What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Braith Anasta was labelled the most overrated player for years. This is how much it hurt him

The Realist

Juniors
Can someone shut this merkin Bwaith A-spasta up for good? Sick of hearing him. Worst commentator I have ever heard - and there are plenty of shockers out there.

GongPanther

Referee
Can someone shut this merkin Bwaith A-spasta up for good? Sick of hearing him. Worst commentator I have ever heard - and there are plenty of shockers out there.
What happened to Grahame Huges? He was calling games every other week as well as Fox's Controversy Corner. Is he busy on the Dog's board?

Chippy73

Bench
The idea of Braith getting hammered with the RLW most over-rated title year after year (including ones where maybe it wasn't completely warranted) and him being driven further and further into paroxysms of fury and indignation at the injustice of it all, is inexplicably laugh out loud hilarious to me...I dunno why ..the thought of him just blowing up when he heard it announced for like the 3rd or 4th time in a row (or whatever) from the downstairs TV is just funny as f**k.

I possibly loathe his commentary as much as the next person... For mine he's far better in a studio, being asked questions and giving responses. I don't watch it much these days but as an example - when he was on The Back Page, a regular there, I thought he was actually good there. Similarly Greg Alexander - same boat. Commentary is bad, but a panelist (outside of the actual game) suits them far better.

But with this thread getting bumped - I'm genuinely trying to work out why he was actually loathed as much as he was in his playing days...

I've loathed the term "over-rated" coz it's a stigma put on someone rather than something a player has earned or deserves.

Anasta was a very handy player. Possibly suffered from being pumped up to much in the media in his early career. Many have been there before. Ponga, Brooks come to mind. Not their fault though.

He wasn't a dirty player. Was he a "whinger" on the field? I cant really remember, but that is ringing bells a bit..

My funniest memory though was when Neville Costigan out and out bitch-slapped him in a Raiders Roosters Game. Costigan was marker almost on his own tryline, Anasta was playing the ball and as he stood up, Neville basically slapped him like a bear swatting salmon in a river to provoke him into a scrap... it worked...

I've searched long and hard to find footage of it but to no avail. If someone in here has it or can find it, please post a link..... I'm sure you'd be the toast of LeagueUnlimited.....

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Well I mean, when the highlight of your career is getting smacked in the mouth by Faa'logo, that probably says a lot lol

Munky

Coach
His early years with Sherwin were very good.

Deserved his spot on the 2001 kangaroo tour.

Oddly never became a better player with experience.

Latest posts