What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Would they? Personally I wouldn't be going to melb in the middle of winter for footy.
More fool you and anybody else that feels that way. Melbourne has had no trouble drawing crowds when they've hosted other major sporting events, and I don't see why Magic would be any different.

Different cities would bring different pros and cons as hosts, and would all attract different audiences. The fact that it'd help expose the sport to new audiences is one of the main reasons it should move around.

Nothing is free, and it's not the NRL's fault that the Qld gov (or NSW for that matter) feels entitled to cheap or free premium RL content.

Qld and NSW can pay what it's worth on the open market if they want to continue hosting it, just like everybody else is expected to do if they want to host RL events.

The event was created because the ARLC f**ked the Queensland Gov over with regards to the NRL GF. Taking it off Queensland would be f**king the state over again.

The last thing the ARLC can afford to do is create bad will with one of the two states that keep rugby league afloat at the professional level.

Currently there's no incentive for those states to invest in better rectangular infrastructure, and the only power the NRL has to change that is if they stop locking them out of sport.

WA Gov has the Glory and Force using Perth Oval. Despite having two tennets wjo use the ground throughout the year, they've never done anything more than build a couple of cheap grandstands on the eastern and southern sections of the ground. The corporate facilities on the western side are decades out of date and the northern section is a hill. Both the western and northern section need to be rebuilt.

Queensland rebuilt Lang Park in 2001-2003 when it had no tennets. It only hosted State of Origin and a few RU Tests. Queensland Reds and Brisbane Broncos played at Ballymore and QEII Stadium before Lang Park was rebuilt.

If WA Gov wants premium Rugby league events to be held in Perth then it will need to invest in a proper stadium.

The only way you'll get that kind of investment in rectangular infrastructure in VIC, WA, SA, even TAS, the NT, even the ACT, is if it's worth their while, and the incentive of permeant tenants and the opportunity to host major events such as Magic, SOO, the GF, All Stars, Nines, etc, is the only way the NRL can go about that.

Melbourne Rectangular Arena was built to accommodate the Storm and Victory. They've never been promised a grand final.

Perth was given the NRL 9s in 2020. It didn't draw a very strong crowd.

The NRL could, and should, negotiate investment into stadia and other infrastructure into their contracts with those states just like they do with Qld and NSW.

The WA Gov has a great chance of securing the 18th NRL licence and other RL events by building a state of the art stadium. If they're unwilling to do that then maybe they don't deserve a team. RL states that have invested millions on building state of the art infrastructure shouldn't be deprives of content just because the lazy SA/WA Govs want to host a few events to generate revenue from tourism. RL won't want to spend big up big to travel to SA/WA to watch events at second rate venues with poor viewing for spectators. Lang Park is ideal for Magic Round because it's the best rugby league stadium in the world. Spectators ar on top of the action. At the Gabba, Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium They're about 30 metres from the field of play.

I absolutely can blame them for that because it's an unbelievably entitled and deluded position to take.

Look at what happened to Bud Light when it insulted its customers?

It put a minority group ahead of its core customer base and ended up losing billions of dollars.

Professional rugby league wouldn't exist in Australia without Queensland and NSW. It's deluded to think you can shit on your customers and not face any blow back.

AwFuL created a shitstorm in 2020 by giving the Fumbleflag to the Gabba. The next year they held it at Perth Stadium to undo the damage.

Magic isn't Qld's, it's the NRL's and RL community's, and nobody ever promised Qld that they could host it on mates rates in perpetuity. NRL shouldn't be humouring these kinds of attitudes in either Qld or NSW, as not only is it bad for business, but it's bad for the game, and so be it if Qld and/or NSW wants to have a sook about it.

The only reason Greenberg created the event was to appease the Queensland Gov after f**king them over with the GF.

Bukowski

Juniors
More fool you and anybody else that feels that way. Melbourne has had no trouble drawing crowds when they've hosted other major sporting events, and I don't see why Magic would be any different.

