What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10k fine coming for Trent

The Illawarra Mercury - unbiased? OK
We'll wait to see what the Wentworth Courier has to say on the matter

I understand the game is physical yet players who've just been smashed don't get up 3 seconds later and run 50 metres in 5 seconds either

Look players have been copping knocks and getting up for years. Yes sometimes they're sore, but I can point out a thousand times when a player has been smashed and bounced back up before video technology started giving them a reason not to do so.

The players know that any contact, no matter how fleeting will win them a penalty if they stay down. Hell, we see trainers running on when the players are getting up so to tell them to go back down for a penalty.

Players are competitive and will use any edge they can to win a game, fair or otherwise.

If we want to encourage that sort of behaviour as associated football has done by rewarding players for falling over then I will have to stop watching as I have stopped watching football.

Yeh, the Illawarra Mercury gets a regular mention on Media Watch. It's a truth teller of a rag.

The Brain

Juniors
The anti rooster shit here is mindless boof headed stuff.

You should be thanking Robinson for bringing it to the front for what everybody is complaining about since round 1- the refs and their bunker system is ruining the game.

They should get rid of it once and for all. Blokes on field have no clue or power, bloke in Bunker has his own set set of interpretations in the end the ref is a bunny to the bunker and comes out looking stupider than before .Cummins is a low end ref and needs his ass kicked.
Besides all that way too many changes over the last 15 years making the game to hard to officiate.

Turn the clock back to late eighties and early nineties and you will find the answer there.When the game was run the best .
Im dumbfounded that two refs are watching a try been scored and a one foot away and have to go the the bunker???
What are the touchys doing?.
I agree with Corey Parker if pricks are laying down -off to the side line for concussion tests .That will put an end to the actors guild .
Its damn pathetic that every second game can be decided by inept officials or momentum swing because they feel like it .

Chook

First Grade
Benji Marshall admitted last night on 360 that McGregor encourages his players to stay down for a penalty. It takes a special kind of gutlessness to lay down on Anzac day.

40K fine, we'll pay that out of petty cash.

Chook.

Snappy

Coach
The anti rooster shit here is mindless boof headed stuff.

You say this and then go on and have a sooky rant like everyone else.

You should be thanking Robinson for bringing it to the front for what everybody is complaining about since round 1- the refs and their bunker system is ruining the game.

They should get rid of it once and for all. Blokes on field have no clue or power, bloke in Bunker has his own set set of interpretations in the end the ref is a bunny to the bunker and comes out looking stupider than before .Cummins is a low end ref and needs his ass kicked.
Besides all that way too many changes over the last 15 years making the game to hard to officiate.

Turn the clock back to late eighties and early nineties and you will find the answer there.When the game was run the best .
Im dumbfounded that two refs are watching a try been scored and a one foot away and have to go the the bunker???
What are the touchys doing?.
I agree with Corey Parker if pricks are laying down -off to the side line for concussion tests .That will put an end to the actors guild .
Its damn pathetic that every second game can be decided by inept officials or momentum swing because they feel like it .

Card Shark

Immortal

As a whole, we bag our refs out way too much.

It's a very complicated game to officiate, decisions need to be made nearly every second....was the tackle high, did he get off the tackled player quick enough, did he play it with his foot, is the defence back 10, was there a little knock-on at dummy half, are the markers square, did they leave early, was the pass forward from dummy half.....

Soccer refs have SFA decisions to make in comparison but still make massive blunders that influence games & don't cop nearly as much shit for it.

I agree that the bunker should rule on try plays only but I think even then, it's too relied upon & the refs are double-guessing what they see. A captains challenge is all we need, only the captain can dispute a decision, 2 incorrect challenges per half permitted.

As for Robinson, his team is the pits & he's blaming officials. The same officials that made mistakes that allowed them to score 2 tries, to get back in the game. He needs to be bagging his players, starting with Mitchell Pearce!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You should be thanking Robinson for bringing it to the front for what everybody is complaining about since round 1

Agree 100%. Robinson should be applauded for harassing the ref in the tunnel after the game...

We need to see more of it to be honest.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Woke up. Roosters fined 40K and Dragons still have the 2 points :lol:
Cheers for the lulz Robbo and the cry baby Roosters fans. All 6 of you...

JJ

Immortal
Benji Marshall admitted last night on 360 that McGregor encourages his players to stay down for a penalty. It takes a special kind of gutlessness to lay down on Anzac day.

