What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

Its a 2nd Tier part-time comp today

That wont change

But the question remains - would you go and watch it without the 3 NRL fringe players
With 30 man NRL squads and Sydney's clubs having just one NSW Cup each, the Queensland Cup is pretty much 3rd tier these days. Most NSW Cup games are played between two teams primarily made up of full time professionals with a few semi-professional players. Queensland Cup is the other way around. It's why the State Championship is so one sided.

Yeah I would still support Wynnum, but will sponsors still be there?

4 of 14 along the northern coast isn't what I'd call "spread across the state". There are no inland teams in the QLD Cup. Ipswich is about the furthest inland. Toowoomba (Mustangs) have a team in the Colts & other lower grade comps.

NSW Cup has teams in Wollongong, Canberra and Newcastle, and the third tier (Massey Cup) spread out last year and looks likely to continue to do so. Maitland, Dubbo, a Western NSW team and Thirroul all partook from memory.

I would like to see a country team or two make it up to NSW Cup but I don't know that it's realistic at this point in time.
Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast. Ideally the Dolphins would become the Moreton Bay Dolphins to represent that city, Wynnum would become Redland Seagulls and Souths would become the Logan Magpies. Tigers are now called Brisbane Tigers. Norths should become the Brisbane Devils. Ipswich Jets. Just need Toowoomba Clydesdales back and make Burleigh the Gold Coast Bears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think we've established that despite Vlandys bluster we arent going to see the return of a national reserve grade for NRL clubs, and are in fact just talking about some extra NSW cup games before Sydney NRL games where possible. There isnt the money or the desire to move back to a national reserve grade, and many would argue there isnt the need.

Big Pete

Referee
I think there's a discussion to be had about expanding the NRL system and getting as many prospects involved in it as possible. With that said, the Gus Gould talking point of blaming the woes of the Broncos and Cowboys on the end of the NYC is a stretch.

First off there was the more pressing matter of coaching. What transpired during the Bennett-Seibold saga has been well documented and in the case of Paul Green it's the typical story of a coach who fell in love with his premiership team. By the time he actually went out and made changes it was far too late, especially since other clubs saw the success the NYC team was having and took their best prospects.

It's also far too early to call. When Gus talks about the loss of the NYC, he isn't talking about players like David Fifita who was going to be a gun regardless of NYC football. It's more about guys like Liam Knight and Brent Naden who have been a part of various NRL systems and only started making an impact in their early to mid 20s. We're still seeing the last generation of NYC players make their debut, so we haven't had a chance to see this next generation of talent.

I don't think the NYC was a success across the board for the NRL. Outside of the Warriors and the Cowboys (at the beginning) it was just another unnecessary expense for a lot of clubs and it created far too many expectations for players. It was not good for player welfare and it rarely generated any buzz. In fact it was usually the subject of ridicule due to the scorelines.

Outside of some passionate fans who did a really good job of documenting the competition, there was hardly any way to keep track of the competition making it difficult for casual fans to care about the competition.

Again, if the NYC was so successful, why wasn't there an overflow of talent in the NSW or QLD Cup? You'd have to imagine if the competition was so successful, there would be calls for more teams. However whenever the subject is brought up the reception is mixed at best with a lot of coaches pointing out the lack of talent.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I think we've established that despite Vlandys bluster we arent going to see the return of a national reserve grade for NRL clubs, and are in fact just talking about some extra NSW cup games before Sydney NRL games where possible. There isnt the money or the desire to move back to a national reserve grade, and many would argue there isnt the need.

Maybe GC see a few but given the Broncs play Thurs and Fri night they won't see any extra games.

Panthers will have 3 or so... So nope people just complain for the sake of it

siv

First Grade
Again, if the NYC was so successful, why wasn't there an overflow of talent in the NSW or QLD Cup?

A key issue is not players going from U20 to RG on the way to NRL

But a issue once you missed the cut in the NYC 25 or NRL 30+6

You retire and find a real job as your professionaly footy career is considered to be over

Big Pete

Referee
A key issue is not players going from U20 to RG on the way to NRL

But a issue once you missed the cut in the NYC 25 or NRL 30+6

You retire and find a real job as your professionaly footy career is considered to be over

For some players that's the case but the vast majority that had any serious potential wind up in other competitions like the English Super League, Queensland Cup or New South Wales Cup. Every year players make their way into the NRL via those competitions.

The NRL has already expanded squad numbers, now trial and train players will be eligible for selection from Round 11 on.

I really don't see this as a player development issue and think it's more about the game-day experience if anything.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NSW Cup draw is up on playrugbyleague.com - most games each round look to be attached to an NRL game, although that starts to dissipate as the season goes on.

Jersey Flegg draw is also up and 75% of games are "Venue TBC". I reckon there would almost certainly be pushback from clubs and/or venues on playing 3 grades on a well-used surface. Interesting that for Flegg R1, three of the four games are standalone with the Panthers game being the only one assigned a triple header.

