What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Comparing the attributes of Melbourne to Brisbane is brave. Very brave.
Yeah very brave lol!

Brisbane is a muggy shithole with a beige generic coastal culture and nothing particularly unique or interesting about it, where as Melbourne is a modern metropolitan city that wishes it was one of the great European cities in their prime.

As a person who's relatively well travelled and lived overseas for extended periods, all Australian cities are backwaters in the grand scheme of things, and which is the best of the lot is A. subjective in most regards, B. is totally irrelevant from the argument.
All of Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Adelaide, are more or less as capable of hosting Magic Round as any other, and it's in the best interests of the sport that all should be given fair opportunity to do so if they so wish.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You need to control your temper tantrums and stop being an obnoxious contrarian. People are allowed to disagree with you. I'm convinced you argue for the sake of it. Earlier you told @Perth Red that Magic Round was the ARLC's response to not giving the GF to Brisbane after the NSW Gov reneged on rebuilding Stadium Australia.
Yawn. . . Saying that Brisbane shouldn't be given special treatment isn't being 'contrarian', it's being sane and sensible.

Trying to dodge the debate by attempting to discredit me with accusations of chucking 'temper tantrums' when you're the one who chucks a fit whenever they feel their city has been slighted, i.e. every time they don't get everything their way 100% of the time, is the height of projection. I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me either, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I have to respect their opinion, especially if it's only supported by 'muh city is super special and better than all the other cities'.

Any obligations the NRL had to the Qld gov will be over as soon as this contract is up, and I don't know why you think that Magic getting it's start in this country the way it did means that it should always continue under those circumstances. Those negotiations are long in the past, Qld's GF deal would already be over if the NRL hadn't gone back on their commitment, and Magic is now a viable product in it's own right that should be treated as such. Furthermore, nobody is saying that Qld can't host Magic in the future, only that the other cities should be given equal opportunity to bid for it's hosting rights, just like Qld should have been given equal opportunity to bid for the GF's hosting rights in the first place.

Couldn't be bothered reading the rest of your post. You probably just bring up irrelevant whataboutisms and argue from tradition anyway.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why do you keep going down this route?

Btw I’m a Raiders fan and it wouldn’t bother me if they had to relocate. Notwithstanding, I don’t understand what that paragraph means. He is not Don Furner or a controlling member of Queanbeyan Rugby League Club who can force them to move so I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make.
There're circumstances where I'd openly support the Raiders relocating, and some of those circumstances are depressingly close to becoming a reality.

As far as I'm concerned, outside of the Raiders building their own stadium, which seems implausible, relocation would be the only sensible option if Labour were to knockdown Bruce and replaced it with an Oval, and there's a reasonable chance of that happening within the next decade, especially if the AFL show any genuine interest in expanding here.

I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd understand the realities of the situation and the Raiders would go with my blessings.

MugaB

Coach
Sharks and Jets have just announced a 3 year extension of their partnership. Not sure what that means for the Perth bid if anything
Means Perf is getting worried that theres too many blue teams in the NRL, and hoping by aligning with a Red one will get them in....
Personally East tigers in Gold/orange might be a better fit

MugaB

Coach
The Ch Nine owned 6PR have been hyping the double header all week. It's got me wondering if they prefer Perth to be the 18th.
Hahahah ...
channel 9 will say anything just remember what they say a week later... its all publicity

mongoose

Coach
I'm exposing your hypocrisy and entitlement complex.

You're on record saying Brisbane should be confined to having just two clubs because Sydney has nine and none of them will relocate to Adelaide and Perth. In other words, you want Brisbane 3 to miss out so you can have teams in Adelaide and Perth.

You've even told me to "suck it up" for the good of the game. It's easy for you to say that when you're not sacrificing anything, hence the reason I ask you why you're not sacrificing the Raiders to prop up your delusional vision that has Buckley's chance of coming to fruition!

You get very angry when I point out that the Raiders are worthless to the broadcasters and corporate sector because they're from a small regional city. I find this double standard from you hilarious because you're on record saying you won't live in Canberra because it's too cold and boring.

If you're going to live in Brisbane because you think Canberra is the arse end of the country then why do you want it to have a team?

Canberra is not a traditional rugby league city like Brisbane and Sydney. Fumbleball has a bigger profile than rugby league in Canberra, despite not having an AwFuL team.

Canberra not even a major city. It's a regional city with a marginal interest in rugby league.

A third team in Brisbane would generate more money than the Raiders and provide better ratings for our broadcasters, leading to more revenue from broadcast deals.

Why do you think the AFL avoided Canberra?

A-League and NBL aren't interested in Canberra.

Get a f**ken clue and stop contradicting yourself.
I don't get "very angry", I just don't see what club I support has to do with anything? You are trying to invalidate my opinion on expansion because I go for a small market regional team, It's just lazy...

and seriously more anti-canberra nonsense, what has this got to do with anything? Canberra is our national capital and has been in the comp since 1982 lol this is a debate about expansion not rationalizing current existing teams.

I'm not even against another SEQLD/Brisbane team down the track, I just don't think they should be next. The sport needs to grow into new markets.

We can rule out Melbourne hosting Magic Round. The Victorian Gov has piled up more debt than Queensland, NSW and Tas combined.

Adelaide and Perth don't have a world class rectangular stadium. FIFA avoided Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth for good reason at the quarter final stage of the world cup.

I don't get "very angry", I just don't see what club I support has to do with anything? You are trying to invalidate my opinion on expansion because I go for a small market regional team, It's just lazy...

and seriously more anti-canberra nonsense, what has this got to do with anything? Canberra is our national capital and has been in the comp since 1982 lol this is a debate about expansion not rationalizing current existing teams.

I'm not even against another SEQLD/Brisbane team down the track, I just don't think they should be next. The sport needs to grow into new markets.

You get angry when anyone is critical of the Raiders. In 2020 I made a pun about the Raiders "raiding" talent from Queensland. You went off like Bob Katter.

Do you believe the ARLC will put the 18th team anywhere but Brisbane to "grow", or are you just telling me what you want to happen?

You argued against rationalisation of Sydney due to it being improbable. Yet you argue for Adelaide and Perth ahead of Brisbane 3, despite it being highly improbable.

You've been on this board long enough to know the ARLC don't share your progressive opinion on expansion. They're highly conservative and only interested in selecting the most stable bid.

No matter how you try to spin it, the fact remains that the Brisbane Tigers are richer and more stable than any bid that could come out of Adelaide and Perth. No other bid will be able to enter the NRL with a high performance training centre already built and the best rugby league stadium in the world as their home ground. Ch9 have already backed Brisbane 3 for the 18th licence. You're just going to have to accept that you're in the minority on this subject. You're entitled to your opinion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It won’t be brisbane3, put your house on it. Nrl will remember all too clealry how the titans started off like a house on fire and 5 years later were in the shtter.

Theyll want to give dolphins breathing space before introducing another mouth to feed in that city. And thats before we get on to the broncos opinion lol

Pippen94

First Grade
I’m not against a third team either in about a decade or so. I just want the sport to take a chance on somewhere else first. A balance between expansion and consolidation (if you call it that) seems ok to me.

18 team is expansion regardless of location. Ever heard of math?!

mongoose

Coach
It won’t be brisbane3, put your house on it. Nrl will remember all too clealry how the titans started off like a house on fire and 5 years later were in the shtter.

Theyll want to give dolphins breathing space before introducing another mouth to feed in that city. And thats before we get on to the broncos opinion lol
Broncos, Titans and Dolphins will all push back hard if its another Brisbane team. I'll be very surprised if team 18 comes from there....