What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

siv

First Grade
Probably too big and widespread to fund properly. I'm thinking a $5mill grant and covering of travel etc. For a 14 team comp you'd be looking at around $100mill a year. Not small bikkies by any stretch but if the NRL can close that $250mill revenue gap on AFL then it would be a good long term investment for the game to have a second professional tier.

Grants for Tier 2 should only be $500k. Then maybe add a travel allowance for teams further than 5h from a central location

Thats why I prefer a Qld NSW and NZ based model with 12 to 14 teams

I would rather see a team like NSW regional rep teams playing than say Wyong as it is inclusive of the region. Then you can add Perth, Adelaide and Darwin. Getting the true national footprint

What you can add abive this is the Midweek Cup style knockout

Add the PNG premiers for a End of Season Premiers 4 team playoff

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grants for Tier 2 should only be $500k. Then maybe add a travel allowance for teams further than 5h from a central location

Thats why I prefer a Qld NSW and NZ based model with 12 to 14 teams

I would rather see a team like NSW regional rep teams playing than say Wyong as it is inclusive of the region. Then you can add Perth, Adelaide and Darwin. Getting the true national footprint

What you can add abive this is the Midweek Cup style knockout

Add the PNG premiers for a End of Season Premiers 4 team playoff

you can’t create a fulltime prof league on a $500k grant. We don’t need bigger state comps that no one is very interested in, we need a professional international nrl second division for bigger clubs who can’t get an nrl spot.

if union, which no one watches, can get a $33million a year streaming deal surely a legit nrl2 could? You could bundle ot with nrlw which has also been drawing some decent audiences on fox.
I like the idea of a end of season club comp wit( top nz, Oz and png clubs involved though the gap may be huge.

colly

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/do...plans-succumb-to-big-wet-20210318-p57c0x.html

i must say a 'new' comp below NRL, a semi professional comp must be created. The extra content could be sold to media. The money for 17th team in Brisbane/Qld should be used instead to create a new comp. Anyway a story in SMH (above) and Below in regards to 3 grades having difficlty this weekend due to the big wet.

to Big Wet
635402f1698dc5687fb8f98be5c093fe76cbc56f

By Christian Nicolussi
March 18, 2021 — 7.24pm
The NRL’s much-vaunted return of three grades on the same day has hit a quagmire in just the second round of competition, with Sydney’s Big Wet forcing the relocation of games from Central Coast Stadium, Lottoland and possibly Bankwest Stadium.

Monsoon conditions in the city are set to see up to 50mm of rain fall on Friday then up to a staggering 120mms on Saturday.

Current Time 2:48
/
Duration 2:48

See the top five tries from round 1 of the 2021 NRL Premiership.

Bankwest Stadium staff, who prepared to host the Eels-Melbourne NRL blockbuster on Thursday night, A-League side the Western Sydney Wanderers and then a Canterbury-Penrith double-header on Saturday, struggled to keep the paint markings on the surface because of the constant deluge.

It remains to be seen if the Mounties-Panthers reserve-grade game can even be shifted, because it is set to be beamed live on TV.

The Knights-Newtown Jets clash has already been moved from Gosford on Friday, while Blacktown and Souths have been flicked to Sunday to ensure Lottoland - a ground whose playing surface is notoriously poor whenever it rains - is protected for the Sea Eagles-Rabbitohs NRL clash on Saturday evening.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’Landys was eager to embrace tradition and rush through the return of triple-headers - 20 are slated for this year - but the concept is already posing a logistical nightmare.

27c75ca8a86285893e85322b45be83fc32b209f7

Lottoland is expected to hold up in Sydney’s big wet.Credit:Getty

“It’s an unfair assessment to say this [triple-header] concept is not feasible,” NRL head of football Graham Annesley told the Herald. “Games forever and a day have been affected by bad weather. Even when we used to see all three grades, the earlier grades were re located because of the pitch.

“Given the weather we usually have in Australia, it doesn’t happen often - it’s more a case of bad luck it’s happened this early in the season.”

Annesley was due to inspect Lottoland on Friday before the reserve-grade game was moved altogether.

Sea Eagles boss Steve Humphries remains a fan of having all three grades on the one day, but challenges with weather were always going to exist.

“It will be a best-endeavours approach, we’ll do whatever we can, but there will be occasions we need to be flexible,” Humphries said.

As for Lottoland moving on from its “Brookie bog” reputation, Humphries said: “New drainage was done at the end of 2019 and there were improvements to the pitch itself, so it’s never been better.”

Campbelltown is scheduled to host a reserve-grade game featuring Wests and Joseph Suaalii’s North Sydney on Sunday, and the Wests Tigers confirmed the stadium was still expected to host its double-header.

The big concern will be how playing surfaces hold up with the extra traffic through the winter months. Broadcasters will be mindful of the optics and whether NRL players are forced to play on muddy surfaces.

South Sydney prop Tom Burgess told the Herald last month how he had never suffered ankle problems until he arrived in Australia and played on hard and often muddy playing surfaces.

“I was used to the sloppy mud in Dewsbury, then you play for the Bears at a place like Henson Park, there was a cricket pitch in the middle ... I never strapped my ankles until I moved here,” Burgess said.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
“It’s an unfair assessment to say this [triple-header] concept is not feasible,” NRL head of football Graham Annesley told the Herald. “Games forever and a day have been affected by bad weather. Even when we used to see all three grades, the earlier grades were re located because of the pitch.
I can only assume Annesley never ever looked at game days prior to NRL kickoff in previous years nor a NSWRL draw in any capacity.

