What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: PF2 Sat :: Storm 40 Broncos 10 @ Etihad

2009 Grand Finalist #2: Storm or Broncos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shorty

Staff member
^Um speak for yourself, they've been cruising under the radar while everyone spoke about the Dogs, Parra and Dragons.
Should be a good final, I expect the Broncos to be defeated yet again by Melbourne before the GF.
The only thing better would be a GF defeat.

Nobody rated Melbourne before they beat Manly. They've been average for most of the season, their attack has been known to be predictable. All of a sudden they beat (IMO) an average team, and their favorites?

Broncos have not exactly set the world on fire for most of the season either...they are favourites because they have been there in the last few years. I have no issue with that.

Predictable attack huh...tell me what is predictable about it then ??.

renouf

Juniors
The double pump play by Cooper Cronk (which usually ends up being a forward pass)
Passing to inglis and hoping
The cross field kick (although that doesn't work anymore now that Folau is gone)

Plenty of league commentators and writers have spoken about how Melbourne's attack has struggled for most of the season, of course now that you beat Manly convincingly that's all been forgotten about.

What's the deal with PJ Marsh? Is he in the Broncos doghouse or something?

I would've thought he would be the #1 choice to fill in for Wallace. Sure it's not his position of choice and I know Ben Hunt is probably the better halfback even at this stage of his career but:

a) PJ has played halfback before, albeit average-ly.
and
b) PJ has played Origin / finals games / etc etc and will have the experience factor.

At the end of the day all he's needed for is for the occassional kick / pass / yell at forwards. Lockyer / cutie can do most of the playmaking.

Am I missing something or is there more to why he's not the most logical option? Even if he's playing sh*t I'd still pick him.

typicalfan

Coach
The double pump play by Cooper Cronk (which usually ends up being a forward pass)
The cross field kick (although that doesn't work anymore now that Folau is gone)

Plenty of league commentators and writers have spoken about how Melbourne's attack has struggled for most of the season, of course now that you beat Manly convincingly that's all been forgotten about.
Storm have the big match players that excel this time of year. They seemed to have timed their run well and will be better for the week off and not having to travel.

Melbourne blew Manly off the park, it was the best performance from any team in the finals so far imo and Brisbane are up against it big time.

Broncos will turn up to play but Melbourne wont be as easily shelved as the Dragons were.

Passing to Inglis and hoping...stop generalising.

Noa

First Grade

:lol:, are u really that simple, I mean we hardly put cross-kicks in anymore.

Passing early to Inglis means that teams cant compress there lines much which leave bigger holes in the ruck. Its leave the big men out of postion on the next play and also fatigues them a bit quicker

Plenty of league experts (of which u obviously are not) are also writing now how different and unpredictable the Storms attack is.

We had nearly 50 offloads 3 weeks ago ffs.

I think your just trying hard to convince yourself you are the better team, which is understandable.

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
Storm have the big match players that excel this time of year. They seemed to have timed their run well and will be better for the week off and not having to travel.

Melbourne blew Manly off the park, it was the best performance from any team in the finals so far imo and Brisbane are up against it big time.

Broncos will turn up to play but Melbourne wont be as easily shelved as the Dragons were.

For sure, the Dragons knocked off Melbourne in the regular rounds 6-7 weeks ago.. and that game was played like a semi final too.

It's going to be very difficult to beat Melbourne in Melbourne.. no doubt.

aussies1st

Staff member
Don't see the Broncos winning without a proper halfback, all the kicking is basically going to be done by Lockyer so its obvious where to send the troops.

Don't see the Broncos winning without a proper halfback, all the kicking is basically going to be done by Lockyer so its obvious where to send the troops.

Good point...if Lockyer has to do all the kicking this will nullify his passing game to an extent.

renouf

Juniors

Actually McCollough has a decent long kicking game.. it's just we don't see it that often.

Noa

First Grade
Yep, and when Locky doesnt have play-making help he can try to get involved in every play instead of picking his spots.

Yep, and when Locky doesnt have play-making help he can try to get involved in every play instead of picking his spots.

All Storm needs to do is watch his skip pass...the refs need to watch Thaiday running decoys...it borders on obstruction.

Whoosh

Juniors
Storm by 4. The Broncos are no finals novices, and they've done it before without a halfback (sorry Shane Perry, but it's the truth!), but the week off will have given plenty of time to prepare and the home ground advantage is too strong down there.

Country Bronco

Juniors
I'm more confident now than had Wallace played. After seven wins straight something was about to break but now a man down, complacency gone and we're now rank outsiders to bow out of the comp, there's nothing to lose. We're going to give it one hell of a go and we have the personnel to do it. More importantly, we've got a mere immortal, a four premiership winning player, fourteen seasons worth of experience and Australian, Queensland and Broncos Captain in Darren Lockyer. Never has there been a time for Locky to step up and take his throne so it be the broncos by 16. 34-18 the score.

I'm more confident now than had Wallace played. After seven wins straight something was about to break but now a man down, complacency gone and we're now rank outsiders to bow out of the comp, there's nothing to lose. We're going to give it one hell of a go and we have the personnel to do it. More importantly, we've got a mere immortal, a four premiership winning player, fourteen seasons worth of experience and Australian, Queensland and Broncos Captain in Darren Lockyer. Never has there been a time for Locky to step up and take his throne so it be the broncos by 16. 34-18 the score.

Take his throne...the guy is not royalty.:roll:

Shorty

Staff member
Kia, what's your beef with Lockyer?
I could never hate Lockyer, even if he plays for the f**king Broncos!