Different cities would bring different pros and cons as hosts, and would all attract different audiences. The fact that it'd help expose the sport to new audiences is one of the main reasons it should move around.
I've been to melb. I don't think it's foolish to not see it as a good place to visit. Not everyone is a fool just because they see things different to you.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The event was created because the ARLC f**ked the Queensland Gov over with regards to the NRL GF. Taking it off Queensland would be f**king the state over again.

The last thing the ARLC can afford to do is create bad will with one of the two states that keep rugby league afloat at the professional level.

WA Gov has the Glory and Force using Perth Oval. Despite having two tennets wjo use the ground throughout the year, they've never done anything more than build a couple of cheap grandstands on the eastern and southern sections of the ground. The corporate facilities on the western side are decades out of date and the northern section is a hill. Both the western and northern section need to be rebuilt.

Queensland rebuilt Lang Park in 2001-2003 when it had no tennets. It only hosted State of Origin and a few RU Tests. Queensland Reds and Brisbane Broncos played at Ballymore and QEII Stadium before Lang Park was rebuilt.

If WA Gov wants premium Rugby league events to be held in Perth then it will need to invest in a proper stadium.

Melbourne Rectangular Arena was built to accommodate the Storm and Victory. They've never been promised a grand final.

Perth was given the NRL 9s in 2020. It didn't draw a very strong crowd.

The WA Gov has a great chance of securing the 18th NRL licence and other RL events by building a state of the art stadium. If they're unwilling to do that then maybe they don't deserve a team. RL states that have invested millions on building state of the art infrastructure shouldn't be deprives of content just because the lazy SA/WA Govs want to host a few events to generate revenue from tourism. RL won't want to spend big up big to travel to SA/WA to watch events at second rate venues with poor viewing for spectators. Lang Park is ideal for Magic Round because it's the best rugby league stadium in the world. Spectators ar on top of the action. At the Gabba, Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium They're about 30 metres from the field of play.

Look at what happened to Bud Light when it insulted its customers?

It put a minority group ahead of its core customer base and ended up losing billions of dollars.

Professional rugby league wouldn't exist in Australia without Queensland and NSW. It's deluded to think you can shit on your customers and not face any blow back.

AwFuL created a shitstorm in 2020 by giving the Fumbleflag to the Gabba. The next year they held it at Perth Stadium to undo the damage.

The only reason Greenberg created the event was to appease the Queensland Gov after f**king them over with the GF.
I honestly can't be arsed to go through all this waffle except to say;

1. You're the first to complain when Sydneysiders/NSWelshmen hold these sorts of attitudes. In other words you're a being massive hypocrite, if it wasn't clear enough already.

2. RL has customers across the country, Qld, and Brisbane in particular, isn't wanting for yearly premium RL content, and using your standard the trade off of allowing them to monopolise Magic would be the NRL insulting all their customers in the rest of country.

3. You lack any objectivity whatsoever, and are only looking at this from the perspective of what's best for you and your ingroup (i.e. Qlders), and not from the perspective of what is best for the majority of people and/or the NRL and RL as a whole.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've been to melb. I don't think it's foolish to not see it as a good place to visit. Not everyone is a fool just because they see things different to you.
I'm sorry but you're absolutely a fool if you think that Melbourne isn't an attractive tourist destination, or that it wouldn't be capable of hosting an NRL Magic round successfully.

The fact that it has more going for it than merely that 'there're nice beaches here' puts it way ahead of most Australian cities as a tourist location.

Pneuma

First Grade
I'm sorry but you're absolutely a fool if you think that Melbourne isn't an attractive tourist destination, or that it wouldn't be capable of hosting an NRL Magic round successfully.

