What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Swans arrived in Sydney 1982, and guess when their crowds grew ,SL time 1995/6.Swan's people have admitted the Super League war gave them a leg up, and do not discount the dropping of Souths for some time as also assisting them.
When SL started, the Fairfax Herald gave the Swans a hell of a lot of publicity's an offset to the News ltd Super League.They have been Sydney sport media darlings ,almost to the point of spewing.

people keep saying swans fanbase are all expat Victorian’s, why would SL have boosted them if that is true?

Swans / Waratahs / Roosters ... a lot of SCG Members who just hob knob.

A while back I read a thing where the Swans admitted that 25% of their membership turns over annually.

taipan

Referee
people keep saying swans fanbase are all expat Victorian’s, why would SL have boosted them if that is true?

Check the crowds pre SL and immediately after SL .The bulk of their fanbase (not all by any means)would be expats from Vic/SA/WA and Tas.
Why would crowds suddenly jump, in a very short space of time after SL ? P*ssed off RL supporters? Former Bears fans?
Why would Swan's officials admit the SL War gave them a boost?
In Sydney we know the disillusionment of rl fans when the war happened,when teams were either cut or merged.I understand that former Fitzroy fans or least some ,support the Storm.
I attended the SL meeting at the Shark's auditorium, and I can tell you the emotions erupted big time for those dead against it..

Why did the Herald provide so much PR and publicity for the Swans for years following?When prior they gave token support. As a blunt to News Ltd publications.

The Mad Hatter is right, the SCG hob nobbers .Try to get your money's worth of membership,which doesn't come cheap.

So you think that people just swing between codes? ‘I don’t like the Broncos so I will follow AFL’, then come back to RL? It won’t be that simple. The trend for most new clubs in Australia is good crowds in the first few years, then a big fall, then if you are performing well and engaging fans, it grows again.
Brissie is an RL city through and through. Most people who go watch the Lions are Victorians who've immigrated to Queensland. You have no idea just how hated fumbleball is in this part of the world. Look at the shitty TV ratings for the Lions. Queenslanders hate fumbleball and call it aerial ping pong.

AwFuL lie through their teeth about how many people go to see the Lions, Suns and GWS.

Brissie 2 and 3 will kill the Lions commercially. An NRL club on the southside will draw support from local businesses and kids as RL is like a religion up here. The Lions set up a social club full of pokies on Logan to offset some of their losses. They meke $5 million from the club.

I've lived in Logan for 20 years and can tell you that people here hate fumbleball. There are just 2 clubs in the entire city, compared to 14 RL clubs. Put a Leagues Club here and the Lions Social Club will die pretty quickly. It is already a loser, bribing people with $1 life membership and is still well behind the Leagues Clubs of BRL clubs Easts, Wynnum Manly and Redcliffe. Those Leagues Clubs make you pay for a maximum of 3 years membership, and it's far more than $1.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Brissie is an RL city through and through. Most people who go watch the Lions are Victorians who've immigrated to Queensland. You have no idea just how hated fumbleball is in this part of the world. Look at the shitty TV ratings for the Lions. Queenslanders hate fumbleball and call it aerial ping pong.

AwFuL lie through their teeth about how many people go to see the Lions, Suns and GWS.

I don't like AFL but this is just rubbish. The Lions have solid support and AFL has made strong in roads into Brisbane over the past 20 years. Is it as big as League? of course not and never will be but the AFL would be happy with the Lions crowds and grassroots AFL. Most Brisbane people will take an interest in any sport as long as the team represents Brisbane.

I don't like AFL but this is just rubbish. The Lions have solid support and AFL has made strong in roads into Brisbane over the past 20 years. Is it as big as League? of course not and never will be but the AFL would be happy with the Lions crowds and grassroots AFL. Most Brisbane people will take an interest in any sport as long as the team represents Brisbane.
You're living in a fantasy world if you think the Lions have made strong inroads. Playing numbers for it are so abysmal AwFuL bribes kids into undertaking Auskick by buying them McDonald's and gives away free football boots and free registration to the few kids who join a club. That's not the sign of a healthy sport that has won over the public.

The game is never broadcast on the main channel and TV ratings for it are shit. When I channel surf and flick the remote onto 7mate while the Lions are playing I see nothing but empty seats, yet you expect me to believe they're making inroads?

