What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

mongoose

Coach
Why do you keep going down this route?

Btw I’m a Raiders fan and it wouldn’t bother me if they had to relocate. Notwithstanding, I don’t understand what that paragraph means. He is not Don Furner or a controlling member of Queanbeyan Rugby League Club who can force them to move so I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make.
This is what he does, makes nonsensical stawman arguments.
"You don't want 4 Brisbane teams, but you're a hypocrit for not demanding Sydney teams get culled"
"You want a Perth team but you won't sacrifice the Raiders for relocation"

Pippen94

First Grade

Btw I’m a Raiders fan and it wouldn’t bother me if they had to relocate. Notwithstanding, I don’t understand what that paragraph means. He is not Don Furner or a controlling member of Queanbeyan Rugby League Club who can force them to move so I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make.

What fan wants to see their team relocate?! Ur full of bs

Colk

First Grade
What fan wants to see their team relocate?! Ur full of bs

Well you are the master of assumptions so I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

Also I said I didn’t want my team to relocate but that it wouldn’t bother me too much - particularly if it benefited them in the long run.

Pippen94

First Grade
Well you are the master of assumptions so I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

Also I said I didn’t want my team to relocate but that it wouldn’t bother me too much - particularly if it benefited them in the long run.

Nobody being honest would say that.

I'm calling out his hypocrisy and lunacy on expansion. The bloke has a vendetta against Brisbane and Sydney because both cities are more important to RL than Canberra. He gets really angry and abusive when I and @titoelcolumbiano talk about adding a third team in Brisbane. For years he ranted like a lunatic at anyone who suggested a traditional BRL club enter the NRL as Brisbane's second club. He still rants and raves about Redcliffe getting the 17th licence.

A few weeks ago he went psycho at @Perth Red for pointing out that Adelaide is decades away from having a team. Perth Red is right.

At one stage he wanted Brisbane 2 to be a "neutral" club called the Sawfish. LOL

In this thread he's ranted and raved about the ARLC needing to extract as much money as possible from Magic Round. He attacked Queenslanders in his rant, too. This is the same bloke who has argued for years that expansion should be about growing the game in new markets and not about the wishes of the broadcasters. If the ARLC were to follow his advice then the broadcasters would offer less money for the rights. From that we can say he doesn't give a f**k about extracting the best deal from the broadcast rights. Yey here he is ranting that the sky will cave in if Brisbane continues to host Magic Round under the same deal that was secured in 2019. I fail to see how the amount we make from the Queensland Gov hosting Magic Round is so important when most of the game's revenue is provided by the broadcasters.

He pretends that Brisbane has the same sort of stranglehold on the game as Sydney. Brisbane has been underserved since 1998. This is just the fourth year since 1988 that Brisbane has had more than one club. Ironically, the reason Melbourne Storm are where they are today is because of the void that was created when we lost the Crushers and Chargers in the 90s. It led to RL fans from SEQ who didn't like the Broncos having no one else to support. Melbourne wouldn't be where they are without that support in SEQ. I don't see him or any of the other suspects thanking RL fans in Brisbane for taking a hit 24 years ago to prop up our game's only true expansion side. All I see is bitching and moaning because they think Brisbane should pay the price for Sydney being oversaturated. At one stage he equated a third Brisbane team with Sydney's nine teams.

He once claimed the Cowboys wouldn't generate so much revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality if they didn't have such a great stadium. The club didn't move into the new stadium until 2020. It was making more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than most clubs long before it moved into the new stadium. The reason the Cowboys were kept around in 2000 was because their revenue from corporate hospitality was the third highest in the league. Brad Walter mentioned this on NRL.COM.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Nobody being honest would say that.

I’m not from Canberra and I haven’t been to Canberra for more than a decade so why would the Canberra part be of most importance to me?

Again, you are probably the most presumptuous person on this forum. You are either ignorant or you don’t have the life experience to realise that people’s experiences are different.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I'm calling out his hypocrisy and lunacy on expansion. The bloke has a vendetta against Brisbane and Sydney because both cities are more important to RL than Canberra. He gets really angry and abusive when I and @titoelcolumbiano talk about adding a third team in Brisbane. For years he ranted like a lunatic at anyone who suggested a traditional BRL club enter the NRL as Brisbane's second club. He still rants and raves about Redcliffe getting the 17th licence.

A few weeks ago he went psycho at @Perth Red for pointing out that Adelaide is decades awaybfrom having a team. Perth Red is right.

At one stage he wanted Brisbane 2 to be a "neutral" club called the Sawfish. LOL

In this thread he's ranted and raved about the ARLC needing to extract as much money as possible from Magic Round. He's attacked Queenslanders in the process. This is the same bloke who has argued for years that expansion should be about growing the game in new markets and not bending to the wishes of the broadcasters. If the ARLC were to follow his advice then the broadcasters would offer less money for the rights. From that we can say he doesn't give a f**k about extracting the best deal from the broadcast rights. Yey here he is ranting that the sky will cave in if Brisbane continues to host Magic Round under the same deal that was secured in 2019.

