What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
Superleague is actually old thinking. Ip is more important than location. Jets brand is stronger than any plastic club can offer

Of course location isn’t important. It just goes against every idea of capitalism, marketing or business.

On that, I wonder if you can name any other sporting competition in the world that choose to put nearly 3/4’s of their competition in two parts of the country or choose to ignore the 4th and 5th biggest areas in their country. I’ll wait for your reply.

Obviously you are baiting and yes that person is very negative but even you can’t believe the s*** you sprout.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’re right pippen Gus is a genius lol

If it's expansion that we need to get a greater footprint, I think we need another team in Brisbane, a team in Perth, which is an ideal sort of timeslot for television and broadcasters as well.
"And if we were going to have another team, I'd have it in Auckland, if we were going to have another team in New Zealand. They'd be the three key areas that I'd be looking at.
"The second New Zealand team needs to be in Auckland, not anywhere else. Auckland is the only place [in NZ] that can sustain another NRL franchise, in my opinion.

MugaB

Coach
Pippen: Gould is a genius and knows everything
me: Gould has stated he wants to see perth in
pippen: yeh but…….
But: old article...
Gould changes teams, affiliations, ideas, like the wind , he says perth in 2019, then says seq in 2023
Since then he was panthers ceo, now bulldogs ceo.

As much as Goulds a great rugby league mind, he changes his stance quite often, he has become more a politian in the game

Oh and he is right most of the time, but to quote him at THAT time when the Arlc were spitballing expansion, gould brought up a 9th game by 2023, that means in 2019 there would've been a push for 2 locations/teams... so realistically covid happened, world changed, people suffered, the game here got smarter with its finances, and threw out what doesn't work, and streamlined costs, now they can budget for every club, and bump up salary caps, squad numbers, and most importantly add another team..

Goulds also right about Auckland being a location for another second team, as long as they are viable the teams are not bound by location, and Auckland has the big city presence just like Brisbane has for a 2nd team... Wellington and Christchurch could to but would struggle to be relevant, as rugby union rules, the nrl aren't willing to fight for fans, they want instant success with the game they play, and want the winning bid to pay their way...
Gould has previously brought up conferences too
It is a mechanism that will generate more interest, thru sheduling and thru finals break up, it will also garner more support in that local area of teams that see each other more often as the conference binds them to play each other more often

Personally i'd rather see a far north qld/png team,
A perth team and another nz team that the 20 club comp, i think we are done in seq... maybe after those three then can go back and add more SEQ or Adelaide or NZ3, hell maybe even a Vic2 if we have the balls to expand to a 24 club competition
And we can given our current trajectory, as long as the funding stays incremental

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Of course location isn’t important. It just goes against every idea of capitalism, marketing or business.

On that, I wonder if you can name any other sporting competition in the world that choose to put nearly 3/4’s of their competition in two parts of the country or choose to ignore the 4th and 5th biggest areas in their country. I’ll wait for your reply.

Obviously you are baiting and yes that person is very negative but even you can’t believe the s*** you sprout.

NFL the world's biggest sporting league has teams in only 22 of 50 states in America. You going to apologize?! Yeah, I don't think so

Pippen94

First Grade
But: old article...
Gould changes teams, affiliations, ideas, like the wind , he says perth in 2019, then says seq in 2023
Since then he was panthers ceo, now bulldogs ceo.

As much as Goulds a great rugby league mind, he changes his stance quite often, he has become more a politian in the game

Oh and he is right most of the time, but to quote him at THAT time when the Arlc were spitballing expansion, gould brought up a 9th game by 2023, that means in 2019 there would've been a push for 2 locations/teams... so realistically covid happened, world changed, people suffered, the game here got smarter with its finances, and threw out what doesn't work, and streamlined costs, now they can budget for every club, and bump up salary caps, squad numbers, and most importantly add another team..

Goulds also right about Auckland being a location for another second team, as long as they are viable the teams are not bound by location, and Auckland has the big city presence just like Brisbane has for a 2nd team... Wellington and Christchurch could to but would struggle to be relevant, as rugby union rules, the nrl aren't willing to fight for fans, they want instant success with the game they play, and want the winning bid to pay their way...
Gould has previously brought up conferences too
It is a mechanism that will generate more interest, thru sheduling and thru finals break up, it will also garner mire support in that local area of teams that see each other more often as the conference binds them to play each other more often

Personally i'd rather see a far north qld/png team,
A perth team and another nz team that the 20 club comp, i think we are done in seq... maybe after those three then can go back and add more SEQ or Adelaide or NZ3, hell maybe even a Vic2 if we have the balls to expand to a 24 club competition
And we can given our current trajectory, as long as the funding stays incremental

Looks like he only supports Brisbane teams now

Pippen94

First Grade
You’re right pippen Gus is a genius lol

If it's expansion that we need to get a greater footprint, I think we need another team in Brisbane, a team in Perth, which is an ideal sort of timeslot for television and broadcasters as well.
"And if we were going to have another team, I'd have it in Auckland, if we were going to have another team in New Zealand. They'd be the three key areas that I'd be looking at.
"The second New Zealand team needs to be in Auckland, not anywhere else. Auckland is the only place [in NZ] that can sustain another NRL franchise, in my opinion.

