What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
The first Brisbane derby (ignoring the Crushers) would have drawn a sell-out no matter which club got the second Brisbane license.

The crowd last night isn't sustainable either, not in the short-mid term at least. It was pumped up by the novelty effect and the event of the occasion. Give it a few years, and one or both of the sides struggling, and that attendance will start to drop. Don't get me wrong, the derbies will still be the biggest game of each club's season, but it won't sell out (more or less) forever.

It was also extremely convenient that both clubs went into the game unbeaten, but we won't get into that...

I also think that it's more likely than not that adding another club into the mix so soon would probably just water down the secret sauce.

I also found the whole build up and way the game was presented to be very astroturfed, and cringy at times as well. They (the NRL, Nine, Fox, other media) tried to make it out to be something that it's not, at least not yet, instead of just allowing it to grow into whatever it's going turn out to be organically.
Not sure by what you mean organically, there was two teams, who home base is Suncorp, wayne bennet was coach, which kevvie was obviously bronx coach, that was all drama in itself... both teams were currently undefeated, its seems we have some bias in opinion here.. yes it had some controversy, but you replace the firebirds with dolphins and nothing changes here.. media is media, we all watched the game... your just pissing in the wind with that remark

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not sure by what you mean organically, the was two teams, who home base is Suncorp, wayne bennet was coach, which kevvie was obviously bronx coach, that was all drama in itself... both teams were currently undefeated, its seems we have some bias in opinion here.. yes it had some controversy, but you replace the firebirds with dlophins and nothing changes here.. media is media, we all watched the game...
They tried to push the game as some great rivalry, Australia's answer to the Old Firm if you will, when it simply hasn't had the time to develop into said rivalry.

It was contrived, unnecessary, and at times cringy. The fact that they thought it was necessary at all, shows that they don't really understand what makes the great rivalries great in the first place; genuine disdain, or even hatred, for the other party built up through a shared history. None of that was shown last night, it was all false bravado and peacocking for the camera, not that there's anything wrong with that BTW. I wouldn't expect anything less from the first instalment in a new derby.

That crowd, and the undoubtably high ratings, would have showed up no matter what. No manufactured "controversy" or other BS was necessary, and hopefully they learn from that in the future and spare us of it.
your just pissing in the wind with that remark
Nah, you just spent too much time in the special needs class to understand what was being said again, and were too lazy to inquire further before throwing accusations and insults about.

The first Brisbane derby (ignoring the Crushers) would have drawn a sell-out no matter which club got the second Brisbane license.

The crowd last night isn't sustainable either, not in the short-mid term at least. It was pumped up by the novelty effect and the event of the occasion. Give it a few years, and one or both of the sides struggling, and that attendance will start to drop. Don't get me wrong, the derbies will still be the biggest game of each club's season, but it won't sell out (more or less) forever.

It was also extremely convenient that both clubs went into the game unbeaten, but we won't get into that...

I also think that it's more likely than not that adding another club into the mix so soon would probably just water down the secret sauce.

I also found the whole build up and way the game was presented to be very astroturfed, and cringy at times as well. They (the NRL, Nine, Fox, other media) tried to make it out to be something that it's not, at least not yet, instead of just allowing it to grow into whatever it's going turn out to be organically.

That's the Sydney media and Sydney-based ARLC trying to market something to suit their vision because they think everyone is supposed to change for them. It's hard to have any faith in our game when it's run by insular administrators from Sydney who wear their ignorance and delusions of grandeur on their sleeve.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's the Sydney media and Sydney-based ARLC trying to market something to suit their vision because they think everyone is supposed to change for them. It's hard to have any faith in our game when it's run by insular administrators from Sydney who wear their ignorance and delusions of grandeur on their sleeve.
The Courier Mail and other media in Queensland was pushing their fair share of nonsense as well.

Pneuma

First Grade

You really can turn a great day into a thirty day old moulding piece of bread can’t you?

Pneuma

First Grade
Regardless of what anyone’s opinion here is, fans will vote with their wallets and eyeballs. If they’re selling out stadiums and getting large TV ratings, then the belief that the rivalry is real become in fact a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Yep we get great and positive publicity and the club bore turns it all into shite!

MugaB

Coach
Nah, you just spent too much time in the special needs class to understand what was being said again, and were too lazy to inquire further before throwing accusations and insults about.
I understood quite fine, you're just a windbag that has no love for the dolphins whatsoever, all coz of your butthurt prediction that easts fireturds should have been the 17th, then crap on all day long on anything positive that shows RL in good light... are you sure you're not a pom? Would explain quite a bit.. like the incessant whinging posts
Surely can't be blamed on living in Canberra, theres plenty of fans on this forum, i know of that are way more open minded than yourself...

Pneuma

First Grade
I understood quite fine, you're just a windbag that has no love for the dolphins whatsoever, all coz of your butthurt prediction that easts fireturds should have been the 17th, then crap on all day long on anything positive that shows RL in good light... are you sure you're not a pom? Would explain quite a bit.. like the incessant whinging posts
Surely can't be blamed on living in Canberra, theres plenty of fans on this forum, i know of that are way more open minded than yourself...
He almost (almost) makes the Perth whinger seem like a breath of fresh air.

Wb1234

Referee

All you had to post was you were wrong about the dolphins

MugaB

Coach
He almost (almost) makes the Perth whinger seem like a breath of fresh air.
I actually like PR, there is a path to expansion that we both like to post about, just have a difference of opinion on how to get there, plus the shallow plugs for perth are funny.

the other todger nobody likes,

Pneuma

First Grade
I actually like PR, there is a path to expansion that we both like to post about, just have a difference of opinion on how to get there, plus the shallow plugs for perth are funny.

the other todger nobody likes,
Let me guess. It’s PRs endless positivity and the way he talks up the game that makes him so adorable?. Can I assume we can add to that his love of Sydney teams and their stable income streams? And his alignment with GROTD (they agree about everything) enhances his appeal?

MugaB

Coach
It's way to early to suddenly plonk another Brisbane team into the comp is the point @The Great Dane was making, for mine.

It's at least another 5 to 7 years(and realistically 10), to give the Dolphins some breathing room.

Rush it, and we end up diluting the market and becoming the A League.
What!!! Was this like years ago? Or on the last page, coz dane started to rant on hypotheticals regarding mergers and bears, on another thread, whilst pffting on the dolphins vs bronx suncorp 50k crowd saying "that would have happened anyways"
Whos talking about another brisbane team anyways, Pippen has taken a sabatotical, and was probably the only pro jets around here... cairns is next

Wb1234

Referee
Let me guess. It’s PRs endless positivity and the way he talks up the game that makes him so adorable?. Can I assume we can add to that his love of Sydney teams and their stable income streams? And his alignment with GROTD (they agree about everything) enhances his appeal?
Hahhahhaha

that’s a better response than mine