This isn't a concept, it's been happening every year without fail forever.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Probably too big and widespread to fund properly. I'm thinking a $5mill grant and covering of travel etc. For a 14 team comp you'd be looking at around $100mill a year. Not small bikkies by any stretch but if the NRL can close that $250mill revenue gap on AFL then it would be a good long term investment for the game to have a second professional tier.

What do you think about playing the second tier in conferences (but as an actual linked comp with a finals series containing teams from each conference) to save on travel costs?

siv

First Grade
you can’t create a fulltime prof league on a $500k grant. We don’t need bigger state comps that no one is very interested in, we need a professional international nrl second division for bigger clubs who can’t get an nrl spot.

if union, which no one watches, can get a $33million a year streaming deal surely a legit nrl2 could? You could bundle ot with nrlw which has also been drawing some decent audiences on fox.
I like the idea of a end of season club comp wit( top nz, Oz and png clubs involved though the gap may be huge.

Tier 2 league should start as a part-time league maybe wuth a $1 mil salary cap

And as such the gap will be less

It allows their financial support like LCs etc to survive

NRL at the moment dominates the professional league

Maybe in 20 to 30 years the population may grow enough to support this part time structure to become full time professionals

Perth Red

Post Whore
What do you think about playing the second tier in conferences (but as an actual linked comp with a finals series containing teams from each conference) to save on travel costs?

it would be too many clubs and therefore too small a grant. It basically would only allow clubs with pokie dens to take part. Given majority fo clubs will be on the east coast A 12-14 club comp should be manageable from a travel point of view.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tier 2 league should start as a part-time league maybe wuth a $1 mil salary cap

And as such the gap will be less

It allows their financial support like LCs etc to survive

NRL at the moment dominates the professional league

Maybe in 20 to 30 years the population may grow enough to support this part time structure to become full time professionals

if you pick locations right, ie without an nrl club, then population doesn't really matter per se. Sydney with all its nrl clubs would be the bigger problem but established clubs with LC backings like bears, jets etc should be able to carve out a niche. Brisbane is under represented, especially the outer suburbs and the other locations like perth and gosford don’t have an nrl team to compete with.
A Part time league isnt going to draw the interest from fans or tv.

siv

First Grade
It costs $100k to broadcast a game according to Vossy...Not sure the income will be there to cover it

All games are recorded these days. That includes NSW Cup and U21s, U19s and U17s

The issue then is delivery method

NSWRL-TV has shown a effective cheap delivery method for Junior RL and non NRL venues.

Simple answer for venues that want to do live broadcasts need internet access. Other games can be shown on delay.

franklin2323

Immortal
All games are recorded these days. That includes NSW Cup and U21s, U19s and U17s

The issue then is delivery method

NSWRL-TV has shown a effective cheap delivery method for Junior RL and non NRL venues.

Simple answer for venues that want to do live broadcasts need internet access. Other games can be shown on delay.

no one is going to watch delayed coverage. Especially on a poor single camera that clubs use

Perth Red

Post Whore
It costs $100k to broadcast a game according to Vossy...Not sure the income will be there to cover it

That’s because you have a cast of 5000! You could produce it for a lot less than that. Sure it wouldn’t be nrl quality production but it would be perfectly fine for viewing. Pretty sure a sport like netball arent spending $100k a game!

typicalfan

Coach
I can only assume Annesley never ever looked at game days prior to NRL kickoff in previous years nor a NSWRL draw in any capacity.

This isn't a concept, it's been happening every year without fail forever.
Annesley reffed during the NSWRL....

siv

First Grade
no one is going to watch delayed coverage. Especially on a poor single camera that clubs use

Why not ? TV doesn't control peoples lives

It would be a on demand service

Sounds like people dont use the record or timeslip features of modern technology

Perth Red

Post Whore
They could sell the rights to games to be streamed on a Saturday. There’s allegedly 5 million RL fans and only 200k of them are watching NRL on a Saturday on fox. There seems to be a lot of RL eyes not watching anything at certain times of the week you could stream games on. For game sin Png and Fiji and nz you could get local tv to cover it and pick up the feed for australia streaming like SL do for French games. Don’t have to necessarily show every game live. 4-5 a week would be enough with rest on demand.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Annesley reffed during the NSWRL....
Thanks scoop, I'm referring to the current NSWRL that administers NSW Cup and Flegg.

Him referring to double headers and triple headers as some kind of "concept" is clear evidence he barely pays attention - if at all - to lower grades. Those events have been happening for years, it's not new, and it's not a concept. It's just always been.

Mark B

Juniors
Reading the posts to this thread it is concerning that the cost is so great. As a young bloke in the later 80’s and early 90’s I loved going to watch the three grades live. Being an Eels supporter the 21’s and reserves were always around the top of their comps whilst the 1st’s were diabolical. Made game day a little enjoyable. The cost to televise the lower grades will be a massive impediment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reading the posts to this thread it is concerning that the cost is so great. As a young bloke in the later 80’s and early 90’s I loved going to watch the three grades live. Being an Eels supporter the 21’s and reserves were always around the top of their comps whilst the 1st’s were diabolical. Made game day a little enjoyable. The cost to televise the lower grades will be a massive impediment.

It doesn’t have to be. Sure if you want all the bells and whistles and a cast of a thousand, but you could easily do it for a third or less of what nrl costs to produce and still have a very watchable and enjoyable televised league.
My broke arse SL club streams every game and it’s watchable, and trust me I doubt it’s costing more than $5k a game!

Latest posts