What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: PF2 Sat :: Storm 40 Broncos 10 @ Etihad

2009 Grand Finalist #2: Storm or Broncos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shorty

Staff member
Am I the only one that sees a comparison with the 2008 Cronulla Sharks and this Melbourne team?

Think about it. They came into the finals on the back of some momentum after beating a few teams outside the 8, beat a mistake-riddled team in the first week and were gifted a week off after other results went their way. And now they play a team coming off their game of the season and missing a playmaker...hmm...and then they were kept to nil at home in the prelim.

(well, Andrew can hope anyway)
:lol::lol:
They're nothing like the Cronulla team, geez anything to try and make yourself more confident in your team huh?

renouf

Juniors
If Melbourne are as good as most people think they are, they should win this easily.. Most of Brisbane's attack does come from Lockyer, but I think we'll miss Wallace's kicking game badly..

Big Pete

Referee
If anything, St. George was this finals Cronulla Sharks. Awesome forward pack, mediocre backline.

If Melbourne are as good as most people think they are, they should win this easily.. Most of Brisbane's attack does come from Lockyer, but I think we'll miss Wallace's kicking game badly..

I actually think that this will be a very close game...the Bronco's forwards have good balance with strength and skill and Storm will need to match their intensity in the first 20 mins.

Storm will target Winterstein who looked average under the high ball last week and Inglis will look to pop passes inside so that Storm attacks up the middle.

Noa

First Grade
Will Chambers needs to hold his nerve on Saturday and stay on Issy and leave Dave Taylor to Cooper Cronk and Adam Blair.

Lowdown

Juniors
Let's face it people: The only reason people say 'it'll be much closer than what you think' yada yada yada is either they are overly optimistic or simply dont want to go out on a limb and predict a smashing.

Shorty

Staff member
Is anyone actually interested in the game or is it battle of the egos?
Melbourne will not smash Brisbane, they haven't got this far just to lay over and take it.
As well as that, although the Storm were immaculate against Manly - It wasn't as if they really were challenged.

Likewise for Brisbane, the Dragons weren't executing simple things like passing and the right kicking.
Both wins were fairly one sided so I think this game is going to be more like last year.
We'll see who wants it more, with Wallace out I'd say Storm.

Evenflow

Bench
Melbourne will not smash Brisbane, they haven't got this far just to lay over and take it.

Melbourne also didn't go that far last year just to lay over and take it against manly but look what happened. Same the year before when manly smashed the Storm. While teams don't just "lay over" sometimes if the opposition is far too good there's little they can do about it no matter how hard they try. Whether that happens on Saturday or not remains to be seen but i'm not necessarily referring to that anyway, i'm just pointing out that things don't always go to script.

My prediction could turn out to be wrong but so what? that's just my guess and it won't have any relevance on the game whatsoever, just like your prediction won't either. I'm not exactly sure what anything has to do with ego but my pick is purely based on who i think will win.

I don't see why everyone's creaming themselves over Melbourne here. The last month of the season they had some very indifferent form, and they've gained momentum by playing 3 very poor teams since then. Manly were diabolical. They weren't expecting the week off, so it may very well have messed up their rhythm. It'll be 15 days since they last played when they step out against the Broncos

It's not like Lockyer's ever stepped up to win us a game when Wallace has gone missing either. McCullough has a bit of a kicking game too. Defence is just as strong with Glenn in there. This game could definitely go either way, but from what we saw last week it won't be a walkover. I just don't see why everyone's creaming themselves over the Storm.

mongoose

Coach
The Storm should have more motivation to win this game. That 06 GF loss and then the record loss in 08 will be still hurting them. Thats why im tipping the storm, i think they have unfinished business. This will be their toughest game though. Inglis and Slater will need to have massive games because their other backs look vunerable to me. If they win this I think they will win the GF easily.

Evenflow

Bench
LOL @ people getting all defensive when someone doesn't pick their side :lol:

This is my opinion and my opinion only. You have your reasons for picking it'll be a close one and you may very well be right. At the risk of upsetting you or anyone else any further i'll still say Mexicans by 13+. If i'm wrong like i very well may be then feel free to remind me about it when the time comes, i know i certainly won't be losing any sleep over the result either way. It wouldn't be the first time i'm wrong with my tips and it sure as sh*t won't be the last.

Now excuse me, i'll just get back to creaming over the Storm now :lol:

Was that directed at my post?

Call it defensive if you will (I don't think so), I think they deserve to be slight favourites but nothing more. I'm not completely convinced by them beating 3 very average sides and then cooling their heels for 15 days, and I'm not sure how the punters can be either.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Was that directed at my post?

Call it defensive if you will (I don't think so), I think they deserve to be slight favourites but nothing more. I'm not completely convinced by them beating 3 very average sides and then cooling their heels for 15 days, and I'm not sure how the punters can be either.

Let it go !!!! Mac. Don't even bother with evenflow. He's been blowing his own trumpet for at least the last twenty four hours.

Storm have a lot of hype surrounding them at moment. I too have felt that we're not getting the respect we deserve but its down to the 34 players that take the field and not what anyone on here says.. Just ignore it. We're in a good position to make it 8 out 8 so just saviour this time before the game being positive and ready to cheer for the broncos. Happy days.

Evenflow

Bench
Let it go !!!! Mac. Don't even bother with evenflow. He's been blowing his own trumpet for at least the last twenty four hours.

About what? Because i think the Storm will beat your mob? Another one that's getting defensive about it i see :lol:

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Storm will target Winterstein who looked average under the high ball last week
Last week was actually one of his better weeks under the high ball. He was dreadful earlier in the season, and although he's improved it's definitely still a weakness.

I'm amazed teams don't target him more.

Last week was actually one of his better weeks under the high ball. He was dreadful earlier in the season, and although he's improved it's definitely still a weakness.

I'm amazed teams don't target him more.

Look out...Storm will do it this week. Inglis and Chambers will be charging at him as well on these bombs as well as the wingers.

Shorty

Staff member
Melbourne also didn't go that far last year just to lay over and take it against manly but look what happened. Same the year before when manly smashed the Storm. While teams don't just "lay over" sometimes if the opposition is far too good there's little they can do about it no matter how hard they try. Whether that happens on Saturday or not remains to be seen but i'm not necessarily referring to that anyway, i'm just pointing out that things don't always go to script.

My prediction could turn out to be wrong but so what? that's just my guess and it won't have any relevance on the game whatsoever, just like your prediction won't either. I'm not exactly sure what anything has to do with ego but my pick is purely based on who i think will win.
No well I meant that it's basically Storm and Broncos fans getting up each other for predicting large wins.
And they're both saying the same thing about each team.

I suppose these two are the most similar teams in the NRL though.

Latest posts