What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

jim_57

Staff member
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_MRE170_a&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-state-of-play-nrlw-magic-round-expansion-and-pathways/news-story/1c71548e614181b9004d3e60663f670b&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=dynamic-groupa-test-noscore&V21spcbehaviour=append

Expansion related parts:

“The third (big issue) is the 18th team and expansion. I think (Roosters chairman) Nick Politis’ 20 team vision is achievable if done correctly. But you need the participation part flying. “ - V’Landys

NRL EXPANSION
The game’s big ticket item. Already the likes of PNG, Western Australia, Brisbane Easts and New Zealand have been earmarked as the potential 18 teams. There is a push to expand to 20 teams. The NRL needs to develop a clear blueprint on a growing competition, starting with confirming an 18th side by 2026. And let’s not forget North Sydney and Newtown who are eyeing off a chance of aligning with one of the new entities.

CLUB LICENCE AGREEMENT
The clubs are without a licence agreement to compete in next year’s competition. This could become one of the next big issues for the NRL. Although the parties have already a financial deal including the size of the club grant which is usually the biggest sticking point. The clubs are adamant they want a say on any potential expansion and that could yet prove to be the biggest hurdle.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member

V’landys starts at 15:00. Expansion talk starts about 22:30.

He basically says it’s no secret they’re working with the federal government on PNG & the Pacific, says they want to have a fair bit of money invested on getting systems and pathways up to scratch before an NRL team is put there.

Then he quickly says Politis’ 20 team plan is absolutely a chance.

Only a very short amount of time spent on expansion before it’s moved on. Judging by those quotes they are pretty set on doing everything they can to make PNG happen but it may not be team 18 if they want to invest in pathways before the NRL team comes.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
From the quoted article above:

"Although the parties have already a financial deal including the size of the club grant which is usually the biggest sticking point. The clubs are adamant they want a say on any potential expansion and that could yet prove to be the biggest hurdle."

With Politis on board for expansion I think this issue isn't as big as it once was.

Canard

Immortal
V’landys starts at 15:00. Expansion talk starts about 22:30.

He basically says it’s no secret they’re working with the federal government on PNG & the Pacific, says they want to have a fair bit of money invested on getting systems and pathways up to scratch before an NRL team is put there.

Then he quickly says Politis’ 20 team plan is absolutely a chance.

Only a very short amount of time spent on expansion before it’s moved on. Judging by those quotes they are pretty set on doing everything they can to make PNG happen but it may not be team 18 if they want to invest in pathways before the NRL team comes.
Spending money on PNG development and giving it 7 to 10 years, is absolutely the way to go.

Unfortunately there is no votes in such a "silent" strategy, and Albo likely will be out of office.

t-ba

Post Whore
From the quoted article above:

"Although the parties have already a financial deal including the size of the club grant which is usually the biggest sticking point. The clubs are adamant they want a say on any potential expansion and that could yet prove to be the biggest hurdle."

With Politis on board for expansion I think this issue isn't as big as it once was.

Politis has seemed pretty pro expansion historically if memory serves? I remember in 2001 him pushing for the CC Bears to be a 16th side when the JV collapsed.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Spending money on PNG development and giving it 7 to 10 years, is absolutely the way to go.

Unfortunately there is no votes in such a "silent" strategy, and Albo likely will be out of office.
I don`t think it will really matter who`s in office in 10 years time, at least in Australia.

jim_57

Staff member

Absolutely should be the way to go. Look at PNG for team 19-20 or even 21-22 once that investment has produced some results. Gives NRL & PNG more time to sort through the various other issues besides funding and the NRL can go ahead and look at Perth/NZ2/Brisbane3 for team 18.

Unfortunately as you say that doesn’t give the “headline moment” for the Government any time soon.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Win win for nrl though. Feds pay for j r development now, if money is still there in few years then team comes into nrl, if it isnt there are more nrl ready players developed from png for other clubs Anyways,

Canard

Immortal
A media analyst position on PNG means less then dogshit on my shoe.

That's one team that will offer ZERO to any TV deal and broadcast partners.

MugaB

Coach
A media analyst position on PNG means less then dogshit on my shoe.

That's one team that will offer ZERO to any TV deal and broadcast partners.
It will flood the player pool with talent, might not Cameron Munster or Nathan Cleary elite style talent, but it will ensure that we can expand the comp to 20 teams with 3 extra teams able to source players from that region aswell as the current player pool, your right about offering nothing to the broadcaster, but theyll be selling the 9th and 10th games of content to sell, cant sell it if there isnt enough players to fill 3 extra teams with

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't see how PNG automatically go from providing 2 or 3 first graders to flooding the market once they get a team in.
If a flood does come, and I have huge doubts, it will be decades or a century from now.

Wb1234

Immortal
It will flood the player pool with talent, might not Cameron Munster or Nathan Cleary elite style talent, but it will ensure that we can expand the comp to 20 teams with 3 extra teams able to source players from that region aswell as the current player pool, your right about offering nothing to the broadcaster, but theyll be selling the 9th and 10th games of content to sell, cant sell it if there isnt enough players to fill 3 extra teams with
Within ten to fifteen years of a nrl team I would predict between 20 and 30 percent of nrl players would come from png

it’s good to hear vlandys again affirming png as the next team as well

Latest posts