What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
I don't see how PNG automatically go from providing 2 or 3 first graders to flooding the market once they get a team in.
If a flood does come, and I have huge doubts, it will be decades or a century from now.
It wont, but it will give enough that we can go to another area and expand again...
If we for instance started in WA, as the 18th licence, we wont create any players straight away, if anything we lose more from every squad just to roll out the 30 man squad, if we go to NZ and PNG those areas create players straight away, not to say theyll be a whole squad from them but a good chance theyll be enough within a season or 2, you wont have to wait to get the 15 yrs olds in WA to become 1st graders from a NRL led coaches, which might take upto 5 years before seeing a competitive local WA juniors come thru..

Centy Coast

Juniors
It wont, but it will give enough that we can go to another area and expand again...
If we for instance started in WA, as the 18th licence, we wont create any players straight away, if anything we lose more from every squad just to roll out the 30 man squad, if we go to NZ and PNG those areas create players straight away, not to say theyll be a whole squad from them but a good chance theyll be enough within a season or 2, you wont have to wait to get the 15 yrs olds in WA to become 1st graders from a NRL led coaches, which might take upto 5 years before seeing a competitive local WA juniors come thru..
I feel PNG will take a lot longer than people realise, sure there is the potential there but you would also have to change the culture.
The Hunters are mid Q Cup level but I believe it would take years for PNG players to adopt the professionalism needed to become NRL players.

Canard

Immortal
After 10 years of QCup competition, the Hunters have produced 1 quality NRL player.

I still haven't had anyone explain to me why the presence of a NRL team in Cairns, will suddenly flood the competition with enough players to fill 3 NRL teams (90 players)?

And even if it can, why not source those players from PNG now without spending $30M a year on an NRL team?

Centy Coast

Juniors
The Bears claimed the 2023 NSW Cup Minor Premiership on the weekend with two rounds still remaining.
After spending just over a week in WA and arriving home yesterday I really hope the Bears and WA officials can sit down and work things out.
I spoke to alot of locals at the NRL double header and a local league game and all were very pro Bears but with varying opinions about the set up which surprised me.

DE2F5546-F44D-4137-B1F4-35ADE9ADC97C.jpeg

Wb1234

Referee
Which is why it’s smarter adding png and nz2 before Perth

Wb1234

Referee
The Bears claimed the 2023 NSW Cup Minor Premiership on the weekend with two rounds still remaining.
After spending just over a week in WA and arriving home yesterday I really hope the Bears and WA officials can sit down and work things out.
I spoke to alot of locals at the NRL double header and a local league game and all were very pro Bears but with varying opinions about the set up which surprised me.

View attachment 78088
They weren’t all like Perth red I’m guessing?

Centy Coast

Juniors
They weren’t all like Perth red I’m guessing?

Nice people, great place, caught up with a few NRL players my sons played juniors against, they really enjoyed the anonymity of WA.
A WA team is really going to need a strong feeder club arrangement when/if they enter the NRL competition.
I went to a local 1st grade game over here between top of the table teams Fremantle (1st) and South Perth (2nd), the standard was mid Central Coast reserve grade, with no intensity or big hits at all.

I feel PNG will take a lot longer than people realise, sure there is the potential there but you would also have to change the culture.
The Hunters are mid Q Cup level but I believe it would take years for PNG players to adopt the professionalism needed to become NRL players.

I think nutrition is a huge factor. The majority of Papuans are malnourished from the day they were conceived. It stunts their growth. The average height of Papuans is a out 5'2". The few players who've progressed to the NRL over the last 30 years are about 5'10". Only a tiny percentage of Papuans would be 5'10" or higher. In Australia only one in six men are 6'0" or taller.

I'm afraid PNG will be to rugby league what Philippines are to basketball. Countries that love rugby league and basketball, but don't have the height to compete with bigger players from overseas.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Normally I`d agree with you, but from what I`ve read and heard from Colin Smith over the years, I`d say it`d definitely be worth listening to his opinion.
It could just be the way people ask him questions, but he always seems too focused on the next broadcast deal and not the broader picture.

His attitude seems to be to prioritise things that will maximise the value of the next broadcast deal with little concern for what will happen further down the track, and that's not a great way to go about business. It's short term, boom-bust, sugar rush thinking, instead of long term strategic planning.

MugaB

Coach
I think nutrition is a huge factor. The majority of Papuans are malnourished from the day they were conceived. It stunts their growth. The average height of Papuans is a out 5'2". The few players who've progressed to the NRL over the last 30 years are about 5'10". Only a tiny percentage of Papuans would be 5'10" or higher. In Australia only one in six men are 6'0" or taller.

