What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: QF1 Fri :: Storm 40 Sea Eagles 12 @ Etihad

Qualifying Final 1 :: Storm v Sea Eagles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clipser

Juniors
Woeful performance by manly, pretty sure the joint we were watching the game at actually turned half the tv's to something worth watching!

typicalfan

Coach
You totally missed the point i'm trying to make. If you finish 6th, and you lose in the first week of the Finals, your fate shouldn't have to be in the hands of other teams, you should automatically be eliminated. Which is why i prefer the AFL system.

I'm not saying that AFL system is perfect as there are certain aspects about it that i don't like, but at least its simpler to deal with and gives a top 4 team a definite second chance, something i rate very highly. Plus if you finish outside the Top 4 and lose in the first week, your automatically eliminated, something else i rate very highly.
I think AFL system rewards the 1st placed team less than the NRL system. home field advantage is the only difference between 1st and 4th.

Just got home from the game....Manly totally dominated by Storm in all aspects.

It did not help with Kite getting concussed early and I question why they played Lyon with his injury.

Manly got done in the forwards through sheer urgency and their backline had nothing..going across field looking for a gap was aply they used in the last game. It will not work in a final.

Oh well...Storm got revenge and revenge is sweet,

Ridders

Coach
I think AFL system rewards the 1st placed team less than the NRL system. home field advantage is the only difference between 1st and 4th.

Maybe so, but i also think the NRL system rewards teams that finish 5th or 6th too much. I know i've harped on about it, but if you finish 5th or 6th and lose in the first week of Finals, under any fair system, there is no way you should be able to make it to Week 2.

Last edited:

Carnifex

Juniors
Thats what ive been expecting from the boys all year!! top effort. Manly were weakened but it was good to whoop their asses. Slater and Hoffy were great...the forwards ran hard and made plenty of metres and the halves really steered us in the right direction...more of that please!!!

Noa

First Grade
15th minute , Phil Gould.

"They look strong Manly, boy they look strong".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Carnifex

Juniors
Yeah gould kept saying they looked more physical...i thought our defence was much more physical TBH.

Noa

First Grade
Yeah at the game I thought we were always in control. Phil must have been talking through his kick......as usual

Not really, in the AFL the loser of the top 4 games in the first week host finals in the 2nd week against a team from 5th to 8th. If 1st to 4th lose in the NRL then they are on the road for the rest of the finals and could face a higher ranked team.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Manly are still dangerous and a team to watch. They have been SO inconsistent this year and it would surprise me at all if they came out and put 50 on someone next week.

Thats IF they make it to week 2 however.

mongoose

Coach
Jeez i hope Manly get eliminated before next week. No team outside the 4 deserves a second chance after dropping such an epic stink bomb in the Finals.

yeah its bull. the cowboys got beaten by 50 in the first week of 2005 then made the grand final? Mcintyre system is a farce.

typicalfan

Coach
Not really, in the AFL the loser of the top 4 games in the first week host finals in the 2nd week against a team from 5th to 8th. If 1st to 4th lose in the NRL then they are on the road for the rest of the finals and could face a higher ranked team.
1st plays 8th at home and gets a week off, that is a better than the AFL option in facing a more dangerous opponent.

Ridders

Coach
1st plays 8th at home and gets a week off, that is a better than the AFL option in facing a more dangerous opponent.

I admit that the AFL system probably disadvantages 1 and 2 more than our system, but apart from that, its much more fair and logical. Much simpler as well, and there aren't any meaningless games, unlike the case with our current one where if teams 1 and 2 win, the rest of the games played mean sh*t all.

Gaba

First Grade
I admit that the AFL system probably disadvantages 1 and 2 more than our system, but apart from that, its much more fair and logical. Much simpler as well, and there aren't any meaningless games, unlike the case with our current one where if teams 1 and 2 win, the rest of the games played mean sh*t all.
games 5 v 8 and 6 v 7

loser of 1/4 v winner 5/8

loser of 2/3 v winner of 6/7

are meaningless games in afl

very rarely do you get the winner of the bottom 8 make the grand final,

why do teams 5 .6.7. 8 even bother to play

Last edited:

Country Bronco

Juniors
Rather disappointing game from a neutral spectators prospective. Manly were visibly inconvenienced by kite's concussion but it seemed as thou and gus kept commenting that they were looking the better of the two physically until the storm really got on top through playing finals football which is building pressure, completing sets, restricting errors in your own half, quick line speed in defence, strong tackling and making that step up in attack to the rest of the year. It was only in the second half the storm were totally dominate and man handling the sea eagles pack. Slater was supreme for tonight as said the best players come to the fore in finals its just a shame that orford and lyons both had off nights. But its not all over for manly until all results are known and they're a side who can quite easily turn their fortunes around as per the start to this year and still finishing in the eight. To melbourne well no one would want to play against them at etihad for the rest of the year or meet them before the final. They're the bench mark till the dragons play.

Manly are still dangerous and a team to watch. They have been SO inconsistent this year and it would surprise me at all if they came out and put 50 on someone next week.

Thats IF they make it to week 2 however.

Are you serious ???....that will not happen. They had no cohesion and their backline did not even threaten Storm.

grandorient

Bench
Hello Kia Ora Storm,

and first of all congratulations.

I'm with me so hornby to a certain degree, perhaps not by 50, but certainly by a reasonable margin. Don't forget, you guys played some great finals footy yesterday and are certainly heading in the right direction. I think Manly, if still in it, will bounce back with a vengeance and give it to their opposition next week..

Anyway best wishes for the remainder, (until you meet Saints of course) and then all I can wish for is a battle royale between the two clubls.

GO

Hello Kia Ora Storm,

and first of all congratulations.

I'm with me so hornby to a certain degree, perhaps not by 50, but certainly by a reasonable margin. Don't forget, you guys played some great finals footy yesterday and are certainly heading in the right direction. I think Manly, if still in it, will bounce back with a vengeance and give it to their opposition next week..

Anyway best wishes for the remainder, (until you meet Saints of course) and then all I can wish for is a battle royale between the two clubls.

GO

Cheers GO...I stand by my opinion that I cannot see Manly wiping a team off the park.

The finals require consistency and the ability to dig yourself out of it if your team is down on intensity and Manly did not have that last night.