What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
No think of it logically. One requires government intervention for an indefinite amount of time and one doesn’t.
Nz2 was going to be team 18 until the wa govt got involved

pvl said they have been stalking him

then another govt came along and offered more money than they did

The best bids without govt involvement are Brisbane and nz2

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
Wow passionate fans

yeh we should shut them out of our game
I just wonder how they are going to afford to attend NRL matches, surely they won’t be charged the same prices as we are here in Aust.
This PNG bid will rely totally on the funding it receives, they certainly won’t make money from club memberships, official NRL merchandise and gate receipts.

Brian potter

Bench
I just wonder how they are going to afford to attend NRL matches, surely they won’t be charged the same prices as we are here in Aust.
This PNG bid will rely totally on the funding it receives, they certainly won’t make money from club memberships, official NRL merchandise and gate receipts.
Neither will they make much money from any PNG tv deal which begs the question who will pay for all of this when the foreign government handouts dry up?

MugaB

Coach
he's raging against every bid now that isn't Brisbane Easts lol
I've told you guys this for years, he was all good with the png, and just shiting on perth, until the recent news broke put that they were actually getting that proposal of 600 million from the govt, that everyone didn't think was a thing for PNG, (even though it was reported multiple times by multiple sources)...
Sometimes you guys overthink things, grotd has always been there to argue for more Brisbane content, it sickens me that we all need to put every other bid down to promote the one we prefer, we should all be happy for all bids to get up

Wb1234

Referee
Uhh.. NRLWA perhaps???

Anyway, if it's a hookup with Norths (to appease the "Bring Back the Bears" brigade), the initial flush of juniors will be mostly from North Sydney district, and the juniors from WA will increase over time.
Wa govt will too like Victoria

docbrown

Coach
We all know how dangerous the situation is up there and what can happen when the locals get angry.
Almost as bad as when the locals in Logan get angry

jk

Of course not. It's like saying Caribbean baseball teams should make as much revenue as the Yankees. They're worlds apart.

Once the team is stable from the initial government funding, I could see the government funding for the actual team itself be replaced entirely by corporate sponsorship and multinational taxes. There's dozens of multinationals in PNG. $500,000 each is nothing for them really, particularly if they're worried about being replaced by Chinese companies. Those companies want PNG to be stable too.

This is largely an exercise in spreading the game to disadvantaged people. Not a money making exercise.

Vlad59

Bench

jk

Of course not. It's like saying Caribbean baseball teams should make as much revenue as the Yankees. They're worlds apart.

Once the team is stable from the initial government funding, I could see the government funding for the actual team itself be replaced entirely by corporate sponsorship and multinational taxes. There's dozens of multinationals in PNG. $500,000 each is nothing for them really, particularly if they're worried about being replaced by Chinese companies. Those companies want PNG to be stable too.

This is largely an exercise in spreading the game to disadvantaged people. Not a money making exercise.
I agree. The potential is huge unless you are wearing negative blinkers.

Wb1234

Referee

jk

Look who sponsors the national stadium

jk

The PNG Hunters were supposed to provide an NRL pathway for Papuans?

The Gov's hysteria over China is racist. It reminds me of the racist "yellow peril" drivel the Yanks came out with in the 19th and 20th centuries.

MugaB

Coach
Uhh.. NRLWA perhaps???

Anyway, if it's a hookup with Norths (to appease the "Bring Back the Bears" brigade), the initial flush of juniors will be mostly from North Sydney district, and the juniors from WA will increase over time.
That has to ne the plan or its useless

I've told you guys this for years, he was all good with the png, and just shiting on perth, until the recent news broke put that they were actually getting that proposal of 600 million from the govt, that everyone didn't think was a thing for PNG, (even though it was reported multiple times by multiple sources)...
Sometimes you guys overthink things, grotd has always been there to argue for more Brisbane content, it sickens me that we all need to put every other bid down to promote the one we prefer, we should all be happy for all bids to get up
The riots in PNG and New Caledonia were a deal breaker for me.

Add in the tax breaks and it's a f**ken farce.

So what if I argue in favour of Brisbane 3?

For years we've had know-it-alls and hypocrites from Canberra, Perth and Sydney stating how RL should be run in Brisbane, despite knowing nothing about the local scene. I'm here to tell people what a Brisbane RL fan knows based on 39 years of living in the region and following the local scene.

Unlike everyone else on this thread, I've attended Queensland Cup games featuring the Hunters when they entered the competition. I saw how rowdy their fans can get. Kougari Oval had to employ security from PNG to keep the crowd contained.

Last edited:

Latest posts