a season pass for their kids to go to any theme park whenever they like all year round.

Queensland Government is partially at fault here for charging the Titans so much in rent. Doesn't change the fact people have decided it's better to watch the Titans on television and then go out in the town or to the beach. That's if they're watching at all.

Can you name a sports club that has been successful on the Gold Coast?

Suns and Titans are failing and I don't know if they will ever work.

There are also a lot of expats from Victoria who retire on the Gold Coast. They're not going to go to rugby league games.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Can you name a sports club that has been successful on the Gold Coast?
Can you name a professional sports club from the Gold Coast that hasn't been poorly run with a shit team?

If you add all the GC RL clubs in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL together they've only made the finals 4 times in 24 years (97, 09, 10, and 16). Any team that is that consistently terrible is going to struggle.
Suns and Titans are failing and I don't know if they will ever work.
The problem isn't the market, it's the clubs.

All the Titans need is some good management and an extended period of reasonable success (or even just some hope), and all the Suns need to do is survive while they wait for generational change as they ingratiate themselves into the culture, and both will be fine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Especially if it's in southern Brisbane or Logan. The Lions are based in the south-east and have a social club in Logan that pulls $5 million each year from the pokies.

will it people stop pouring money into pokies because there is a second Brisbane club? Sounds a bit of a reach lol
only way I can see Brisbane2 having any impact on the lions is in corporate support, but I suspect if you are a company who wants it’s product to be seen in every capital city you will stick with the afl club anyway?

will it people stop pouring money into pokies because there is a second Brisbane club? Sounds a bit of a reach lol
only way I can see Brisbane2 having any impact on the lions is in corporate support, but I suspect if you are a company who wants it’s product to be seen in every capital city you will stick with the afl club anyway?
You misunderstand me. I don't explain myself very well. Put a Leagues Club here for an NRL team that represents the area and rugby league fans will gladly overlook the Lions@Springwood. Provide better food and entertainment and neutrals will choose it over Lions@Springwood.

Few people in south-east Queensland could name a fumbleball player. Lions draw crappy support and no one wants to sponsor them. The Broncos have companies lining up to sponsor them. A second or even third Brisbane team could look to the sponsors that are spurned by the Broncos.

Can you name a professional sports club from the Gold Coast that hasn't been poorly run with a shit team?

If you add all the GC RL clubs in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL together they've only made the finals 4 times in 24 years (97, 09, 10, and 16). Any team that is that consistently terrible is going to struggle.

The problem isn't the market, it's the clubs.

All the Titans need is some good management and an extended period of reasonable success (or even just some hope), and all the Suns need to do is survive while they wait for generational change as they ingratiate themselves into the culture, and both will be fine.
Gold Coast United were a professionally run soccer club that had onfield success. They averaged 5,000 to their games.

Fumbleball will never be popular in Queensland. The only people who watch it up here are the Victorians that have moved interstate to retire on the Gold Coast. Most of them are old and will soon die from old age.

Robina Stadium is one of the best facilities in the country. There's no reason for people to not patronise it. Willows didn't even have toilets and the Cowboys were far less successful during their first decade, yet their fans never turned on them the way the GC has to the Titans. Townsville doesn't have the population of the Gold Coast either, and Willows was in an even worse location than Robina Stadium. It didn't stop Cowboys fans travelling hours each week to see their team play. Games against the Donkeys have always been sell outs at Willows. Not so at GC, despite Donkeys fans travelling down the freeway to fill some of the seats at Robina.

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
That would make the Titans the Gold Coast's most successful team then....

Gold Coast United were a professionally run soccer club that had onfield success. They averaged 5,000 to their games.

Fumbleball will never be popular in Queensland. The only people who watch it up here are the Victorians that have moved interstate to retire on the Gold Coast. Most of them are old and will soon die from old age.

