What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Maximus

Coach
You were wrong before and still wrong now

this is massive for rugby league in the north shore of Sydney plus Perth

this club will be a juggernaut

Oh wow, another juggernaut. Going to be interesting to see how PNG, Bears, NZ2, Dolphins and Penrith all win the premiership every season since at various different times you've claimed they will permanently be the dominant team.

The problem we have currently is that the favourite for team 18 has alot of question marks. I am not writing off PNG. But I am curious to see how a PNG club in the NRL could work, on and off the field.
I just wish Pete would stop attempting to play the international statesman and solving the China in the Pacific problem singlehandedly.
This is the problem with megalomaniacs, Pete`s had a bit of luck with the Everest, Las Vegas thing and getting back first with Covid but in typical meglomaniacal style the dreams just keep on getting bigger.
Don`t get me wrong I`m a big fan, and I suppose this is the price you pay for having this type of character in charge. I fear though that PNG may be his Waterloo.

I don't think you get the joke, I'm not calling you old, I'm likening you to a boring old vagina
This is whole conversation about Perth or PNG being a bad idea is listening to a bunch of dried out vajayjays in a nursing home... Just embrace it we are getting more teams and rugby is dead in Australia!

Colk

First Grade
John Williamson's music is anything but stereotypical country. Songs like "This is Australia Calling", "Raining on the Rock", "Pigs on the River" and "Goondiwindi Pork" are more like contemporary music. Nothing like the stereotypical country sound of Lee Kernaghan or Slim Dusty.

As a kid I loved listening to John Williamson because he sang about the things that make Australia great. The country. The people who made this country. The wildlife. I still love listening to his songs. I first heard him sing at the 1994 NSWRL grand final. I bought his album when I went into the city with my mum in 1995. On there was a song about Alfie Langer playing at Lang Park for Queensland. It's title was "Nobody Knows Brisbane Like Jesus".

I think it's sad that people aren't interested in the culture of their country. I'm not saying people should be blindly patriotic. It's just sad that people know more about a country from the other side of the world.

I like Housos because I can relate with Aussie humour. I don't find Americahumour funny.

Can you honestly say you've ever laughed at a Jerry Seinfeld joke?

Seinfeld is boring as shit.

The only American who makes me laugh is Eddie Murphy. The stuff he did in the 80s was hilarious, but wouldn't be allowed today.

1. Contemporary music? FMD you might have a different definition of contemporary than I do. John Williamson’s music is truly f****** horses***. Stereotypical country or not, he sings with the same nasal f****** twang that all country singers do. It is just absolute s***. The sad thing was hearing him sounding like he was drowning a cat doing Waltzing Matilda or True Blue before every f****** sporting event. Listening to him and liking him is the literal definition of being blindly patriotic, same as an American liking Garth Brooks or some c***. People are interested in the culture of the country but they and I find different outlets for it; they don’t have to listen to John f***** Williamson to do it.

2. Seinfeld is much funnier than Housos personally (it’s a lot more intelligent as well). It probably just doesn’t use profanities as much as you like. I find Larry David to be an absolute genius personally. Eddie Murphy was very funny but so was Dave Chapelle. Anyway I like humour where the protagonist/s aren’t caricatures and have an element of universality. With that you can talk about the imperfections of being human i.e. not punching down because of some rather inane caricature or stereotype of a person or group. The latter isn’t interesting to me but the former is. Housos draw too much on stereotypes to be really clever.

Colk

First Grade
Show more desperation?

I'm probably more passionate and vocal about Brisbane 3 than anyone else on here is about Perth and Christchurch.

Brisbane Tigers have made their case. They're not going to phone V'landys at 3am every night like the nutbag from Perth who sooks to the media about the NRL not being national. They're not parasites like the useless grubby PM from PNG who is demanding the Aussie tax payer fork out $600m over a decade to fund his dream. He's always demanding Australia bail him out when there are deadly riots in the villages. If the PNG PM wants a team he can start by cracking down on the deadly riots that have plagued his country for 50 years. No one will want to live in a country where people turn feral and kill one another over $20 not being put in their bank account.

You’re sitting on a forum mate going boohoo I’m not going to get what I want. You might be more passionate or whatever (a person could argue more biased) but nobody gives a f*** if you are some random on a forum. Go and organise a petition or something if you are that passionate about it.

On the Brisbane Tigers thing (which was what my desperation remark was about) they may be stating their case but they are not stating their case vociferously enough are they? You have kind of made my point in that paragraph - whinging about the Perth guy or the PNG PM getting $600m (figure yet to be verified) - because if that is what you are up against then your precious Tigers and their supporters need to show more urgency and be more like the nutbag from Perth etc. V’Landys seems like he is listening to them more than the Brisbane Tigers atm.