40K fine, we'll pay that out of petty cash.

Chook.

Who???

Shame Roosters, shame...

And shame on the NRL for not cleaning up this despicable behaviour

Lambretta

First Grade

It's a very complicated game to officiate, decisions need to be made nearly every second....was the tackle high, did he get off the tackled player quick enough, did he play it with his foot, is the defence back 10, was there a little knock-on at dummy half, are the markers square, did they leave early, was the pass forward from dummy half.....

Agreed

First I'd like to say Robbo was wrong in criticising Cummins

The Roosters have played under him 15 times since Robbo has been a coach and have won 7 including a Grand Final. That was sooky lala rubbish from Robbo and as a supporter of the Roosters and Rugby League I expect better.

Secondly, I don't like the constant bagging of the referees
They're human and they're going to make mistakes - that's part and parcel of the game. Players are going to try and con them to win penalties. They always have done and always will do. Again, I don't have a problem with that.

What I do have a serious problem with is the amount of technology being used to referee the games and the instances where it is being allowed to intervene with the game being played.

Video technology should only be used to ascertain if a try has been scored

Using it once a tackle has been completed to see if a penalty should be awarded in back play just leaves the whole system open to rorting and we see it happen in nearly every game.

If a player is genuinely hurt he must be taken from the field and not allowed back on until they have passed a concussion test. The minimum timeframe for this should be 40 minutes. That way teams will not use it as a free interchange system either.

This isn't a case of sour grapes from me because of this loss, I've been saying it for ages now (a few years) and I said it again the other week after a game between Parramatta and Manly.

The bunker is a great innovation but it should not be replacing on field referees. If we allow it to encroach on the game, this is where we'll end up.

We're rewarding players for diving both for head high shots and for obstruction calls whenever a try is scored. How often do we see players run towards opponents and fall to the ground or throw their arms in the air in case a try is scored as they try and con someone into thinking they've been blocked?

The referees should be allowed to make decisions and get on with the game. Our constant criticism of them has led us to the place where we're starting to question their judgement and rely on video feeds and people watching on TV to make the decisions.

Is that honestly what we want?

Keep the bunker and television replays out of the game. Let the players play and the referees rule on the play in front of them.

The Brain

Juniors
You say this and then go on and have a sooky rant like everyone else.

I aint sooking because the start of the year I said the chooks wouldnt make the eight .Thats not my problem .
My problem is that officials make all these changes and rules and destroy the game. What Robbo has done is really on behalf of all the clubs and us.
refs bunker video refs etc the whole system is rubbish watch any game and see.
Like I said turn the clock back was it like this 20+ years ago.

Soccer refs have SFA decisions to make in comparison but still make massive blunders that influence games & don't cop nearly as much shit for it.

I agree that the bunker should rule on try plays only but I think even then, it's too relied upon & the refs are double-guessing what they see. A captains challenge is all we need, only the captain can dispute a decision, 2 incorrect challenges per half permitted.

As for Robinson, his team is the pits & he's blaming officials. The same officials that made mistakes that allowed them to score 2 tries, to get back in the game. He needs to be bagging his players, starting with Mitchell Pearce!

That might be because they have less technology assisting them in the first place. It's when you get all the technical goodies and still f**k up that gets fans offside and part of that is the massive promise that'll it make the game fairer and better upon its introduction.

BTW Card Shark, I think soccer refs get death threats on a regular basis in countries that take it far too seriously.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...inconsistent-arlc-chairman-john-grant/7361524

NRL bunker too inconsistent to start 2016 season, ARLC chairman John Grant says after Roosters fined
Posted about 3 hours ago

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant

RELATED STORY: Roosters receive breach notices amounting to $40,000 in fines for referee incidents
MAP: Sydney 2000
Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) chairman John Grant has conceded the bunker needs to lift its game as the NRL's central command centre continues to be hit hard by criticism.

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson was scathing in his comments on the bunker in the wake of the controversial Anzac Day loss to St George Illawarra, saying the use of the technology had led to "soft" calls.

The Roosters have been hit with a $40,000 fine after Robinson apparently approached referee Ben Cummins following the defeat to the Dragons and for his post-match comments critical of the match officials and the bunker.

One of the Roosters' main concerns was the inconsistency in the use of the bunker, which Grant admitted was an issue.

"We would expect more consistency of our decision making as distinct from the technology," the ARLC boss said.

