What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

I just wonder how they are going to afford to attend NRL matches, surely they won’t be charged the same prices as we are here in Aust.
This PNG bid will rely totally on the funding it receives, they certainly won’t make money from club memberships, official NRL merchandise and gate receipts.
The other day I found out Digicel have the PNG broadcast rights for all NRL games. A monthly Digicel subscription costs $78. To put that in perspective, only 15% of Papuans are employed.

Most people won't be able to watch them play on TV.

blue bags

First Grade
Pacific Island countries are our NRL future
The federal government would love it
PNG Frog's
Southern Orcas
Pasifika Grizzlies Bear's 🐻
That's 20 NRL teams

blue bags

First Grade
The riots in PNG and New Caledonia were a deal breaker for me.

Add in the tax breaks and it's a f**ken farce.

So what if I argue in favour of Brisbane 3?

For years we've had know-it-alls and hypocrites from Canberra, Perth and Sydney stating how RL should be run in Brisbane, despite knowing nothing about the local scene. I'm here to tell people what a Brisbane RL fan knows based on 39 years of living in the region and following the local scene.

Unlike everyone else on this thread, I've attended Queensland Cup games featuring the Hunters when they entered the competition. I saw how rowdy their fans can get. Kougari Oval had to employ security from PNG to keep the crowd contained.
Riots in Suva Fiji aswell

docbrown

Coach
The PNG Hunters were supposed to provide an NRL pathway for Papuans?

The Gov's hysteria over China is racist. It reminds me of the racist "yellow peril" drivel the Yanks came out with in the 19th and 20th centuries.
China isn't going to invade Australia. But China has already invaded Bhutan and is colonising it right now, similar to what Russia is doing in Ukraine. Most Australians are unaware of that though. And if China invades Taiwan, they'll definitely take out our US-alligned military targets in an early decapitation strike.

Vlad59

Bench
China isn't going to invade Australia. But China has already invaded Bhutan and is colonising it right now, similar to what Russia is doing in Ukraine. Most Australians are unaware of that though. And if China invades Taiwan, they'll definitely take out our US-alligned military targets in an early decapitation strike.
Donk can’t see past Logan.

Wb1234

Referee
The riots in PNG and New Caledonia were a deal breaker for me.

Add in the tax breaks and it's a f**ken farce.

So what if I argue in favour of Brisbane 3?

For years we've had know-it-alls and hypocrites from Canberra, Perth and Sydney stating how RL should be run in Brisbane, despite knowing nothing about the local scene. I'm here to tell people what a Brisbane RL fan knows based on 39 years of living in the region and following the local scene.

Unlike everyone else on this thread, I've attended Queensland Cup games featuring the Hunters when they entered the competition. I saw how rowdy their fans can get. Kougari Oval had to employ security from PNG to keep the crowd contained.

I just wonder how they are going to afford to attend NRL matches, surely they won’t be charged the same prices as we are here in Aust.
This PNG bid will rely totally on the funding it receives, they certainly won’t make money from club memberships, official NRL merchandise and gate receipts.
Maybe their sponsorship will be large enough that game day revenues won’t matter

clubs are lucky to make 100k profit a game it’s not a huge revenue source

the fact they will receive 19.5 million pa vs a salary cap of 12.5 million (like everyone else) is key

Cronulla for example would make hardly any profits on crowds of 12k

The answer is to invest in our military so we can defend our shores from an invasion. As we speak Poland is investing heavily in its defence force and is becoming one of the stronger countries in Europe.

Wb1234

Referee
The answer is to invest in our military so we can defend our shores from an invasion. As we speak Poland is investing heavily in its defence force and is becoming one of the stronger countries in Europe.

Lmao how can a nation of 25 million fund a military to compete with 1.2 billion and one of the worlds largest economies

we will get squashed like a bug

Lmao how can a nation of 25 million fund a military to compete with 1.2 billion and one of the worlds largest economies

we will get squashed like a bug
Poland is spending more than any other NATO country on its military. It isn't as rich as Australia, although in the future it will be if current trends continue. Poland already has a higher standard of living than every region of England outside of London.

You’re funny. Ignorant. Stupid. But funny.
You're the dumb ignoramus.

The conclusions were grim and led to rapid decisions. Poland was already spending 2.4% of GDP on defense by 2022, ranking third in NATO after the United States and Greece.

The government decided much more was required. In 2023, Poland estimates it will spend more than 4% GDP on defense, which would be the highest proportion in NATO, as well as the highest proportion of the budget spent on equipment (over 50%.)

As Europe’s sixth-largest economy, by far the largest on the Eastern Flank, these figures translate into very substantial increases in personnel and hardware.

Poland is leaping ahead of dumb "progressive" Western countries.