What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
All Australian cities are very liveable but not that exciting to visit... Sydney offers the most idyllic version of Australia but if you want to live that lifestyle you need to be a multi-millionaire. I guess Perth offers something similar and more affordable but Perth is too sterile, quiet and isolated imo. Brisbane is nothing special but it has great surrounds if you like the outdoors - beach, mountains, waterfalls, rainforest all within an hours drive...

Exactly. The best places to visit in Australia are outside the cities in my opinion.

Canard

Immortal
The NRL aren't choosing a team solely on 'how much money they make from football operations", namely because said money is the clubs and not the NRLs but also because the club grant covers the expense of running a team fully.

It's also rich to "boast" about the Tigers ability to generate revenue from football alone, when they have generated nothing but money from pokies for the last 3 decades.

Also the use of Lang Park, is nothing unique to the Tigers.

Pippen94

First Grade
What’s your point?

Work it out
On the balance of probability there would be lots of locals as well.

Your media statement isn’t evidence that all of it or a significant majority of the people going to the game are from interstate.

The NRL aren't choosing a team solely on 'how much money they make from football operations", namely because said money is the clubs and not the NRLs but also because the club grant covers the expense of running a team fully.

It's also rich to "boast" about the Tigers ability to generate revenue from football alone, when they have generated nothing but money from pokies for the last 3 decades.

..yeah they picking I which team brings more money & that's Brisbane 3

The bolded part of your claim is complete bullshit.

On p27 of the 2020 Gemba report on NRL expansion, commissioned by about a dozen clubs, said the smaller teams require about $23.6m per annum to cover the costs of fielding a team in the NRL. The club grant is no where near $23.6m. Clubs need to generate around $10m of their own revenue to cover the basic costs.

On p28 it says the NRL grant only covered $13.6m.

The grant has increased since then, but not by much. Clubs still need to generate $8m or more from football operations just to compete with the smallest Sydney clubs, such as Wests Tigers, Cronulla Sharks and Canterbury Bulldogs. These clubs make around $10m from football operations most seasons, but some times they fall short and have to rely on a handout from their Leagues Club to cover the shortfall.

A Perth-based team will need to generate $8m+ from football operations because they will not have access to gaming revenue. If they want to be successful like the Storm then they will need to generate significantly more. So yeah, you can bet your arse that the ARLC will want to know how much revenue a Perth-based team will generate from football operations and its owners. The Dolphins were brought in because "the business case stacked up". They provided about $30m+ deposit to ensure the ARLC doesn't have to step in should things go awry. A Perth-based team will not have reserves like this sitting by.

Sigh.

I'm talking about the amount they will generate from football operations when they're admitted into the NRL. The club will generate a good sum from sponsorship and corporate hospitality because they're based in a central location and will play all of their games out of Lang Park.

Sigh.

The corporate facilities at Lang Park shit all over every other stadium in the country. The general admission seats are also the best in the NRL. The advantage of playing out of Lang Park will provide them with more revenue from game day than a team playing out of a suburban dump.

Colk

First Grade
Work it out

..yeah they picking I which team brings more money & that's Brisbane 3

1. Your point about the Vic economy had no relevance to the thread - i.e. remember the topic is about the 18th club. Even then being a bigger economy doesn’t equate to being healthier. Compare Japan with Australia for a case in point. Does Victoria have a healthier economy than Queensland? That’s the real question.

2. You seem way too sure of yourself regarding where the next side is going to be. Your only evidence is an isolated statement from a Nine employee. Now are Channel Nine really that relevant? They are only relevant if they become the primary broadcaster and if the ARLC cede to broadcasters again. This might happen but I can’t say it definitely will happen.

1. Your point about the Vic economy had no relevance to the thread - i.e. remember the topic is about the 18th club. Even then being a bigger economy doesn’t equate to being healthier. Compare Japan with Australia for a case in point. Does Victoria have a healthier economy than Queensland? That’s the real question.