"There are some interpretations which are suffering through some lack of consistency at the moment and we acknowledge that amongst ourselves.

"One of the benefits of the bunker is to give transparency to our fans and at the moment we are not doing that.

"We are not in sync where we need to be with the broadcasters."

Grant said he could see where the last-placed Roosters' frustration was coming from.

"They are a successful club, they have successful leaders and they are not used to being in the position they are in," he said.

"So I can understand that frustration. But there are channels to air those frustrations."

So it's taken eight weeks and a Trent Robinson spray to get Grant to come out and admit faults. We'd probably not hear from him yet if it wasn't for said spray.

Leave all your thank you messages to Robbo via Roosters website.

getsmarty

Immortal
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...inconsistent-arlc-chairman-john-grant/7361524

NRL bunker too inconsistent to start 2016 season, ARLC chairman John Grant says after Roosters fined
Posted about 3 hours ago

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant

RELATED STORY: Roosters receive breach notices amounting to $40,000 in fines for referee incidents
MAP: Sydney 2000
Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) chairman John Grant has conceded the bunker needs to lift its game as the NRL's central command centre continues to be hit hard by criticism.

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson was scathing in his comments on the bunker in the wake of the controversial Anzac Day loss to St George Illawarra, saying the use of the technology had led to "soft" calls.

The Roosters have been hit with a $40,000 fine after Robinson apparently approached referee Ben Cummins following the defeat to the Dragons and for his post-match comments critical of the match officials and the bunker.

One of the Roosters' main concerns was the inconsistency in the use of the bunker, which Grant admitted was an issue.

"We would expect more consistency of our decision making as distinct from the technology," the ARLC boss said.

"There are some interpretations which are suffering through some lack of consistency at the moment and we acknowledge that amongst ourselves.

"One of the benefits of the bunker is to give transparency to our fans and at the moment we are not doing that.

"We are not in sync where we need to be with the broadcasters."

Grant said he could see where the last-placed Roosters' frustration was coming from.

"They are a successful club, they have successful leaders and they are not used to being in the position they are in," he said.

"So I can understand that frustration. But there are channels to air those frustrations."

So it's taken eight weeks and a Trent Robinson spray to get Grant to come out and admit faults. We'd probably not hear from him yet if it wasn't for said spray.

Leave all your thank you messages to Robbo via Roosters website.

Yes they are inconsistent...missed the forward pass leading up to the First Roosters try and the knock on in the 2nd.

Roosters supporters can whinge all they want but you had 2 opportunities to win the game...The Lattrell Mitchell overlap where he passed the ball out and Hastings had I think it was 4 on 2 and went on his own and was held up over the try line.

Maybe blame your team for not taking their opportunities. All teams get bad calls. This is a desperate coach trying to take the pressure off his under performing players.

Yes they are inconsistent...missed the forward pass leading up to the First Roosters try and the knock on in the 2nd.

Roosters supporters can whinge all they want but you had 2 opportunities to win the game...The Lattrell Mitchell overlap where he passed the ball out and Hastings had I think it was 4 on 2 and went on his own and was held up over the try line.

Maybe blame your team for not taking their opportunities. All teams get bad calls. This is a desperate coach trying to take the pressure off his under performing players.

We have acknowledged that from the start. We also accept we didn't deserve to win. We don't like the over use of the video ref. That's all. I think we agree?

KiamaSaint

Coach
The Illawarra Mercury - unbiased? OK
We'll wait to see what the Wentworth Courier has to say on the matter

I understand the game is physical yet players who've just been smashed don't get up 3 seconds later and run 50 metres in 5 seconds either

Look players have been copping knocks and getting up for years. Yes sometimes they're sore, but I can point out a thousand times when a player has been smashed and bounced back up before video technology started giving them a reason not to do so.

The players know that any contact, no matter how fleeting will win them a penalty if they stay down. Hell, we see trainers running on when the players are getting up so to tell them to go back down for a penalty.

Players are competitive and will use any edge they can to win a game, fair or otherwise.

If we want to encourage that sort of behaviour as associated football has done by rewarding players for falling over then I will have to stop watching as I have stopped watching football.

Yeh, the Illawarra Mercury gets a regular mention on Media Watch. It's a truth teller of a rag.

Joke lads, gee you guys are tightly wound aren't you.

JJ

Immortal
Problem is the valid point Robinson had (the bunker) is overshadowed by his idiotic rant about Cummins