What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

jaseg

Juniors
Gould confirmed on Thursday night that he had been in talks with the Warriors about a role to "overhaul the club's pathways and development systems".

This is the specific thing he undoubtedly did best in Penrith - and exactly what I'd want from him here. We already have O'Sullivan here, to build pathways and development systems and get those guys from great prospects to quality NRL players with a higher hit rate is likely the best way forward... we struggle too much in recruiting the best players we need, and it will likely always be that way.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
This is the specific thing he undoubtedly did best in Penrith - and exactly what I'd want from him here. We already have O'Sullivan here, to build pathways and development systems and get those guys from great prospects to quality NRL players with a higher hit rate is likely the best way forward... we struggle too much in recruiting the best players we need, and it will likely always be that way.
This is definitely going to ring true for the post Covid world. NZ & the pacific nations are probably the best source for playing talent for us, supplemented by the odd Aussie/Pom who is willing to come over here for the right reasons

Rich102

Staff member
The New Zealand Warriors have reportedly agreed to sign Nathan Brown as the club's new head coach with Phil Gould also coming on as director of football, with the signings set to be announced on Saturday.

Brown, who initially withdrew from consideration for the role before emerging as the favourite after interim coach Todd Payten chose to turn it down, would take over at the end of the 2020 NRL campaign.

On the other hand, Gould will join in a consultancy role to assist the club with strategic direction, while also looking after the development of young talent to help the Warriors "rediscover their mojo".

The 47-year-old Brown has coached the St George Illawarra Dragons, Newcastle Knights and Super League clubs St Helens and Huddersfield, and was one of the first names mentioned as an option for the fulltime Warriors gig after the sacking of Stephen Kearney.
  • Brown, who joined the Warriors earlier in the year in a consulting role before being cut in the Covid-19 crisis, recently said the Warriors job was a great opportunity.

"I'm a career coach, I love coaching. The Warriors job is a great opportunity as is the Cowboys job," Brown said on Triple M.

"I'm always in dialogue with the Warriors because I work there as a consultant.

"The recruitment officer Peter O'Sullivan is a good friend of mine and we speak quite often."

Brown has coached in 438 games across the NRL and Super League in almost two decades of coaching, with a 50 per cent winning record.

Meanwhile, NRL commentator and former coach Gould's role will be to "overhaul the club's pathways and development systems".

The 62-year-old former player and coach had a similar role with the Penrith Panthers.

When asked about Gould ahead of Friday night's clash against the Manly Sea Eagles, Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck said he would add value at any club.

"He brings a lot of wisdom with him, and if the club is looking to bring him on board then I could see it as a positive to have him as a mentor around the club.

"I know he has a big impact in the rugby league community, especially in Australia, so it would be interesting to see the type of work he could do for us.

"That's a decision the organisation would need to make. I'm just focusing on my team here and the players that are here today to make sure we're all ready for a game this weekend."

Gould has a long history in the game as a player, coach, general manager and broadcaster and has recently been in discussions with Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys about undertaking some projects to help the game grow in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands in a development role with the NRL.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12354517

Big Marn

Juniors
The article didn't mention Goulds about to become a player manager as well, which could have implications for the Warriors.

WellsNZ

Juniors
What I like about the prospect of Gould is him being a guy who could be talking to juniors, talking to their families and being important enough and respected enough to sell some of them on the idea of don't send your kid off to Melbourne or wherever, stay here. I feel like he could be pretty persuasive in that way. Even if he isn't the recruitment guy specifically, I imagine if he could participate in some of those conversations it might carry some weight. Get him in the ear of the next RTS while they're still here and block out that noise from the Aussie clubs.

He's always yapping about how we've got this pool of talent, we've got a whole country blah blah blah, so time for him to walk the talk. If it works, great.

If not, well we've got nothing to lose at this point.

flippikat

Bench
He's always yapping about how we've got this pool of talent, we've got a whole country blah blah blah, so time for him to walk the talk. If it works, great.

If not, well we've got nothing to lose at this point.

Precisely. Gould has said numerous times that we should be at the top or near the top most years, just based on the raw talent we have coming through.

Good to see he's prepared to play his part in making that happen.