Diesel

Referee
For a Wynnum vs Easts or Redcliffe game on a Sunday arvo, the Chook Pen is full, the Arthur Lovell Stand has plenty of home and away fans, the licenced areas near the Leagues Clubs are full and there are people behind the posts near the carpark. Ipswich bring a fair few supporters, who can be seen smoking between the car park and Arthur Lovell Stand during half time. Crowds drop off a bit for night games and when the country teams play us. It shows just how important tribalism is and why it's an asset to the game. When I was in the football department to collect my membership package I saw a list of over 100 people had signed up.

I find my experience at Kougari Oval on a Sunday arvo to be light years ahead of the drudgery at Lang Park on a Friday night. I only go to Lang Park when the Cowboys play and am nervous until the end as there's nothing worse than being around Broncos fans when they win. Listening to them whinge on the way home after the Cowboys beat them is worth the price of admission, but for general fun without the pressure there's no better place than Kougari.

Souths Magpies don't have much of a following and their facilities are awful.
Chook Pen circa 2005-8, Saturday arvo were awesome

mongoose

Coach

Good, teams like Hunters and the possible Fiji and New Caledonia teams should be in second tier and not pushed down to a 3rd tier.

King Cliffy

Juniors
After attending Leichhardt Oval on Sunday afternoon,to watch NSW Cup & NRL.We still had to wait 45 minutes between games,and were subjected to some of the worst music I have ever heard during my 50 years of following rugby league.Please if Mr Vlandys has 3 grades going reduce the time between games & the crowds would come early.But really who wants to wait that long between games.No Big League to read.Many rugby league supporters travel big distances to games.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Features of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup includes 58 NRL curtain-raisers, at least 23 games to be broadcast by FOX SPORTS, a Round 10 standalone fixture on Fox League on FOX SPORTS on Thursday night between foundation clubs North Sydney Bears and Western Suburbs Magpies, the return of the Canberra Raiders under their own logo for the first time in 14 years and the Newtown Jets and Parramatta Eels to play at Henson Park in August to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 1981 Grand Final.

The Jersey Flegg Cup will also have 25 NRL curtain-raisers and all up there will be 16 triple-headers (Jersey Flegg Cup, The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup, NRL) and 50 double-headers (Jersey Flegg Cup or The Knock-On Effect Cup, NRL) during the season.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/03/03/2021-season-launches-with-the-knock-on-effect-nsw-cup/

siv

First Grade
Good to see the 3 grades start returning

Don't think they got rid of the 45 min grass growing period to save on Stadium rental costs

But its a step in the right direction

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"Start returning"

They never went away. Barely a change

Perth Red

Post Whore

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
the 250 fans and family who turn up 3 hours before the nrl game will be ecstatic lol

We’d be better off getting a stand alone nsw and qlnd cup screened on fta on a Saturday night in front of 7k fans!
One match of NSW Cup will be available on Foxtel / Kayo each week in NSW Cup.

QLD Cup will be streamed online with some games patch through 9Now as well.

franklin2323

Immortal
the 250 fans and family who turn up 3 hours before the nrl game will be ecstatic lol

We’d be better off getting a stand alone nsw and qlnd cup screened on fta on a Saturday night in front of 7k fans!

Have you seen the crowds these lower grades get? Most clubs would love to get 250 people there

Who is going to watch the game on FTA when NRL is showing?

siv

First Grade
New Covid entry protocols will mean people will need to rock up earlier

No longer will you get in for kickoff if you turn up 30 min before the game

Rocking up 1 hour before kickoff was a big deal for the small trial crowds

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have you seen the crowds these lower grades get? Most clubs would love to get 250 people there

Who is going to watch the game on FTA when NRL is showing?

Saturday night on fta, some of the 1million rl fans who don’t have fox maybe?
No reason a second division that has meaning and gets locals interested and offer something nrl clubs don’t can’t draw decent crowds, other sports manage it in other countries.

franklin2323

Immortal
Saturday night on fta, some of the 1million rl fans who don’t have fox maybe?
No reason a second division that has meaning and gets locals interested and offer something nrl clubs don’t can’t draw decent crowds, other sports manage it in other countries.

Again with the other sports. Comparing apples and oranges. In NSW Cup especially the sides mirror the NRL. So people will bring their love or hate of a team down. A genuine 2nd tier comp is different

Say Panthers play Mounties on Sat night. Outside of the 2 fan bases who is going to care for it? A League FTA and now Super Rugby shows how well inferior comps work on FTA.

QLD Cup have more of a chance but many reasons despite playing night games it isn't on TV.

Biggest one being the suburban grounds used don't have the facilites for night broadcasts. Some barely are fit for day time coverage.

The main reason is the lack of genuine interest from casual viewers. Make the costs not worth it

The games televised on Fox this year. Include Wagga, Bathurst and Dubbo but the equipment is there for NRL anyway.

That is the better way to get exposure for the comp while keeping costs down