I'm afraid PNG will be to rugby league what Philippines are to basketball. Countries that love rugby league and basketball, but don't have the height to compete with bigger players from overseas.
FMD... so yeah all 17 million population of their country is unable to compete, yet they play qcup on a regular basis, which is at a higher level and more competitive than what a logan team and perth team, ever play at

Btw height means shit in rugby league, Brian To'o and Tito Turuva are living proof of that

Wb1234

Referee
FMD... so yeah all 17 million population of their country is unable to compete, yet they play qcup on a regular basis, which is at a higher level and more competitive than what a logan team and perth team, ever play at

Btw height means shit in rugby league, Brian To'o and Tito Turuva are living proof of that
Team of png pygmies defeated gb in a recent rest series

PNG Hunters rely on government assistance to compete in the Queensland Cup.

The Port Moresby Vipers only lasted two seasons in the 1990s before having to pull out due to financial hardship.

A better comparison is between talent production. PNG has never produced as much talent as Logan.

Which southeast city can boast a league line-up that would challenge any State of Origin side?

PUNDITS are puzzling over “the best” Maroons team of all time. Here’s a line-up that would challenge the best of them — and all players are from the same city. So which city claims some of the game’s greatest?

Andrew Dawson
3 min read
May 26, 2016 - 9:34AM
Albert & Logan News

Queensland’s most capped State of Origin referee David Manson has poured over four decades of talent to name his Logan City rugby league dream team.
Mr Manson, who officiated in 10 Origins between 1989 and 1997, has pulled together an astonishing galaxy of footballing stars worthy of competing in any era.

At a time when State of Origin fever starts to take hold ahead of the 2016 series opener in Sydney next Wednesday (June 1), Mr Manson has named his own Queensland line-up - composed entirely of players whose origins hark back to Logan City.

And those that are aware of Logan City’s reputation as a rugby league nursery won’t be surprised to see the line-up includes nine past and present Maroons stars.

Included in Manson’s are current Queensland players Cameron Smith, Josh Papalii and Corey Parker, while the former Origin players Israel Folau and Lote Tuqiri, brothers Darren and Jason Smith, Gavin Jones and Tonie Carroll also get the nod.

Carroll is a Beenleigh State High School student while the Smith brothers and Jones started their rugby league careers with the now defunct Souths Woodridge.

The Logan Dream Team line-up is:

– Fullback: William Zillman (Rochedale Brothers)

– Winger: Israel Folau: (Marsden High)

– Centre: Junior Sa’u: (Logan Brothers)

– Centre: Darren Smith: (Souths Woodridge)

– Wing: Lote Tuqiri (Logan Brothers)

– Five-eight: Corey Norman (Marsden High)

– Halfback: Chris Sandow (Marsden High)

– Lock: Jason Smith (Souths Woodridge)

– Second row: Tonie Carroll (Waterford)

– Second row: Corey Parker (Logan Brothers)

– Prop: Josh Papalii (Logan Brothers)

– Hooker: Cameron Smith (c) (Logan Brothers)

– Prop: Gavin Jones (Souths Woodridge)

“The quality of player this area has produced is amazing,’’ Manson said. “It has always been a nursery.

“I remember when I was a young referee, the quality of football player in this area was second to none.’’

Six former Logan Brothers Junior Rugby League Club players feature in Manson’s “dream team”, an honour current club president Matt Mead is happy to agree with - with one exception.

“However, Brad Meyers would have been in with Gavin Jones to be omitted due to the fact Meyers is a Test player,” Mead said.

“This Logan City Dream Team – if all played in the same era – would be unstoppable in the NRL, boasting nine State of Origin reps, and nine Test players with Corey Norman destined to pull on the Maroons jersey.

“In my opinion the Logan district is the richest rugby league nursery in the entire country.”

One of the lynchpins of the forward pack, Queensland and Australian representative player and Broncos captain, Corey Parker echoed Mead’s sentiments.

“There’s a few that aren’t there either - no Brad Meyers, no Tookey, no Winterstein,” Parker said.

“That’s not a bad side, is it?

“Who knows (if it would go close to the grand final) but you’ve got Jason Smith and Darren Smith ... I guess it reinforces the talent that comes out of Logan. It’s great.”

Maroons halfback Cooper Cronk knows the talent of three players in the side almost better than anyone.

The playmaker has run out behind Smith week-in, week-out with Melbourne Storm for the past decade. The 32-year-old also kicked to Folau’s corner several times a game while Folau played for the Storm in 2007 and 2008, and has lined up alongside Parker in more than 10 origin clashes.

“There’s no doubt my allegiance is with Cameron there. I’ve played the majority of my football with him, both Melbourne Storm, Queensland and Australia and he’s a very influential figure on and off the field and he’s definitely made the games of football I’ve played with him a lot easier,” Cronk said.

“He’s a special player and he deserves all the accolades that are going to come his way in the next week or so (when he surpasses Darren Lockyer’s record of 36 State of Origin appearances).