You’re sitting on a forum mate going boohoo I’m not going to get what I want. You might be more passionate or whatever (a person could argue more biased) but nobody gives a f*** if you are some random on a forum. Go and organise a petition or something if you are that passionate about it.

On the Brisbane Tigers thing (which was what my desperation remark was about) they may be stating their case but they are not stating their case vociferously enough are they? You have kind of made my point in that paragraph - whinging about the Perth guy or the PNG PM getting $600m (figure yet to be verified) - because if that is what you are up against then your precious Tigers and their supporters need to show more urgency and be more like the nutbag from Perth etc. V’Landys seems like he is listening to them more than the Brisbane Tigers atm.
If you cannot see how V'landys' alleged plan will harm the game then there's no hope for you.

The only potential winner out of this scenario is Christchurch and WA tourism.

Perth is getting a team it doesn't want. Two of its home games will be played in the most over saturated market on the planet.

It's a terrible outcome for RL fans in Perth. Depending on the club's ownership structure, it could be shipped back to North Sydney in the worse case scenario. If it does happen then the other Sydney clubs won't be able to whinge because their greed will have played a role in allowing it to happen.

PNG is a disaster waiting to happen. A fan or a player could be seriously injured or killed in the worst case scenario. No one will want to play for this club. The funding will be revoked at some stage. When it is the NRL will be left to pick up the tab. The clubs will then whinge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice birthday present to wake up to*, all be it with a wembley sized hang over!
Perth all but confirmed, nz2 all but confirmed, not wasting a license on brisbane. Happy days!

Still got no idea how they will make png work lol I get the sense they will keep brisbane3 as back up for when, if, png falls over.

* noting this is a Sydney journo story with no official quotes in it.

1. Contemporary music? FMD you might have a different definition of contemporary than I do. John Williamson’s music is truly f****** horses***. Stereotypical country or not, he sings with the same nasal f****** twang that all country singers do. It is just absolute s***. The sad thing was hearing him sounding like he was drowning a cat doing Waltzing Matilda or True Blue before every f****** sporting event. Listening to him and liking him is the literal definition of being blindly patriotic, same as an American liking Garth Brooks or some c***. People are interested in the culture of the country but they and I find different outlets for it; they don’t have to listen to John f***** Williamson to do it.

2. Seinfeld is much funnier than Housos personally (it’s a lot more intelligent as well). It probably just doesn’t use profanities as much as you like. I find Larry David to be an absolute genius personally. Eddie Murphy was very funny but so was Dave Chapelle. Anyway I like humour where the protagonist/s aren’t caricatures and have an element of universality. With that you can talk about the imperfections of being human i.e. not punching down because of some rather inane caricature or stereotype of a person or group. The latter isn’t interesting to me but the former is. Housos draw too much on stereotypes to be really clever.
Don't be a snobby tryhard wanker.

I like the sound of John Williamson's music. I like his voice. I like the fact his lyrics are easy to understand. If you don't like it then don't listen to it. I do like it and you're coming across as a wanker for shitting on him just because he's not popular in inner-city suburbs.

Nice birthday present to wake up to*, all be it with a wembley sized hang over!
Perth all but confirmed, nz2 all but confirmed, not wasting a license on brisbane. Happy days!

Still got no idea how they will make png work lol I get the sense they will keep brisbane3 as back up for when, if, png falls over.

* noting this is a Sydney journo story with no official quotes in it.
Don't lie. You're pissed off it won't be the Pirates wearing black, red and gold. You're also pissed it will be playing two games in Sydney. That's if the alleged plan is given the go-ahead.

If it is given the go-ahead then you have no choice but to pretend to like it, because if it isn't embraced by Perth then professional rugby league in the city will be dead and buried.

reanimate

Bench
True but better having them as Bears members than Swans, yeh?
It would have been better if this move to Perth was done when they were originally left out, then you would have had a better chance of emulating the Swans model success. Either that, or have had the North Shore given over to other clubs, so the kids who grew up without the Bears instead grew up to be active, engaged fans of other clubs buying memberships etc.

Either one of those options would have been far better. Option 1 you wouldn’t have had a 20+ year gap in Bears support, you would have kept a base in Sydney that may have shrunk slowly over the years, but wouldn’t have been facing a future collapse like what will happen to their base in Sydney once the Boomers and Gen X are no longer with us in large numbers.

