What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 3 2024: Parra v Manly GAME DAY thread @ Commbank Stadium March 24th

King-Gutho94

Coach
We play Manly again in 4 weeks, April 26th on their turf..

Hopefully we all have a night off and just cut and paste this thread..
That's Round 8 i would be expecting us to be at worst 5-2 heading into that one.

Our next month are all winnable though i do expect us to drop one in typical parramatta fashion maybe the Raiders game down there our record is horrid.

But we should beating the Tigers & Cows at home while the Dolphins in Darwin is a 50/50 atm with the venue but on paper we should win.

Get to Shitvale with 5 or 6 wins on the board should be the aim.

eels_fan

First Grade
Dally M votes: Mitch Moses 6, J'maine Hopgood 2, Junior Paulo 2, Daly Cherry-Evans 1, Tom Trbojevic 1

Dally M Leaderboard after Round 3​

12 points
Nicho Hynes (Sharks)

11 points
James Tedesco (Roosters)

10 points
Ryan Papenhuyzen (Storm)
Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)

8 points
Zac Hosking (Raiders)

7 points
Kalyn Ponga (Knights)
Luke Brooks (Sea Eagles)
Viliame Kikau (Bulldogs)

6 points
Api Koroisau (Wests Tigers)
Bryce Cartwright (Eels)
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins)
Izack Tago (Panthers)
Mitch Moses (Eels)
Tohu Harris (Warriors)
Nathan Cleary (Panthers)

Angry_eel

First Grade
I'm a harsh critic of ba but yesterday, i thought oh no but they stuck at it and now like our style.

We are looking to always offload but hold it if it's not there. It's the way of the future. Manly couldn't be manly coz they were knackered. Even turbo seemed knackered. If you watch panfers last game, they were trying to copy our offloads. Together with that defence of theirs, they will become super dangerous.

Love the right edge defence. Will and russ have worked a great combo.

Ba use of the bench was much much better

Dyl getting more involved a great plus

Now fix the left edge defense and get the dyl, lane combo working and hopefully no injuries and we will do this

Oh, and i think matto has been one of our best. Im glad we didn't trade him
So what you're saying is Penrith will do wbat we do better and we'll still be also-rans.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Nah he should go back to cup and play fullback.

For mine, centres are players who are not good enough to play in the spine.

As far as centre is concerned, he is full-time now and can train that way during the week. But on the weekend, a player like that needs the ball in his hands as much as possible. Last time he played reggies at FB, he received the ball 34 times and the LBAs TAs flowed from there.

I just don't see how playing him in centres around RM players will do him any good. At least at FB he will get involved, sweep etc.
I agree with yours and KGs thoughts on this.
I think yesterday proved his potential. Hes one tough kid. I noticed him and Dyl together walking from the back. Very similar however Dyl is definitely wider in the shoulders. Im sure BT will fill out and be a replica of Dyl.
Our club is so devoid of 1s through 5s that no answer is right or wrong. That said hes probably best suited to 6.
Once his body develops he should be a goodun.
What are your thoughts on Sanders and Mrthur Gronky?

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't get the fascination with Russell at FB, only because has hasn't shown any ball playing skill ever. I agree he has a big body and is safe, so I see him as a temp fullback if anything.

Big body so would be ok in defense to stop bigger man.
Carts ball reasonably strong so can break tackles
Tall so should be ok under high ball

On ball playing Dylan has stepped up his role. I barely see Gutherson ballplay these days or throwing the money ball. Guthersons running game is very ordinary. Rarely makes a bust these days, doesn't really break tackles either. He is very safe and can ball play but that's been taken away from him.
I'd be suprised if Gutherson is fullback after 2025.

84 Baby

Referee
So does this game put to bed the ridiculous calls for Matterson to be traded for a centre? I don’t think the game turns the way it did without Mattersons contribution when he came on. He’s clearly one of our best forwards.
But with improved edges, does it get to 14-0? The choice could very well be Matterson & Harper or Not Matterson & Not Harper.
Although I’m not shy in my opinion that it should be Matterson & Talagi

Cloeel

Juniors
Big body so would be ok in defense to stop bigger man.
Carts ball reasonably strong so can break tackles
Tall so should be ok under high ball

On ball playing Dylan has stepped up his role. I barely see Gutherson ballplay these days or throwing the money ball. Guthersons running game is very ordinary. Rarely makes a bust these days, doesn't really break tackles either. He is very safe and can ball play but that's been taken away from him.
I'd be suprised if Gutherson is fullback after 2025.

Does Manly destroy our left edge yesterday is Gutho is in the centres?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Dally M votes: Mitch Moses 6, J'maine Hopgood 2, Junior Paulo 2, Daly Cherry-Evans 1, Tom Trbojevic 1

Dally M Leaderboard after Round 3​

12 points
Nicho Hynes (Sharks)

11 points
James Tedesco (Roosters)

10 points
Ryan Papenhuyzen (Storm)
Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)

8 points
Zac Hosking (Raiders)

7 points
Kalyn Ponga (Knights)
Luke Brooks (Sea Eagles)
Viliame Kikau (Bulldogs)

6 points
Api Koroisau (Wests Tigers)
Bryce Cartwright (Eels)
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins)
Izack Tago (Panthers)
Mitch Moses (Eels)
Tohu Harris (Warriors)
Nathan Cleary (Panthers)

No points for Nicho on Saturday Night.

Needs to be an investigation surely.

Hard to argue with those votes. Tommy & DCE will always poll with 1 vote each.

Moses won the battle over DCE quite clearly.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Him and Junior changed the game.

Credit to bald for bringing them off the bench? He's adjusted to having both his gun props off at the same time and losing momentum through the middle. Now we bring on a really nice pair of props who can up the ante, and potentially outplay the starters.

I think they made an impact, but full credit to RCG when he came back on - that put the game pretty well to bed. That set of 6 where he belted Jaxson Paulo in the corner (and told him all about it) - Manly were stuck for the whole set. We got the ball in good position, got a repeat set and scored to go up 26-18. Manly looked like they were physically beaten at that point (to me at least)

oldmancraigy

Coach
Does Manly destroy our left edge yesterday is Gutho is in the centres?

Who is on the wing? If it is Harper, then, yes... It looked like the defensive gameplan was an acknowledgement of how slow he was, he seemed to be attempting to hit the half with Blaize and Dyl covering behind.

lingard

Coach
Yeaterdays win has been grossly underrated, I think. I reckon for Parramatta to be playing with basically no left centre, no left winger, and no established defensive combination on that left edge, speaks volumes for our spirit and tenacity. It also speaks volumes for our current coaching staff. Our forwards and halves were outstanding, and the controlled offloading among the forwards was the perfect tactic in a game where we had only half a backline. When we get Sivo and Simmo back (and drop Harper) we will be such a good side. Based on yesterday's performance, we could go all the way this year. It was a stunning performance.