The only area it has seen growth is in the GPS schools that have banned RL.

The Lions lose millions of dollars each year, hence the reason they set up the Lions@Springwood club. I only know one Queenslander who follows the game. She's a physio and says people think she's a Victorian because she watches AwFuL. Does that sound like a city that has embraced AwFuL? They wouldn't assume a person who watches AwFuL must be from Victoria if the game is embraced by the general community, would they?

Everyone else I know wouldn't be able to name the 18 AwFuL clubs. If you think AwFuL having a whopping total of 2 clubs in Logan, when they used to have 3 but had to close Logan City Cobras due to lack of players is making strong inroads, I wouldn't want you running my business.

"Brisbane chief executive Greg Swannsaid that financial remedy was the most likely off-field source of help from the AFL. The Lions have a $13 million debt — roughly half of that borrowed from the AFL — with some believing the AFL should clear all club debt with its TV revenue windfall."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...al,all club debt with its TV revenue windfall.​

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
I would say Logan is one area where AFL has made very little in roads but they've carved out a decent niche in inner city suburbs, which is where they aim for. My partner is a teacher and all her friends are teachers and i hear the same thing from all of them. The NRL virtually does nothing in schools while the AFL has lots of visits and runs programs. You would be surprised how many kids in these schools come from families that support AFL.

Your handle rings some truth, having 1 professional League team in Brisbane for so long has allowed room for that stupid code to grow. It's almost like it was some sinister residual plan left over from Super league...

I would say Logan is one area where AFL has made very little in roads but they've carved out a decent niche in inner city suburbs, which is where they aim for. My partner is a teacher and all her friends are teachers and i hear the same thing from all of them. The NRL virtually does nothing in schools while the AFL has lots of visits and runs programs. You would be surprised how many kids in these schools come from families that support AFL.

Your handle rings some truth, having 1 professional League team in Brisbane for so long has allowed room for that stupid code to grow. It's almost like it was some sinister residual plan left over from Super league...
I never go into the inner suburbs so I wouldn't know, but it doesn't surprise me. People in that area are very progressive and woke compared to the rest of the city. The last time I was there was in 2013 to Souths play Norths at West End. Very hipster area these days.

It's time for the NRL to put a team in the inner south-east to combat the Lions.

Mr Spock!

Referee
You're living in a fantasy world if you think the Lions have made strong inroads. Playing numbers for it are so abysmal AwFuL bribes kids into undertaking Auskick by buying them McDonald's and gives away free football boots and free registration to the few kids who join a club. That's not the sign of a healthy sport that has won over the public.

The game is never broadcast on the main channel and TV ratings for it are shit. When I channel surf and flick the remote onto 7mate while the Lions are playing I see nothing but empty seats, yet you expect me to believe they're making inroads?

The only area it has seen growth is in the GPS schools that have banned RL.

The Lions lose millions of dollars each year, hence the reason they set up the Lions@Springwood club. I only know one Queenslander who follows the game. She's a physio and says people think she's a Victorian because she watches AwFuL. Does that sound like a city that has embraced AwFuL? They wouldn't assume a person who watches AwFuL must be from Victoria if the game is embraced by the general community, would they?

Everyone else I know wouldn't be able to name the 18 AwFuL clubs. If you think AwFuL having a whopping total of 2 clubs in Logan, when they used to have 3 but had to close Logan City Cobras due to lack of players is making strong inroads, I wouldn't want you running my business.

"Brisbane chief executive Greg Swannsaid that financial remedy was the most likely off-field source of help from the AFL. The Lions have a $13 million debt — roughly half of that borrowed from the AFL — with some believing the AFL should clear all club debt with its TV revenue windfall."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/brisbane/brisbane-lions-in-line-for-14m-helping-hand-from-afl-to-boost-football-department-spending/news-story/5bd16863b0285e566866a123838d1add#:~:text=Brisbane chief executive Greg Swann said that financial,all club debt with its TV revenue windfall.​
I'm in Bundaberg and my state school has the Lions visit every year including first grade players. The AFL development officer then runs an 8 week after school ozkick program. Most schools also have a boys AND girls afl team.