Robina Stadium is one of the best facilities in the country. There's no reason for people to not patronise it. Willows didn't even have toilets and the Cowboys were far less successful during their first decade, yet their fans never turned on them the way the GC has to the Titans. Townsville doesn't have the population of the Gold Coast either, and Willows was in an even worse location than Robina Stadium. It didn't stop Cowboys fans travelling hours each week to see their team play. Games against the Donkeys have always been sell outs at Willows. Not so at GC, despite Donkeys fans travelling down the freeway to fill some of the seats at Robina.
The thing about the GC, when you compare it to Townsville, is that the GC's population is mostly transient. Its full of tourists, international students, retirees from interstate (not just Vic. Plenty there from NSW/Sydney as well) and FIFO workers with a bit of coin who are only there a couple of weeks at a time. The population, particularly in the that along the coast line, isn't a guaranteed population. I mean, its almost impossible to go out your door on the GC without tripping over someone from South America, Asia or Europe.

When you look at Townsville its a lot more settled. Long-term uni students, Military Families who are there for a few years at least and locally born Australians who have probably never left Townsville. Yes it has some of the aspects that the GC has as well but not in as greater number as the GC.

If anything, the GC needs to target those international travellers and short stay students to spread the gospel of NRL to international markets. They come to a game, encourage them to sign up as an international member and give them a 'member's pack' on the spot at the game (souveniers), make it a party atmosphere, sell the sport as a whole and then people take the Titans name back home with them. Unfortunately, they need some on-field success to improve that name.

That would make the Titans the Gold Coast's most successful team then....

The thing about the GC, when you compare it to Townsville, is that the GC's population is mostly transient. Its full of tourists, international students, retirees from interstate (not just Vic. Plenty there from NSW/Sydney as well) and FIFO workers with a bit of coin who are only there a couple of weeks at a time. The population, particularly in the that along the coast line, isn't a guaranteed population. I mean, its almost impossible to go out your door on the GC without tripping over someone from South America, Asia or Europe.

When you look at Townsville its a lot more settled. Long-term uni students, Military Families who are there for a few years at least and locally born Australians who have probably never left Townsville. Yes it has some of the aspects that the GC has as well but not in as greater number as the GC.

If anything, the GC needs to target those international travellers and short stay students to spread the gospel of NRL to international markets. They come to a game, encourage them to sign up as an international member and give them a 'member's pack' on the spot at the game (souveniers), make it a party atmosphere, sell the sport as a whole and then people take the Titans name back home with them. Unfortunately, they need some on-field success to improve that name.
I am always amazed at how well supported the Titans' opponents are at GC home games. It can be more than the home team. That right there tells me it is a tourist city with a sizeable chunk of its poliation made up of migrants from interstate.

Apparently the Victorians travel to GC to see their team play and have a holiday. The only winners out of either team on the GC is the Queensland Government, who make money by charging a fortune for tickets to Titans games and luring in Victorians looking to escape dreary Melbourne.

There should be more promotion of the Titans to tourists. It could be a nice money maker for them.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I am always amazed at how well supported the Titans' opponents are at GC home games. It can be more than the home team. That right there tells me it is a tourist city with a sizeable chunk of its poliation made up of migrants from interstate.

Apparently the Victorians travel to GC to see their team play and have a holiday. The only winners out of either team on the GC is the Queensland Government, who make money by charging a fortune for tickets to Titans games and luring in Victorians looking to escape dreary Melbourne.

There should be more promotion of the Titans to tourists. It could be a nice money maker for them.
Yeah, I've talked to many a Victorian and Sydney-siders who currently live on the GC. The AFL supporters of them are more inclined to buy a GC Suns membership so that they can watch regular games of AFL regardless of which team is playing the Suns. You don't really find it that much in Rugby League circles. I don't know too many NRL supporters who would get a Broncos membership, for example, just to watch any NRL game/Sydney team playing in Brisbane that week. Far more inclined to go to the pub or buy a foxtel subscription if they want to catch regular footy.

Diesel

Referee
Perhaps if Brisbane had home games that aren’t on Thursday or Friday nights, they’d have more attending.
It’s a catch 22, easy to sell sponsorship to games on FTA during prime time or have more attending games

Latest posts