What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

Bazal

Post Whore
Gay conversion therapy is a suitably sinister name invented by the press (surprise, surprise) but that's all it means. They don't do shock treatment or anything.

DkydB-cU4AAaWzA.jpg

Move the whole circus to the side, would Folau actually bring value to a team? He’s been out of the game for the best part of a decade, is the wrong side of 30 and would demand huge wages. Would he actually be worth it purely from a footballing standpoint?

If the answer is yes, would he also be worth the sideshow that comes along with him? I doubt it. He was always a good target for cross field kicks, but he was never as good as the top earners in the game in my opinion. Always a class below Hayne, Inglis, Gasnier, Hodges and the other elite centres and wingers in the competition. I’d assume he’d be paying fullback if he returned but I can’t imagine him being in the same class as Tedesco, Ponga or Tommy T.

SBD82

Coach
Folau’s social media posts embolden bigots like @The_Frog to publicly defend gay conversion therapy.

That alone should be reason enough for the NRL to distance themselves from him.

NSW Manly

Juniors
Folau’s social media posts embolden bigots like @The_Frog to publicly defend gay conversion therapy.

That alone should be reason enough for the NRL to distance themselves from him.
that's an opinion. gay conversion therapy, lol, aye i've heard of it, but seriously, it should be just laughed at.

Smug Panther

First Grade
If someone who is same sex attracted wishes to follow Christian (or Muslim for that matter) doctrine, and seeks counselling from priests and such, you have a problem with this? Such people do exist, often wishing to follow a career in theology.

Gay conversion therapy is a suitably sinister name invented by the press (surprise, surprise) but that's all it means. They don't do shock treatment or anything.
Your god doesn't exist you coward

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I’m not going to debate that Lodge, Packer etc shouldn’t be getting gigs. I actually emailed the Broncos a letter when they signed Lodge.

I also find it extremely weird that a fair few people here do not think Folau’s comments are damaging.

Lodge’s shocking attack was towards one family. Folau’s hate speech was directed at entire communities - most adults who identify as LGBT can move past this, but the kids, that would be so hard to hear as you are trying to work yourself out and cling onto hope that people might not care about you being gay.

I do not have a religious bone in my body. And if there is an afterlife, I’m sure old IZZY will enjoy getting railed by Satan. Bye bitch!

BadnMean

Juniors
Move the whole circus to the side, would Folau actually bring value to a team? He’s been out of the game for the best part of a decade, is the wrong side of 30 and would demand huge wages. Would he actually be worth it purely from a footballing standpoint?

If the answer is yes, would he also be worth the sideshow that comes along with him? I doubt it. He was always a good target for cross field kicks, but he was never as good as the top earners in the game in my opinion. Always a class below Hayne, Inglis, Gasnier, Hodges and the other elite centres and wingers in the competition. I’d assume he’d be paying fullback if he returned but I can’t imagine him being in the same class as Tedesco, Ponga or Tommy T.

He'd probably go alright. There's a few posters over at the Raiders fansite who are British & they reckon Issy killed it last season.

Smug Panther

First Grade
He'd probably go alright. There's a few posters over at the Raiders fansite who are British & they reckon Issy killed it last season.
Now I like Blake Austin but he's a below average player in Australia but over there he's the best player in the comp

BadnMean

Juniors
Now I like Blake Austin but he's a below average player in Australia but over there he's the best player in the comp

Yeah you can take some of these with a grain of salt. But since issy was good in the NRL previously & good at rugby, I was making the judgement he'd translate ok.

George Williams came over and didn't miss a beat.

SBD82

Coach
that's an opinion. gay conversion therapy, lol, aye i've heard of it, but seriously, it should be just laughed at.
It should be laughed at, but unfortunately it is taken quite seriously by some churches, with very damaging results.

chrisD

Coach
We in modern times rejected "think of the children" as reasonable grounds to suppress expression. The direction we are headed here is disheartening.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We in modern times rejected "think of the children" as reasonable grounds to suppress expression. The direction we are headed here is disheartening.
What expression is being suppressed?

I don’t care really. He’s like Mundine, why does anyone listen to or care what ge says about anything! There are players who have done worse and have either done their time or none at all (ie Walker). He’s a dinosaur, but any club who signs him must have very understanding sponsors and fans + more dollars than sense!

Bazal

Post Whore
How is this even a question? This whole thing is a thing because someone expressed something you want suppressed. What stupid gotcha are you trying to waste my time with?

Whether you agree that this is one of those cases or not, I'm absolutely certain there are things you believe shouldn't be expressed....so your point is largely invalid.

It's simply that you (seemingly) don't believe bashing the gays is a problem. Which is your right and so long as it doesn't extend into bigotry and hate speech like Folau does then whatever, you do you.

chrisD

Coach
Whether you agree that this is one of those cases or not, I'm absolutely certain there are things you believe shouldn't be expressed
It's quite amusing how you just shrug off the concept of freedom of speech like of course no-one could possibly believe in that.