Option 2 you’d have forgone the Boomer and Gen X Bears support you’ll get for a revived Bears now in favour of getting the younger end of Gen Y, Gen Z, Alpha etc supporting another Sydney team. This would have been a much more sustainable model for RL on the North Shore in the long run as it’s a much easier sell to a kid on the North Shore with no connections to the Bears to support another neighbouring Sydney team. Another Sydney NRL team, eg the Roosters, can more easily engage with the area and conduct all the various forms of fan engagement and generally be very visible and present on the North Shore, given their proximity to the area, over trying to tell kids in the area that have no Bears connection that some WA team that’s in town a handful of times a year is their team and they need to go and support them.

Wb1234

Referee
It would have been better if this move to Perth was done when they were originally left out, then you would have had a better chance of emulating the Swans model success. Either that, or have had the North Shore given over to other clubs, so the kids who grew up without the Bears instead grew up to be active, engaged fans of other clubs buying memberships etc.

Either one of those options would have been far better. Option 1 you wouldn’t have had a 20+ year gap in Bears support, you would have kept a base in Sydney that may have shrunk slowly over the years, but wouldn’t have been facing a future collapse like what will happen to their base in Sydney once the Boomers and Gen X are no longer with us in large numbers.

Option 2 you’d have forgone the Boomer and Gen X Bears support you’ll get for a revived Bears now in favour of getting the younger end of Gen Y, Gen Z, Alpha etc supporting another Sydney team. This would have been a much more sustainable model for RL on the North Shore in the long run as it’s a much easier sell to a kid on the North Shore with no connections to the Bears to support another neighbouring Sydney team. Another Sydney NRL team, eg the Roosters, can more easily engage with the area and conduct all the various forms of fan engagement and generally be very visible and present on the North Shore, given their proximity to the area, over trying to tell kids in the area that have no Bears connection that some WA team that’s in town a handful of times a year is their team and they need to go and support them.
The kids who grow up on the north shore will
Play for Perth bears

I cannot imagine the Queenslanders and New South Welshmen living in Perth are interested in supporting a dead Sydney club?

Colk

First Grade
Don't be a snobby tryhard wanker.

I like the sound of John Williamson's music. I like his voice. I like the fact his lyrics are easy to understand. If you don't like it then don't listen to it. I do like it and you're coming across as a wanker for shitting on him just because he's not popular in inner-city suburbs.

Haha is that the best you come up with?

Remember this all started with you saying this kind of stuff

Most Westerners blindly follow American culture. Many of the posters on here quote The Simpsons and Seinfeld because it's all they know.

Most of them are popular not because of their music, but because they're sexualised by the record companies and pushed down the throats of teeny boppers. Taylor Swift cannot sing for shit and her songs are boring, yet the teeny boppers cannot get enough of the drip because the media has shoved her down everyone's throat. There are truly skilled artists from continental Europe that most Australians have never heard of because the media in this country only promotes Yankee shit

Those above posts imply a feeling of I know better than most people (i.e. being a sanctimonious wanker - which you are now calling me because I hurt your precious feelings/don’t like the same things as you). Get over yourself and allow people to follow whatever they want.

Colk

First Grade
If you cannot see how V'landys' alleged plan will harm the game then there's no hope for you.

The only potential winner out of this scenario is Christchurch and WA tourism.

Perth is getting a team it doesn't want. Two of its home games will be played in the most over saturated market on the planet.

It's a terrible outcome for RL fans in Perth. Depending on the club's ownership structure, it could be shipped back to North Sydney in the worse case scenario. If it does happen then the other Sydney clubs won't be able to whinge because their greed will have played a role in allowing it to happen.

PNG is a disaster waiting to happen. A fan or a player could be seriously injured or killed in the worst case scenario. No one will want to play for this club. The funding will be revoked at some stage. When it is the NRL will be left to pick up the tab. The clubs will then whinge.

Perth and NZ getting clubs is a good outcome (on the surface) although it depends on the Bears if the Perth thing works.

The only real negative is PNG over another Brisbane team.

flippikat

Bench
Perth and NZ getting clubs is a good outcome (on the surface) although it depends on the Bears if the Perth thing works.

The only real negative is PNG over another Brisbane team.
Or indeed PNG over NZ 3, or Adelaide, or Brisbane 3, or Central Coast, or somewhere else in Queensland, or hell even Tasmania or Darwin...

Iamback

Coach
It was only three people but they were all of the same notion, I’m sure that the NRL have done their homework, we all know that they are heavily relying on the Govt funding $$$.
Time will tell, as it will with all of these bids.

Most of us don't see it but the NRL want revenue. There is no way PNG comes in over Brisbane if they offer nothing.

Sending the 2 ex Pollies to finalise PNG is smart to ensure the government money is locked in as safe as it can be

Latest posts