What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your "League Lockdown" Re-watch

horrie hastings

First Grade
If the first tackle of the game doesn’t get you in nothing will. Sam Moa was my ccm he was just so dominant. Glen Stewart had a great go but f**k Moa was a tank

Just watched some of it again and agree about Sam Moa as the CCM. The tackle that George Rose did on him to stop the try just before Guerra scored was a beauty too.

horrie hastings

First Grade
There was one call that stands out. The Maloney pass to mini leading to the skd try

It funny, at normal speed the pass looks fine, it was only when it was shown on the head on shot and then slowed down on the normal angle shot you can see that it is forward. I also think there was enough doubt not to award the penalty try to Lyons, the ball seemed to bounce away from where Lyons hands would have been, a penalty fare enough, Aubbo to sin bin would have been fare enough to but highly doubtful for penalty try. Still though those two decisions don't detract from one of the best Grand Finals ever of the modern era.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I’m going to politely disagree in regards to the penalty try.
Lyon is one of the few players that easily finished something like that play.
If it was say brad parker it’s no try.
Lyon was given absolutely no chance and aubos tackle was deliberate

horrie hastings

First Grade
I’m going to politely disagree in regards to the penalty try.
Lyon is one of the few players that easily finished something like that play.
If it was say brad parker it’s no try.
Lyon was given absolutely no chance and aubos tackle was deliberate

Agree Aubbos tackle was deliberate and he should have been binned, my main point was the angle the ball bouncing was away from Lyons hands and i dont think it was a 100% certain Lyons could have grounded it, yes a good chance but not a 100% certain,where we were sitting it was right in front of us but back a bit of a distance, lol yes if it was Brad Parker definate no try.
Just watch Jennings try again, i got goose bumps, how he got that down at full speed centimetres in the dead ball line was amazing .

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Agree Aubbos tackle was deliberate and he should have been binned, my main point was the angle the ball bouncing was away from Lyons hands and i dont think it was a 100% certain Lyons could have grounded it, yes a good chance but not a 100% certain,where we were sitting it was right in front of us but back a bit of a distance, lol yes if it was Brad Parker definate no try.
Just watch Jennings try again, i got goose bumps, how he got that down at full speed centimetres in the dead ball line was amazing .

Ah the Jennings try. Absolutely perfect execution.
He now gets to live the rest of his life knowing he scored a grand final winning try. Roosters fans would line up to buy him a beer after that. What a moment it was.

THE CHAMP

First Grade

It’s funny that you still don’t want to concede the penalty try 7 years later and after winning. Great stuff

Ah the Jennings try. Absolutely perfect execution.
He now gets to live the rest of his life knowing he scored a grand final winning try. Roosters fans would line up to buy him a beer after that. What a moment it was.

One of the great grand final tries in my opinion. And possibly the most skilful from a try scorer I can recall. But I still can’t fathom why this, and the game itself, doesn’t get lauded in the wider media as one of the greats in history..

THE CHAMP

First Grade
One of the great grand final tries in my opinion. And possibly the most skilful from a try scorer I can recall. But I still can’t fathom why this, and the game itself, doesn’t get lauded in the wider media as one of the greats in history..

True. If you ever figure out why it’s like this please post immediately.
Let’s not forget the kick by Maloney. Only one player was getting to it and it was Jennings. The perfection of the kick is what made the try so spectacular. Stewart and Williams were so close but miles away at the same time.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Even though i think the first 40 mins of the 2018 Grand Final was the best football i have seen the Roosters play, the 2013 Grand Final was one of the most amazing and satisfying games i have ever been at, even when Jamie Lyons was awarded the penalty try to put Manly up 18-8 i said to the people i was sitting with, its only 10 points and we are going to win this, absolute cracker of a game from both sides. Daniel Tupou effectively ended the Wolfman's career that night.

What you say about tupou has a huge effect on the Jennings try. Williams was playing fullback and Stewart had been moved to right wing to defend tupou. The try was scored right between them. Did the positional change buys Jennings the 2/100ths of a second he needed?

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
What you say about tupou has a huge effect on the Jennings try. Williams was playing fullback and Stewart had been moved to right wing to defend tupou. The try was scored right between them. Did the positional change buy Jennings the 2/100ths of a second he needed?

Who can say but i think it was Sterlo in the commentary says something about Stewart and Williams changing positions when they showed the replay of the try. I think you could have had superman playing for Manly that night and he wouldnt have been able to stop Jennings from scoring that try, freakish but all class and skill at the same time.

horrie hastings

First Grade
True. If you ever figure out why it’s like this please post immediately.
Let’s not forget the kick by Maloney. Only one player was getting to it and it was Jennings. The perfection of the kick is what made the try so spectacular. Stewart and Williams were so close but miles away at the same time.

Its funny, it was another Maloney kick that only one player was getting to, that was Tupou for the Roosters first try, Tupou was up and straight under it, Wolfman Williams was like a seagull lost and didn't even attempt to go for the ball instead he tried to tackle Toops mid air, maybe a reason for a penalty try had Tupou not taken the ball cleanly but it is relative as Toups took the ball cleanly and the Wolfman was looking for a whole to hide in after it, i like the look on Jamie Lyons face too as it was almost in awe of what Toups had done even though what was going through his mind was probably completely different at the time.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
That was deadset done in slow motion. Wolfmans 'defence' was embarrassing

Wolfman was both physically and mentally behind the 8 ball I’m afraid. I know it’s against the rules but Williams probably needed to put an early high shot on him. Take a little wind out of Daniels sails

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Due to our diabolical season I’ve been watch some former glory.

92 93 anyway I started watching the 97 sl grand final and couldn’t believe how few players remained from 93

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I was supporting the Roosters in the 2013 GF and remember it very fondly, but honestly when I re-watched it recently I actually thought the Roosters got a lot of favourable calls