What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your "League Lockdown" Re-watch

horrie hastings

First Grade
During the week i watched East v Manly from 1980 at the Sports Ground, Easts won 29-9, Ken Wright carved up an inept Manly.

East vs Manly 1987 at Henson Park, Roosters lead 26 nil before Manly scored a few late tries to give a bit of respectability to the scoreline, another game where Manly were out of sorts with some very soft defence.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Today broncos v manly semi 1993 followed by broncos vs dragons semi 2001.

4 tries for Wendel was a real treat
That 01 semi was a ripper. Think from memory Blacklock scored 2 or 3 that day too? Big Dell covered in spiders all day, what a player.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
That 01 semi was a ripper. Think from memory Blacklock scored 2 or 3 that day too? Big Dell covered in spiders all day, what a player.

I don’t think sailor gets enough wraps for the player he was. Should never have gone and wasted his time in union. Always wondered how many tries he would’ve totaled if he stayed

horrie hastings

First Grade
Watched West vs Easts at Lidcombe Oval from 1981. Easts had beaten Parramatta the week before to claim the minor premiership so this game was supposed to be a walk in the park for the Roosters with Wests out of the running for the finals but West had different ideas, they niggled Easts early and threw them of them off their game plan, West bolted to a 10-0 lead before Easts came back to lead 12-10 , then West went back to lead 20-12 then East came back again.Terry Lamb and Mark Beaven had great games for Wests and Kevin Hastings had a blinder for Easts, Wests kept on belting Hastings and he kept on getting back up. West won 22-20 and it was the start of the rot for Easts, they had the week off after as they were still Minor Premiers, then lost to Parramatta in extra time in the semi then lost to Newtown in the final so missed the Grand Final.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
On YouTube there is a 1998 season review. I know who won that year merkins so don’t start but it has some great highlights on it.

Some of the younger posters should have a look. Barrett timmins and fitsgibbon playing for the steelers and plenty of bears highlights too. Kidwell at the rams and sailor and Hancock on the wings

Amazing how much the game has changed

captainwarrior

Juniors
On YouTube there is a 1998 season review. I know who won that year merkins so don’t start but it has some great highlights on it.

Some of the younger posters should have a look. Barrett timmins and fitsgibbon playing for the steelers and plenty of bears highlights too. Kidwell at the rams and sailor and Hancock on the wings

Amazing how much the game has changed
Actually came across this the other day too, was a great watch. Agree 100%.

There’s a 1999 one on YT too which was really good too. Really wish there were ones from 2000-2004. I have the 2005 and 2006 Season Review DVD’s too which are also a good watch every so often.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Bumping this because I watched the 89 gf today for the 5th time I reckon.

Any of the young merkins on here should watch this game if they haven’t already.

In a word it’s epic.

And if you think hindmarsh is the best player to never win a grand final after seeing this game you’re as delusional as the clowns that picked him

Perth Tiger

Bench
After watching the fan with Tim Brasher and him being my childhood hero, any links or streams (legal) of his best games.

Crazy that he never played finals after 19 years old. He should be considered up there with Lockyer and Slater and as the best fullback of the last 30 years but played in some of the shitest teams of all time

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Just watched on Youtube the 1986 3rd Test and 1988 WC Final both against NZ. Lot's of niggle, high tackles and off the ball fights. After being replaced with a broken arm in the 88 game it was funny to see Wally smoking a dart on the sideline while being interviewed by Johnny Gibbs

Australia should have been beaten in that third test, scored a try on the 7th tackle and another from a dubious play the ball which should have resulted in a scrum. Surprisingly the Australian media never mentioned these facts.

Last edited:
After watching the fan with Tim Brasher and him being my childhood hero, any links or streams (legal) of his best games.

Crazy that he never played finals after 19 years old. He should be considered up there with Lockyer and Slater and as the best fullback of the last 30 years but played in some of the shitest teams of all time

I loved Tim for NSW.

I’d all but forgotten he was at Souths and then NQ.

This Year?

Immortal
2013 grand final last night.
Massive game and just a generally massive event.
One I would have loved to be there for as a neutral
I remember watching it on TV and thinking it was one of the best grand finals of the modern era. Manly had a real crack against a Roosters side who were red hot.
That game felt like it went so fast, had some cracking tries and IIRC didn't have any controversial calls.

horrie hastings

First Grade
2013 grand final last night.
Massive game and just a generally massive event.
One I would have loved to be there for as a neutral

Even though i think the first 40 mins of the 2018 Grand Final was the best football i have seen the Roosters play, the 2013 Grand Final was one of the most amazing and satisfying games i have ever been at, even when Jamie Lyons was awarded the penalty try to put Manly up 18-8 i said to the people i was sitting with, its only 10 points and we are going to win this, absolute cracker of a game from both sides. Daniel Tupou effectively ended the Wolfman's career that night.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Watched Easts vs Cronulla 1987 from Henson Park the other day. Easts led 14-6 then Cronulla scored to make it 14-10 half time. Wayne Challis was sent off in the second half and Cronulla hit the lead 16-14 before Easts hit back again to lead 18-16, Sharks crossed again to lead 22-18 before Easts pulled the game out of the fire with Slippery Morris diving under a tackle from Kurt Sorenson to level the scores and David Smith converting a pressure goal to give East the win 24-22, it was very similar to game at Henson two weeks earlier when Easts pulled the game out of the fire against Canterbury 16-14.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Even though i think the first 40 mins of the 2018 Grand Final was the best football i have seen the Roosters play, the 2013 Grand Final was one of the most amazing and satisfying games i have ever been at, even when Jamie Lyons was awarded the penalty try to put Manly up 18-8 i said to the people i was sitting with, its only 10 points and we are going to win this, absolute cracker of a game from both sides. Daniel Tupou effectively ended the Wolfman's career that night.

If the first tackle of the game doesn’t get you in nothing will. Sam Moa was my ccm he was just so dominant. Glen Stewart had a great go but f**k Moa was a tank

A highly under-rated GF. In my opinion in the top 5 GFs I’ve seen of all time in terms of the quality of the contest.

Many get the spotlight because of close finishes but I’d have this above many close contests.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I remember watching it on TV and thinking it was one of the best grand finals of the modern era. Manly had a real crack against a Roosters side who were red hot.
That game felt like it went so fast, had some cracking tries and IIRC didn't have any controversial calls.

There was one call that stands out. The Maloney pass to mini leading to the skd try

Latest posts