Ur news feed might not be most currently. This week Gould said no other bid stacks up.

MugaB

Coach
Ur news feed might not be most currently. This week Gould said no other bid stacks up.
There are no offical bids, as the nrl has set out no official tender for bids, its all conjecture,
Bears
Firehawks (albiet the last tender)
PNG
These are the only "bids" that are publicly annouced
But are not yet considered as there is no tender

Pippen94

First Grade
There are no offical bids, as the nrl has set out no official tender for bids, its all conjecture,
Bears
Firehawks (albiet the last tender)
PNG
These are the only "bids" that are publicly annouced
But are not yet considered as there is no tender

Why is everybody trying yo distort what Gus said?? Go back & watch it - very clear

MugaB

Coach
Why is everybody trying yo distort what Gus said?? Go back & watch it - very clear
Im not distorting anything, im telling you whats true there is no public tender at the moment
But there are bids
What gould says is irrelevant as he has not seen any of these bids as they aren't official until there is a tender, he can only guess his views at whats publicly out there, which is bears, firehawks and PNG media press releases

Pippen94

First Grade
Im not distorting anything, im telling you whats true there is no public tender at the moment
But there are bids
What gould says is irrelevant as he has not seen any of these bids as they aren't official until there is a tender

Yeah, unless u have access to Gus's mind don't tell me what he knows & doesn't.

This is what he said "..there's no other area you can nominate to me that would be better than another team in south east Queensland."

MugaB

Coach
Yeah, unless u have access to Gus's mind don't tell me what he knows & doesn't.

This is what he said "..there's no other area you can nominate to me that would be better than another team in south east Queensland."
Ok, but its an opinion his one..... there is no tender for bids, its moot to suggest another seq team if the nrl has not tendered for the 18th licence, and handed out it guidelines, which one of them could be No SEQ this time around, as the last one was ONLY SEQ

Pippen94

First Grade
Ok, but its an opinion his one..... there is no tender for bids, its moot to suggest another seq team if the nrl has not tendered for the 18th licence, and handed out it guidelines, which one of them could be No SEQ this time around, as the last one was ONLY SEQ

What are you doing up at this time anyway?! I woke up an hour ago & can't sleep.

Colk

First Grade
NFL the world's biggest sporting league has teams in only 22 of 50 states in America. You going to apologize?! Yeah, I don't think so

Haha moving the goalposts again. Read back what I wrote - I know comprehension is difficult for you but please try.

I’ll reiterate and frame it really nice and easy for you - do the NFL have two thirds of their competition in two areas? Do they have 9 and 10 sides in LA and New York for instance? What about large cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Phoenix or Houston. Do they go nope not big enough - we’ll stick another team in New York and LA - that’ll fix it.

Essentially no other competition or business would ignore or argue against having representation in two of the biggest markets in their country; even worse when the country is only the size of ours. It makes no sense and you can spin it however you want.

Pippen94

First Grade
Haha moving the goalposts again. Read back what I wrote - I know comprehension is difficult for you but please try.

I’ll reiterate and frame it really nice and easy for you - do the NFL have two thirds of their competition in two areas? Do they have 9 and 10 sides in LA and New York for instance? What about large cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Phoenix or Houston. Do they go nope not big enough - we’ll stick another team in New York and LA - that’ll fix it.

Essentially no other competition or business would ignore or argue against having representation in two of the biggest markets in their country; even worse when the country is only the size of ours. It makes no sense and you can spin it however you want.

Usa isn't split by sport like Australia with afl & NRL..but as you can see most states don't have team. You know where codes are split?! In UK where most teams are in north. Get an atlas learn about world

MugaB

Coach

The US has populations 11 times higher than our competition, they can put clubs wherever they want, we are a very small market in terms of worldview, our 2 biggest cities are Sydney and Melbourne, and both are littered with the same style competition spread, the bulk in each city

Wb1234

Referee

His point was an excellent one

nrl is only missing Adelaide and Perth whilst has nth qld Newcastle Wollongong csnberra and Auckland

Very nfl like

Colk

First Grade
Usa isn't split by sport like Australia with afl & NRL..but as you can see most states don't have team. You know where codes are split?! In UK where most teams are in north. Get an atlas learn about world

Irony 🚨

Again, they put their teams were most of their population resides or where their biggest markets are. Pretty simple economics - you market to the most amount of people you can, not ignore relatively large urban centres.

It’s why they put teams in states with large urban centres like California, Pennsylvania, New York or Florida as opposed to rural states like Wyoming , Rhode Island or Virginia. But thanks for the geography comment. Also sorry your own example doesn’t hold up but you’re the one who used it.

Also your other counterpoint is Rugby League in England which is several times more backwards than the NRL and I wouldn’t call that a successful competition by any stretch. Nor does the fumbleball (sigh again) reference hold up to scrutiny either.

Latest posts