What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

getsmarty

Immortal
Wendell Sailor & MG Discuss Who Should Be The Next Dragons Coach
ON TRIPLE M FOOTY
dD1NYWluSW1hZ2U

Getty Images

Triple M's Wendell Sailor & Mark Geyer have discussed who they believe should be the next St George Illawarra Dragons coach.

While Dean Young is the interim coach, according to reports former Panthers coach Anthony Griffin is the frontrunner but there's one 'whisper' that doesn't stop going away.

LISTEN HERE:

Don't miss a minute of the action; subscribe to Triple M NRL on the Triple M app, or

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/we...s-who-should-be-the-next-dragons-coach-166120

SaintPeter

Juniors
Knowing what we know now from the Andrew Webster article, i.e. don't touch Griffin with a barge pole - who knew??
Doesn't it make (some sort of) sense to go with Dean Young (with Flano as "assistant" nudge nudge wink wink) in the background for the next year,, and then appoint Flanagan as Head Coach for 2022 etc. ??
I know its a return to jobs for the boys for a short time but it doesn't look like there are any outstanding candidates available at the moment.

Knowing what we know now from the Andrew Webster article, i.e. don't touch Griffin with a barge pole - who knew??
Doesn't it make (some sort of) sense to go with Dean Young (with Flano as "assistant" nudge nudge wink wink) in the background for the next year,, and then appoint Flanagan as Head Coach for 2022 etc. ??
I know its a return to jobs for the boys for a short time but it doesn't look like there are any outstanding candidates available at the moment.
I would be fine with this, except the last couple of weeks the team has resembled a Mary team (Young) and not a Flanno team. Dean would need to be subservient for this to work.

TruSaint

Referee

I dont think the Club cant afford to do this.

1. We dont know IF Flanno will be interested in 2 seasons.
2. Another year of bottom 4.
3. Recruitment.

I can see your point, but dont think we have the luxury of taking such a gamble.

Gippsy

Bench
The articles against him are clearly propaganda by rivals or bitter foes.
They are just too spiteful not to be.

Kind of makes me want him to get the job, slander through hack journalists is poor form.

I'm with you. After the first article I had some doubts but now with another one so soon, bordering on slanderous, there is obviously something else going on. Makes me think he is the hard nosed bastard that will shake the place up a bit.

Dragons 09

Juniors

Nah mate, makes no sense at all. Webster declared his support for Young to get the gig on the footy show that Sterlo hosts, last Sunday. That was just after he had bagged Griffin like a spiteful teenage school girl paying out on her ex bestie that just stole her boyfriend. Wouldn't rely on any opinion he has on the matter......agenda much!

As for giving Young the gig for 1 year, just don't go there. Our long term existence hangs on this decision like no other decision in recent times. If those in charge honestly believe Young's involvement, even for 1 year, is an integral part of the road map to saving our club, we are royally screwed.

denis preston

First Grade
The articles against him are clearly propaganda by rivals or bitter foes.
They are just too spiteful not to be.

Kind of makes me want him to get the job, slander through hack journalists is poor form.

Kinda ironic isn't it that this slander comes out but not a fu--en word by these pelicans about how bad Mcwrecker was for all those years until basically his final games.

I'm my mind, there is no rationale whatsoever in appointing Dean Young as head coach with a view to replacing him in 2022. On a practical level, how does that even work? Does the club announce him as an interim coach for 2021? If not , how do you replace a head coach after only one season?

If Dean Young is appointed head coach, it won't be merely for the 2021 season. It has to be with a view of at least 2 seasons, and any extension is based on results.

No to Dean Young in any way, shape or form.

Straight Shooter

Gareth67

First Grade
Wendell Sailor & MG Discuss Who Should Be The Next Dragons Coach
ON TRIPLE M FOOTY

dD1NYWluSW1hZ2U

Getty Images

Triple M's Wendell Sailor & Mark Geyer have discussed who they believe should be the next St George Illawarra Dragons coach.

While Dean Young is the interim coach, according to reports former Panthers coach Anthony Griffin is the frontrunner but there's one 'whisper' that doesn't stop going away.

LISTEN HERE:

Don't miss a minute of the action; subscribe to Triple M NRL on the Triple M app, or

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/we...s-who-should-be-the-next-dragons-coach-166120

I have only now listen to the podcast (?) or whatever they call it nowadays , but the chap who said that there could be another candidate has me stumped . In as much as he believes that quite possibly Wayne Bennett could be the coach , with Dean Young as his assistant.

“ I had asked him ( W.B. ) only 2 days ago and received a absolute no from him “ - well then there is your answer man , he will not be coming to the Dragons. I know that W.B would always deny such rumors only to go and do the complete opposite , but on each occasion there has been an enormous amount of speculation before any move .

On this occasion there is none . He will remain at Souths and see out his contract .

Coffs dragon

Bench
I'm with you. After the first article I had some doubts but now with another one so soon, bordering on slanderous, there is obviously something else going on. Makes me think he is the hard nosed bastard that will shake the place up a bit.
Griffin should sue Webster & SMH for defamation. I have never seen that level of slander against a coaching applicant for any club.

st.phil

Bench
Griffin should sue Webster & SMH for defamation. I have never seen that level of slander against a coaching applicant for any club.
His mates at macquarie network would happily bankroll that, same guys pumping him for the job in the tele.

Webster is a Dragons supporter and one of the last intelligent voices in league journalism. More than happy that he speak what he believes

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Fascinating!

Is it 1st round or 2nd round?
Were these the only 3 interviewed?
Who else are they waiting for?

Waiting for other interviewees gives the impression those 3 weren't what they're after.

The media have no idea, they're filled with agendas and opinions.

Still expect a wag in the tail.

Pessimist in me says these are stalling tactics for a Young appointment.

Coffs dragon

Bench
His mates at macquarie network would happily bankroll that, same guys pumping him for the job in the tele.

Webster is a Dragons supporter and one of the last intelligent voices in league journalism. More than happy that he speak what he believes
Hey Phil, he couldn’t be too intelligent as he backed the Peanut Mary almost to the end.
I don’t mind him speaking up as a Dragons supporter, but I do believe he’s also backing up his SMH buddy (Gus)