What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Thats how stadiums are built these days, or at least how they built the new stands at HBF stadium.
Difference is if concrete or scaffold. Scaffold obviously a lot cheaper and easier to remove.
Heres the east stand at hbf, each of those big concrete spine parts were craned in and the roof was all pre made sections craned into place.

View attachment 86964
View attachment 86965

Example of a roofed modular scaffold stand. These could work well for the ends of a cheaper build stadium.

View attachment 86966
View attachment 86967
They can make modular stands for the Brissy Olympics

beave

Coach
yeh really didnt get the comment about wombledon!

I suppose depends how temp they are? HBF stadium seemed to have those type stands prior to the refurb for over a decade. How long was NQ cowboys temp stands up for? Biggest issue for thos stands is more having a decent roof, its hard to build a decent sized roof out of scaffold.

Maybe two main stands in concrete and two of these style end stands would bring costs down a bit?

At $300mill+ for two stands at Penrith I doubt we are going to be seeing any new stadiums anywhere for a long time.

you talking about the ones they set up for origin at QCB on the northern end?

cinders7

Juniors
Last I checked QE2 stadium (QSAC/future Brissie olympic athletic stadium) still has temp stands from the 1982 Commonwealth Games. They were not fun to sit on when watching the Broncos back in the day.

Temp stands definitely have their place, moreso for a small club building their way up to higher leagues in an open system. In the NRL they'd be joining at the highest level immediately and would need to compete with top level amenities or deal with the lack of casuals at their games.

Brutus

Referee
Last I checked QE2 stadium (QSAC/future Brissie olympic athletic stadium) still has temp stands from the 1982 Commonwealth Games. They were not fun to sit on when watching the Broncos back in the day.

Temp stands definitely have their place, moreso for a small club building their way up to higher leagues in an open system. In the NRL they'd be joining at the highest level immediately and would need to compete with top level amenities or deal with the lack of casuals at their games.

It was an absolutely awful ground to watch footy at - QEII. Those temp stands were so far away and on a terrible angle.

yakstorm

First Grade
The modular approach can be built to be more permanent. The National Football Stadium in Port Moresby contains a 3,000 seat permanent concrete grandstand (which includes corporate facilities, etc), whilst the other seats around the venue were built using the modular approach and are expected to be in place for the next 25 years.

png-national-football-stadium.jpg

Cost for that was AUD$88m (https://populous.com/an-optimistic-...national-football-stadium-in-papua-new-guinea), with the biggest cost being bringing the equipment and materials into PNG.

Canard

Immortal
The modular approach can be built to be more permanent. The National Football Stadium in Port Moresby contains a 3,000 seat permanent concrete grandstand (which includes corporate facilities, etc), whilst the other seats around the venue were built using the modular approach and are expected to be in place for the next 25 years.

png-national-football-stadium.jpg

Cost for that was AUD$88m (https://populous.com/an-optimistic-...national-football-stadium-in-papua-new-guinea), with the biggest cost being bringing the equipment and materials into PNG.
That just isn't going to be suitable for a stadium in Australia for the NRL though.

No roofing (or a tiny amount), no corporates. I would suggest the facilities (food, beverage and toiltets etc. would be next to non-existent.

This would be great for a QCup or NSW Cup side maybe.

yakstorm

First Grade
That just isn't going to be suitable for a stadium in Australia for the NRL though.

No roofing (or a tiny amount), no corporates. I would suggest the facilities (food, beverage and toiltets etc. would be next to non-existent.

It actually has corporate facilities for 500 people, a 300 person viewing deck, over 200 toilets and 50 food & beverage outlets, but regardless, I wasn't stating it was an NRL ground, just that the modular grandstands can be built to be permanent.

No NRL club is going to be building a completely modular stadium anyway. Anyone who may consider that approach, firstly wouldn't be in a position to just knock down all the permanent structures they have in place, and secondly would only be considering this as an option of increasing capacity at the lowest possible cost point.

parrawentyfan

Juniors

Potentially better than the hills they have at places like Brookvale and WIN?

but yes lack of facilities would be painful.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Modular doesn’t necessarily mean scaffolding either. It’s basically anything that can be built offsite to a standard design and assstmbled onsite. Think steel girder construction with a design life in the decades. But yeah in general it’s suited for just building stands, not so much fully serviced stadia. Though some facilities like toilet blocks and merch/food stands can also be effectively provided with modular buildings or mobile facilities.

Last edited:
It was an absolutely awful ground to watch footy at - QEII. Those temp stands were so far away and on a terrible angle.

The temp stands were also mainly in the sun during day games. Hence it felt like sitting on an oven hot plate when it was warm weather.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've said for a while that the Raiders should explore building a cheap or modular stadium as a stop gap until the government gets around to building the new stadium in the next couple decades.

With the help of a developer and potentially the government and NRL, the Raiders could buy some decent land and build a 16-20k basic stadium as cheaply as possible, no thrills just the bare necessities. They could rent it out to the Brumbies and potential A-league side and continue to use Bruce for bigger matches where necessary. Once the new stadium is finally built they could simply dismantle it and develop the land.

It'd be a solid compromise if they could pull it off, which I admit isn't a given, but they'd never consider it. They are too entitled and lacking in ambition to seriously attempt to solve the issue for themselves.

Canard

Immortal
Modular doesn’t necessarily mean scaffolding either. It’s basically anything that can be built offsite to a standard design and assstmbled onsite. Think steel girder construction with a design life in the decades.
That's how all modem stadia are built.

It's not like the steel was cast in situ at Commbank or the SFS for example.

The only difference I can see is in the construction of the footing and foundations.

And that's not exactly the major cost item anyway.