2. You seem way too sure of yourself regarding where the next side is going to be. Your only evidence is an isolated statement from a Nine employee. Now are Channel Nine really that relevant? They are only relevant if they become the primary broadcaster and if the ARLC cede to broadcasters again. This might happen but I can’t say it definitely will happen.

Victoria's debt is higher than that of Queensland, NSW and Tasmania combined.

The WA Gov need to stand up and provide the ARLC with some assurances to give the Pirates a chance. A complete rebuild of the western grandstand is a must so it can generate more revenue from the corporate sector. Stadium rental needs to be low, too. A high performance training centre needs to be built by the WA Gov.

The Titans were f**ked over by high stadium rental fees from Stadiums Queensland and lower than expected revenue from game day. They needed to sell about 18k tickets per game to break even. If the Pirates need to sell that many to break even then they'll fold. Melbourne Storm draw an average of 16k at a world class Melbourne Rectangular Arena with a classy team. Pirates will not be as successful on the field and will be playing at a low end stadium, so the rental fee will need to be low enough for them to break even from selling 12k tickets.

Pippen94

First Grade

Coked, somebody said channel 9 want Perth. There's no indication of that. By contrast, head of wwos said there should be more se qld teams. Just making sure everybody sticks to facts..

Colk

First Grade
Coked, somebody said channel 9 want Perth. There's no indication of that. By contrast, head of wwos said there should be more se qld teams. Just making sure everybody sticks to facts..

Fine but again nobody knows what will happen. You or I could say what should or what you would like to happen but not what will happen.

The only thing I'm confident of saying is Brisbane Tigers and the WA Gov are the favourites because they have shown the most interest in bidding for the 18th licence.

Tigers have the infrastructure and money generating assets needed to be NRL ready and become one of the competition's stronger teams. Their biggest obstacle in is the other three SEQ teams.

Perth still needs to build its infrastructure. It will rely heavily on investment from the business sector and WA Gov.

PNG/Pasifika will be a headache from day one for the NRL.

NZ2 needs to settle on a location and then get the local business sector and government to pitch in.

Pippen94

First Grade
Fine but again nobody knows what will happen. You or I could say what should or what you would like to happen but not what will happen.

Making prediction on what broadcasters are saying or somebody just pulling prediction out of nowhere because they have dots on map fetish..

Making prediction on what broadcasters are saying or somebody just pulling prediction out of nowhere because they have dots on map fetish..

You and I both know that the Brisbane Tigers have the upperhand. The ARLC will want the 18th team to be flush with funds and appeal to the broadcasters. The Tigers are the only potential bid that ticks both boxes.

Contrary to the bullshit pedalled by @mongoose, Abdo and V'landys have said the Brisbane Tigers and Ipswich Jets are a chance of getting the 18th licence.

Colk

First Grade

There is a bit of a difference saying something will happen as opposed to saying this is what I want to happen or maybe they are thinking this way.

There is a bit of a difference saying something will happen as opposed to saying this is what I want to happen or maybe they are thinking this way.

In fairness, there are plenty of people on here only seeing what they want to see and ignoring what they don't want to hear. The people who are saying Brisbane has no chance of getting the 18th licence are ignoring the statements made by V'landys, Abdo and Ch9 management that refute their claim. There will be opposition from the existing SEQ clubs, but that won't mean shit because the power lies in the hands of the broadcasters. The broadcasters don't give a f**k about adding dots on a map to measure dicks with AwFuL.

Colk

First Grade
In fairness, there are plenty of people on here only seeing what they want to see and ignoring what they don't want to hear. The people who are saying Brisbane has no chance of getting the 18th licence are ignoring the statements made by V'landys, Abdo and Ch9 management that refute their claim. There will be opposition from the existing SEQ clubs, but that won't mean shit because the power lies in the hands of the broadcasters. The broadcasters don't give a f**k about adding dots on a map to measure dicks with AwFuL.

True. I am not saying that QLD won’t have the next side because there are a few possibilities.