What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
As has been said here before, V'Landys has a knack for SPEAKING like a Sydney-centric conservative, yet in his actions he's actually the most progressive & "bigger picture" administrators we've had in a long time.

It's a very shrewd way of operating, and one that so far has managed to keep both the conservatives & the expansionists on-side with him.

He's staging a game in Las Vegas says everything!!

Who is the backer will be another consideration. I agree having an international product will appeal to streaming more than domestic.
It will be interesting to see how much NZ2 is worth to international streaming providers.

I cannot imagine PNG will add any value?

NZ2 will cannibalise the Warriors to some extent.

flippikat

Bench
It will be interesting to see how much NZ2 is worth to international streaming providers.

NZ 2 will cannibalise the Warriors a little, sure - but that can be mitigated a little by making NZ 2 as geographically distant as realistically possible from the Warriors.

In that regard, Christchurch presents itself as a sound choice for NZ 2 - it's one of our 3 biggest cities along with Auckland & Wellington, has an established sporting rivalry with Auckland across many sports, and a new covered stadium being built (perfect playing conditions guaranteed!) that'll be hungry for content.

final say

Juniors
NZ 2 will cannibalise the Warriors a little, sure - but that can be mitigated a little by making NZ 2 as geographically distant as realistically possible from the Warriors.

In that regard, Christchurch presents itself as a sound choice for NZ 2 - it's one of our 3 biggest cities along with Auckland & Wellington, has an established sporting rivalry with Auckland across many sports, and a new covered stadium being built (perfect playing conditions guaranteed!) that'll be hungry for content.
I think a team in Christchurch will take the South Island by storm! Imagine if the pull off some big signings ! There's every chance they will too, you're in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, skiing up the road or take the boat out- it's an easy sell!

Pippen94

First Grade

Biggest sport in Oceania sounds better. Broncos increased membership while dolphins matched previous Brisbane number. Same thing happened when wanderers joined a league with Sydney FC. Derbies can increase business..

South Island is definitely the place for NZ2.

Has Sky been asked how much they will pay for NZ2?

flippikat

Bench
South Island is definitely the place for NZ2.

Has Sky been asked how much they will pay for NZ2?
Good question, and to be honest I have no specific details on that.

I imagine going from 17 to 18 teams (+1 game per weekend) will earn a bit more TV money from Sky - but that 18th team could be from anywhere to get that. As would the jump from 18 to 20.

A new team in Christchurch might not bring new subscribers - especially from Christchurch where there's a huge Crusaders fanbase that already have Sky), but bringing existing subscribers over to watch those games is attractive for advertisers.

The free-to-air situation is interesting over here, and is worth an overview.

Sky have the Pay TV AND the FTA rights in NZ - so they usually simulcast ONE of the Friday night games live on their "Sky Open" FTA channel (usually the early one I think - but this week it's the sole Friday game kicking off at 10pm NZT).. then a Saturday game with kickoff delayed by an hour.

As for the other 2 FTA players - I think neither TV3 (owned by Discovery) & TVNZ (Government owned) have the money or the will to outbid Sky for FTA rights.. and IMO even unlikely to "buy games from Sky".. why?
Well, just need to look at recent developments in the industry.

TV3
A few months ago Discovery made the decision to close TV3's newsroom entirely to save money, as the plummeting economy slams advertising spend.
Their news operation (branded as "Newshub") ended last Friday - Breakfast show, midday news bulletin, Newshub at 6pm (hour-long flagship news), and the late news show all GONE, journalists & crew all let go.

Luckily for some, newspaper conglomerate/website Stuff (formerly the NZ branch of Fairfax newspapers before it got sold to CEO Sinead Boucher for $1 in a "peppercorn sale") stepped in.
Now Stuff are making a bare-bones 6pm news hour (half hour on weekends) under the "Three News" banner using some of the laid-off newshub staff.

TL: DR - if they're axing the NEWSROOM, no way are Discovery opening their wallets for big-money sports rights!

TVNZ (State-owned Enterprise, operates as a Government owned company, advertising and all)
Oh gees... well TVNZ's advertising money is shrinking too.. so THEY have cut back shows too - no midday news, no late news, no "Fair Go" (consumer affairs show), soap-opera Shortland Street being cut back from 5 days to 3 days per week.. and a fair number of redundancies there t'boot.

We have a conservative (National/ACT/NZ First) coalition Government too, and any hint of "unnecessary spending" by Government entities is closely examined & if it doesn't "vibe" with their values - and especially those of their economically dry donors - it's cut before lunchtime.

There's been talk in the past that NZ First may try to introduce anti-syphoning legislation because it plays well into their "make NZ great like it was 50 years ago" ethos, but they've never really pushed the issue - and frankly I think they'd be pushing uphill to get that past their coalition partners.

Our best hope for competition to Sky is a disruptor - likely some online streaming service to outbid Sky to get the rights.. but our TOTAL market here is too small to really make that work with "NZ Only" - just look at Spark Sport.

Maybe the real ideal situation is for a huge online streamer to buy NZ and Australian rights outbidding Sky & Fox, and maybe play a game or two free-to-air through whatever delivery channel.

flippikat

Bench
Now is the time to add NZ2.
Honestly, I'd be inclined to make the following decision in late September:

Perth Bears to debut in 2027

Christchurch to debut in 2028. (whatever bid they choose)

Brisbane Easts-owned team to debut in 2031 (which would have given the Dolphins 8 seasons 2023-2030 to "bed in" their support before another Brisbane team is added)

Don't worry about PNG for the NRL at this stage. Give them a 2nd team playing out of Lae in Queensland Cup for a cross-island rivalry at state-league level.

Pippen94

First Grade
Honestly, I'd be inclined to make the following decision in late September:

Perth Bears to debut in 2027

Christchurch to debut in 2028. (whatever bid they choose)

Brisbane Easts-owned team to debut in 2031 (which would have given the Dolphins 8 seasons 2023-2030 to "bed in" their support before another Brisbane team is added)

Don't worry about PNG for the NRL at this stage. Give them a 2nd team playing out of Lae in Queensland Cup for a cross-island rivalry at state-league level.

Dolphins have been established since 1940's.

MugaB

Coach
In previous editions he said Perth and PNG won't get in.

No, re-read it again... very clearly he doesn't approve of either, but he never says they are not coming in, in fact he thinks that V'landys WILL do it in spite of all the rhetoric he spills about all the obstacles

MugaB

Coach
Nobody knows how things will play out for certain but looking around the world; FTA losing viewers has made the events with most viewers more valuable. Streamers are competitors for pay tv which drive up rights.
Content is King, doesn't exactly matter where, I mean you might get more, in a more favourable area, but you still are making money for content regardless, a win is a win, onto the next licence