I think he realises that a strong Warriors club is good for the game.

sup42

Juniors
TBH at this stage the club needs someone of his stature just to survive.
Coach nominees dropping like flies.
No recognised players wanting to come.
Uncertainty over Covid19.
A CEO with NFI who wants to meddle.
An out-of-control owner who shoots from the lip.

Little wonder Green left.
To be replaced by..............................
All true.

For my way of thinking, getting Brown and or Gould will be a relief. I really can see the Warriors going under with everything that is going on.

We cannot afford to be in a position where Justin Morgan or Tony Iro coach the side next season. That has the kemp era and Tainui almost sunk scenario written all over it.

JJ

Immortal
I’m a bit ambivalent on Brown but he’s a big step up from Kearney

if Gould has a hands on role with real authority and autonomy then I’m really excited. As I said earlier, he’s the best league brain there is.

waipiro

Juniors
Brown should have some good contacts in NRL and ESL to maybe assist with recruiting and convincing guys to come across. Gould will be great with recruitment and getting guys to commit to the Warriors. All that linked with Osullivan makes the package appeal.
Browns a coaching upgrade so im optimistic....

Rich102

Staff member
Easy. Payton is unproven. Do well he would be extended but if he sucked the club wouldn't have to pay out two years of his contract.

JJ

Immortal
Easy. Payton is unproven. Do well he would be extended but if he sucked the club wouldn't have to pay out two years of his contract.
Brown has proven he's better than Kearney... but so has pretty much anyone who's ever coached at that level.

I'm a bit iffy on him, he did ok with good squads with the Dragons and the UK - but claim he developed talent at Newcastle and rebuilt them... most of the reasons they are competitive now and or their top squad are external recruits - Pearce, Ponga, Klemmer, Gladsby, Ese Ese, Gueera, Brayley, Hunt, Mann, Shibaski etc... certainly there is a decent core of local talent, but hardly IMO evidence that he built the team on local talent

Benek

Juniors
Brown and Gould both official now. Just got the club email announcement.

I'm 50/50 on Brown, but the package of him with Gould is something I'm getting excited about.

Benek

Juniors
Vodafone Warriors confirm Nathan Brown as head coach

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.
“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.
“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.
“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.
“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.
“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

Phil Gould joins Vodafone Warriors as consultant

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today also confirmed leading rugby league powerbroker Phil Gould’s appointment as a club-wide consultant.

George said Gould will provide advice and guidance in key strategic areas designed to build the Vodafone Warriors’ trans-Tasman commercial and general profile.

“This appointment is exceptionally significant and critical to the future of our business as a whole and equally to the game in general both in New Zealand and in Australia,” he said.
“Phil is held in the highest regard as a rugby league expert both on and off the park.
“He has an extensive and successful coaching history and is highly sought after in the media through his roles with Channel 9 and other organisations. He also achieved so much in rebuilding the Penrith Panthers to where they are right now.
“He’ll play a huge role in helping to take us to a new level as a club.”

George said Gould will also work with the NRL on reviewing the structure of the game in the Pacific Islands and New Zealand before recommending changes designed to bring long-term benefits for the Vodafone Warriors and for the game generally in New Zealand.

“There’s no question this is an exciting challenge,” said Gould.
“The owners Mark (Robinson) and Rob (Croot) and Cameron have a real passion for rugby league and they’re highly motivated to build the Vodafone Warriors into a powerful club over the coming years.
“A strong Warriors club is a great asset to the NRL, not to mention its importance to the continued development of international rugby league, which I know is a priority for Peter V'Landys and the ARL Commission.”

After a 104-game first grade playing career, Gould coached the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Penrith Panthers to premiership titles as well as being coaching director at the Sydney Roosters when they beat the Vodafone Warriors in the 2002 NRL grand final final. He also coached New South Wales to three consecutive State of Origin series wins in 1992, 1993 and 1994 followed by a 3-0 whitewash in 1996. In a second stint with the Blues he guided them to two more triumphs as well as a drawn series in 2002-2004.

He took up a role as general manager with the Penrith Panthers from 2011-2019 when he drove the rebuilding of the club, which is currently leading this year’s NRL competition.

Gould was made a member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 2014 for “significant service to rugby league football as an administrator, commentator, coach and player and to the community.”