The fact that it has more going for it than merely that 'there're nice beaches here' puts it way ahead of most Australian cities as a tourist location.
It’s a dump

Pneuma

First Grade
Sharks and Jets have just announced a 3 year extension of their partnership. Not sure what that means for the Perth bid if anything

I honestly can't be arsed to go through all this waffle except to say;

1. You're the first to complain when Sydneysiders/NSWelshmen hold these sorts of attitudes. In other words you're a being massive hypocrite, if it wasn't clear enough already.

2. RL has customers across the country, Qld, and Brisbane in particular, isn't wanting for yearly premium RL content, and using your standard the trade off of allowing them to monopolise Magic would be the NRL insulting all their customers in the rest of country.

3. You lack any objectivity whatsoever, and are only looking at this from the perspective of what's best for you and your ingroup (i.e. Qlders), and not from the perspective of what is best for the majority of people and/or the NRL and RL as a whole.

You need to control your temper tantrums and stop being an obnoxious contrarian. People are allowed to disagree with you. I'm convinced you argue for the sake of it. Earlier you told @Perth Red that Magic Round was the ARLC's response to not giving the GF to Brisbane after the NSW Gov reneged on rebuilding Stadium Australia. Now you're arguing it's about getting as much money as possible. Pick a f**ken position and stick with it. If you want it to be shopped around then say so. Just don't pretend that what you want is a "fact" that everyone has to agree with.

If you're so concerned about expanding into Adelaide and Perth then why don't you offer the Raiders to relocate to one of these cities?

The answer is you're selfish and not objective. You know that ACT isn't a dyed in the wool rugby league region like Queensland and NSW. You also know that Adelaide and Perth offer more to the NRL than Canberra. You also know that the ACT Gov prefers fumbleball to RL and won't build a new stadium for the Raiders.

Don't pretend that you're interested in the game getting as much money as possible from events like Magic Round. If you truly cared about extracting as much money as possible from all avenues then you would advocate for Brisbane 3 getting the 18th licence because Ch9 is on record saying they want another team in the SEQ market. The bulk of the game's revenue is provided by the broadcasters.

Brisbane Tigers will have the best rugby league stadium in the world and generate more revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every club bar the Broncos. The Dolphins have already become a bigger, richer and better supported club than the Raiders, despite you death riding them for years. Just accept that you're wrong and shut the f**k up.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
You need to control your temper tantrums and stop being an obnoxious contrarian. People are allowed to disagree with you. I'm convinced you argue for the sake of it. Earlier you told @Perth Red that Magic Round was the ARLC's response to not giving the GF to Brisbane after the NSW Gov reneged on rebuilding Stadium Australia. Now you're arguing it's about getting as much money as possible. Pick a f**ken position and stick with it. If you want it to be shopped around then say so. Just don't pretend that what you want is a "fact" that everyone has to agree with.

If you're so concerned about expanding into Adelaide and Perth then why don't you offer the Raiders to relocate to one of these cities?

The answer is you're selfish and not objective. You know that ACT isn't a dyed in the wool rugby league region like Queensland and NSW. You also know that Adelaide and Perth offer more to the NRL than Canberra. You also know that the ACT Gov prefers fumbleball to RL and won't build a new stadium for the Raiders.

Don't pretend that you're interested in the game getting as much money as possible from events like Magic Round. If you truly cared about extracting as much money as possible from all avenues then you would advocate for Brisbane 3 getting the 18th licence because Ch9 is on record saying they want another team in the SEQ market. The bulk of the game's revenue is provided by the broadcasters.

Brisbane Tigers will have the best rugby league stadium in the world and generate more revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every club bar the Broncos. The Dolphins have already become a bigger, richer and better supported club than the Raiders, despite you death riding them for years. Just accept that you're wrong and shut the f**k up.

Why do you keep going down this route?

Btw I’m a Raiders fan and it wouldn’t bother me if they had to relocate. Notwithstanding, I don’t understand what that paragraph means. He is not Don Furner or a controlling member of Queanbeyan Rugby League Club who can force them to move so I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make.

Pneuma

First Grade

Potato