I've never seen the Broncos nor the NRL or QRL do anything because they take for granted kids will play rugby league.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I never go into the inner suburbs so I wouldn't know, but it doesn't surprise me. People in that area are very progressive and woke compared to the rest of the city. The last time I was there was in 2013 to Souths play Norths at West End. Very hipster area these days.

It's time for the NRL to put a team in the inner south-east to combat the Lions.
Nope. Thats the same rationale we have the Titans.

Just do your own thing and work out whats best for rugby league and communities..

Mr Spock!

Referee
Btw it is possible to follow 2 codes.

I know thats the darnedest thing to say but growing up we only had 1 rugby league match a week on tv.

The_Frog

First Grade

Just do your own thing and work out whats best for rugby league and communities..
The Titans are different. They are in a RL heartland but due to the nature of the area and the incompetence of their leadership, they have trouble developing quality players, and must therefore go to the market and pay through the nose. They need someone to set up a development program in the place and forge links with surrounding country areas. Mal is worse than useless.

I'm in Bundaberg and my state school has the Lions visit every year including first grade players. The AFL development officer then runs an 8 week after school ozkick program. Most schools also have a boys AND girls afl team.

I've never seen the Broncos nor the NRL or QRL do anything because they take for granted kids will play rugby league.
AwFuL is doing that in Logan. When I contacted the QRL about bringing back the Scorpions in the Queensland Cup to counter it they didn't give a stuff.

I have seen about 5 or 6 kids wearing fumbleball guernseys around here over the last 10 years. If the area is neglected too long AwFuL might strike it rich eventually.

RL's problems are rooted down to professionalism driving the average sized man out of the game. When RL players were semi professional they didn't lift weights during the season so they looked like normal men. This made it easier to attract rhe average Joe on the street to play park football. Players these days are built like pro wrestlers and are just as strong. Now people who are undersized or not gym junkies are at a significant disadvantage
and apprehensive about playing the game. The introduction of the 10 metre rule in 1991 forced players to be fitter and made contact injuries more brutal, which is not good for participation.

The result is players these days are gym junkie/athletes who may or may not be footballers, and the onfield product reflects it. Players only know what they learn from their coaches because few of them think like footballers. Genuinely crafty footballers like Wally Lewis and Jason Smith just don't exist these days. These two played what was in front of them and adapted. These days it is a bunch of block plays and the odd run around and hope it works, and if that fails put up a bomb to the corner.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
RL's problems are rooted down to professionalism driving the average sized man out of the game. When RL players were semi professional they didn't lift weights during the season so they looked like normal men. This made it easier to attract rhe average Joe on the street to play park football. Players these days are built like pro wrestlers and are just as strong. Now people who are undersized or not gym junkies are at a significant disadvantage
and apprehensive about playing the game. The introduction of the 10 metre rule in 1991 forced players to be fitter and made contact injuries more brutal, which is not good for participation.

The result is players these days are gym junkie/athletes who may or may not be footballers, and the onfield product reflects it. Players only know what they learn from their coaches because few of them think like footballers. Genuinely crafty footballers like Wally Lewis and Jason Smith just don't exist these days. These two played what was in front of them and adapted. These days it is a bunch of block plays and the odd run around and hope it works, and if that fails put up a bomb to the corner.

Don't think the AFL doesn't have the same kind of issue at the top, though. These days, the AFL recruits guys with athletic gifts at the expense of fundamentals, such as kicking straight. They have also tried to turn a lot of basketball players into ruckmen or centre half forwards and backs because of their height and athleticism that few others have.

AFL scouts want centre half forwards that are basically marathon runners who can cover the ground all day long. The problem is, you get excellent players at doing this and cover more than 10-15kms a game (like Travis Cloke), but who cannot kick straight to save their life or their teams fortunes.

The fundamental skills that used to be so necessary in the AFL (including kicking and marking) have increasingly gotten worse as the AFL has opted for athleticism, size and fitness. Sure they will market the freakish goals and talk up a player who kicks a big bag, but that used to be the status quo, but is now, hyped up because it is so rare. Sure they hype up the Indigenous player who can turn on the game with their speed, quickness and goal kicking from crazy angles, but I would think these players are less sought after in the game than previously.

Also, I think the last player to kick 100 goals in a year was Lance Franklin in about 2008. I think he kicked as many behinds as he did goals. He and the rest of the competition haven't gotten to that since.

Last edited:

Latest posts