He pretends that Brisbane has the same sort of stranglehold on the game as Sydney. Brisbane has been underserved since 1998. This is just the fourth year since 1988 that Brisbane has had more than one club. Ironically, the reason Melbourne Storm are where they are today is because of the void that was created when we lost the Crushers and Chargers in the 90s. It led to RL fans from SEQ who didn't like the Broncos having no one else to support. Melbourne wouldn't be where they are without that support in SEQ. I don't see him or any of the other suspects thanking RL fans in Brisbane for taking a hit 24 years ago to prop up our game's only true expansion side. All I see is bitching and moaning because they think Brisbane should pay the price for Sydney being oversaturated. At one stage he equated a third Brisbane team with Sydney's nine teams.

He once claimed the Cowboys wouldn't generate so much revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality if they didn't have such a great stadium. The club didn't move into the new stadium until 2020. It was making more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than most clubs long before it moved into the new stadium. The reason the Cowboys were kept around in 2000 was because their revenue from corporate hospitality was the third highest in the league. Brad Walter mentioned this on NRL.COM.

Mate even he was against a third team in Brisbane why do you assume that it is automatically an emotional position?

For example, I’m not against a third Brisbane team per se but I would agree that it is the epitome of short term thinking to do it as the next side.

That’s got nothing to do with whom I support.

Pippen94

First Grade
I’m not from Canberra and I haven’t been to Canberra for more than a decade so why would the Canberra part be of most importance to me?

Again, you are probably the probably presumptuous person on this forum. You are either ignorant or you don’t have the life experience to realise that people’s experiences are different.

I know bs when I read it.

This is what he does, makes nonsensical stawman arguments.
"You don't want 4 Brisbane teams, but you're a hypocrit for not demanding Sydney teams get culled"
"You want a Perth team but you won't sacrifice the Raiders for relocation"

I'm exposing your hypocrisy and entitlement complex.

You're on record saying Brisbane should be confined to having just two clubs because Sydney has nine and none of them will relocate to Adelaide and Perth. In other words, you want Brisbane 3 to miss out so you can have teams in Adelaide and Perth.

You've even told me to "suck it up" for the good of the game. It's easy for you to say that when you're not sacrificing anything, hence the reason I ask you why you're not sacrificing the Raiders to prop up your delusional vision that has Buckley's chance of coming to fruition!

You get very angry when I point out that the Raiders are worthless to the broadcasters and corporate sector because they're from a small regional city. I find this double standard from you hilarious because you're on record saying you won't live in Canberra because it's too cold and boring.

If you're going to live in Brisbane because you think Canberra is the arse end of the country then why do you want it to have a team?

Canberra is not a traditional rugby league city like Brisbane and Sydney. Fumbleball has a bigger profile than rugby league in Canberra, despite not having an AwFuL team.

Canberra not even a major city. It's a regional city with a marginal interest in rugby league.

A third team in Brisbane would generate more money than the Raiders and provide better ratings for our broadcasters, leading to more revenue from broadcast deals.

Why do you think the AFL avoided Canberra?

A-League and NBL aren't interested in Canberra.

Get a f**ken clue and stop contradicting yourself.

Pneuma

First Grade
Mate even he was against a third team in Brisbane why do you assume that it is automatically an emotional position?

For example, I’m not against a third Brisbane team per se but I would agree that it is the epitome of short term thinking to do it as the next side.

You are responding to a potato

@titoelcolumbiano is not against Brisbane having a third team. He spoken at length about Ipswich Jets becoming Brisbane's third team since 2020.

Colk

First Grade
@titoelcolumbiano is not against Brisbane having a third team. He spoken at length about Ipswich Jets becoming Brisbane's third team since 2020.

I’m not against a third team either in about a decade or so. I just want the sport to take a chance on somewhere else first. A balance between expansion and consolidation (if you call it that) seems ok to me.

I’m not against a third team either in about a decade or so. I just want the sport to take a chance on somewhere else first. A balance between expansion and consolidation (if you call it that) seems ok to me.

You said he was against a third Brisbane team. I've read enough of his posts to know he wants a team in Ipswich.

I'm not against a team in Perth, for what it's worth. I'm happy with Perth to get the 18th licence on the provision they put in a superior bid to the Brisbane Tigers. In the long-term I'd like to see the Brisbane Tigers, West Coast Pirates and a second New Zealand team enter the competition. I'm not convinced we'll get a second team from New Zealand because no one has come forward. I cannot see the ARLC taking the progressive route on this subject. If the Brisbane Tigers offer a better business case than West Coast Pirates, which is most certainly going to be the case, then it'll get the 18th licence because the ARLC is risk adverse.

Latest posts