What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: Origin 1 :: NSW 18 QLD 10 @ ANZ

Origin 1 Result :: Blues v Maroons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Mullen fears it's too late

By Christian Nicolussi | May 12, 2008 12:00am

JARROD Mullen knows all too well he has one final chance to boost his Origin claims with a solid performance for the Knights in front of Melbourne and NSW coach Craig Bellamy tonight.

Mullen was last week crunched from $101 into $7 to play the hotly contested No. 7 position for NSW against Queensland this month.

But the young halfback said last night that even if he produced a stellar 80-minute display against the premiers, his bid for an Origin recall may have come too late.

"I think the fact I had a calf injury and the whole timing of it kept me out of City-Country will make it tough for me," Mullen said.

"It's great I get to play in front of the Origin coach and I'll be out there trying to stake my claim. But the team is picked (on) Tuesday and even with a big game I don't think I'll get in.

"We'll see what happens but I think it will come down to Kurt Gidley and Brett Finch for the halfback role."

Mullen, who made his first and only appearance for NSW in the opening game last year, said that if he was overlooked for this season's opener, it would be almost impossible to appear in the remainder of the series.

"It all depends on how the halfback plays in the first game," Mullen said.

"But the way I see it is if they are picked in the position for the first game, the halfback should be good enough to play the remainder of the series."

Mullen said Origin had played on his mind but he was more determined to secure two competition points for the Knights, who have a dreadful record at Olympic Park.

Newcastle have had 144 points scored against them during their past three outings south of the border.

Mullen said he was confident his side could turn things around. The Storm have nine players backing up from Friday's Centenary Test but Mullen said Newcastle were capable of springing an upset.

Coach Brian Smith would not be drawn on Mullen's Origin chances.

"I'll leave all that to the selectors, my only concern is with my team," Smith said.

But Smith said he was delighted with the way Mullen had been playing.

Another player at rough odds of forcing his way into the Origin line-up is Ben Cross, who returns to Olympic Park for the first time since being squeezed out of Melbourne because of salary-cap restrictions. But, like Mullen, Cross said even a big game was no guarantee he would be given the nod to take on the Queenslanders.
LINK

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Braith Anasta
7. Matt Orford
8. Brett White
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Ben Cross
11. Willie Mason
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Greg Bird

14. Brent Kite
15. Anthony Laffranchi
16. Anthony Tupou
17. Paul Gallen

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
*bump*

NSW team should be incoming about... 11-11:30am or so, QLD between 2-3pm.

:crazy:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
OFFICIAL NEW SOUTH WALES SIDE

1 Brett Stewart
2 Jarryd Hayne
3 Mark Gasnier
4 Matt Cooper
5 Anthony Quinn
6 Greg Bird
7 Peter Wallace
8 Brett White
9 Danny Buderus (c)
10 Ben Cross
11 Ryan Hoffman
12 Willie Mason
13 Paul Gallen

14 Anthony Laffranchi
15 Anthony Tupou
16 Craig Fitzgibbon
17 Ben Hornby

Source: 2GB live announcement from NSWRL Headquarters.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well, that will do me. I'm not one of Anasta's biggest fans, but how the hell did he miss out? :|

Spank

Juniors
We are so going down 3-0 hahaha

Thats the weakest SOO team i have seen in years, how can you only have 1 front row forward on the bench ????

Regretting spending that $130 on a ticket now :(