“He’s doing something that no one else has done before and he deserves it because he’s reliable, he always turns up, gets his job done, and the thing with Cameron is he makes the job of everyone else around him a lot easier because he’s very good at his job and influences the game from dummy half.”

Brian To'o is 182cm. That's 5'11" and above the height of the average Australian man. Anyone who considers 5'11" to be short is dumb.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Absolutely should be the way to go. Look at PNG for team 19-20 or even 21-22 once that investment has produced some results. Gives NRL & PNG more time to sort through the various other issues besides funding and the NRL can go ahead and look at Perth/NZ2/Brisbane3 for team 18.

Unfortunately as you say that doesn’t give the “headline moment” for the Government any time soon.

I honestly think It'll be Perth as team 18, NZ 2 and Brisbane 3 as 19 & 20 (in whichever order).. and PNG if it's ever going to happen would be jostling with the likes of Adelaide, NZ 3, Central Qld for teams 21 & 22.

jim_57

Staff member
I honestly think It'll be Perth as team 18, NZ 2 and Brisbane 3 as 19 & 20 (in whichever order).. and PNG if it's ever going to happen would be jostling with the likes of Adelaide, NZ 3, Central Qld for teams 21 & 22.

In the interview V’landys does say they want pathways & systems in place before an NRL team in PNG. Interpret the interview how you will but it wouldn’t surprise me if PNG is “promised” a team but not until certain criteria is met. Meanwhile while those things are funded and put in place team 18 is added in Perth, Christchurch, Wellington or Brisbane/Ipswich.

If in the meantime the PNG project doesn’t go as planned or the government chops funding then it gets shelved.

MugaB

Coach

The Port Moresby Vipers only lasted two seasons in the 1990s before having to pull out due to financial hardship.

A better comparison is between talent production. PNG has never produced as much talent as Logan.

Which southeast city can boast a league line-up that would challenge any State of Origin side?
PUNDITS are puzzling over “the best” Maroons team of all time. Here’s a line-up that would challenge the best of them — and all players are from the same city. So which city claims some of the game’s greatest?​
Andrew Dawson
3 min read
Albert & Logan News
Queensland’s most capped State of Origin referee David Manson has poured over four decades of talent to name his Logan City rugby league dream team.​
Mr Manson, who officiated in 10 Origins between 1989 and 1997, has pulled together an astonishing galaxy of footballing stars worthy of competing in any era.​
At a time when State of Origin fever starts to take hold ahead of the 2016 series opener in Sydney next Wednesday (June 1), Mr Manson has named his own Queensland line-up - composed entirely of players whose origins hark back to Logan City.​
And those that are aware of Logan City’s reputation as a rugby league nursery won’t be surprised to see the line-up includes nine past and present Maroons stars.​
Included in Manson’s are current Queensland players Cameron Smith, Josh Papalii and Corey Parker, while the former Origin players Israel Folau and Lote Tuqiri, brothers Darren and Jason Smith, Gavin Jones and Tonie Carroll also get the nod.​
Carroll is a Beenleigh State High School student while the Smith brothers and Jones started their rugby league careers with the now defunct Souths Woodridge.​
The Logan Dream Team line-up is:​
– Fullback: William Zillman (Rochedale Brothers)​
– Winger: Israel Folau: (Marsden High)​
– Centre: Junior Sa’u: (Logan Brothers)​
– Centre: Darren Smith: (Souths Woodridge)​
– Wing: Lote Tuqiri (Logan Brothers)​
– Five-eight: Corey Norman (Marsden High)​
– Halfback: Chris Sandow (Marsden High)​
– Lock: Jason Smith (Souths Woodridge)​
– Second row: Tonie Carroll (Waterford)​
– Second row: Corey Parker (Logan Brothers)​
– Prop: Josh Papalii (Logan Brothers)​
– Hooker: Cameron Smith (c) (Logan Brothers)​
– Prop: Gavin Jones (Souths Woodridge)​
“The quality of player this area has produced is amazing,’’ Manson said. “It has always been a nursery.​
“I remember when I was a young referee, the quality of football player in this area was second to none.’’​
Six former Logan Brothers Junior Rugby League Club players feature in Manson’s “dream team”, an honour current club president Matt Mead is happy to agree with - with one exception.​
“However, Brad Meyers would have been in with Gavin Jones to be omitted due to the fact Meyers is a Test player,” Mead said.​
“This Logan City Dream Team – if all played in the same era – would be unstoppable in the NRL, boasting nine State of Origin reps, and nine Test players with Corey Norman destined to pull on the Maroons jersey.​
“In my opinion the Logan district is the richest rugby league nursery in the entire country.”​
One of the lynchpins of the forward pack, Queensland and Australian representative player and Broncos captain, Corey Parker echoed Mead’s sentiments.​
“There’s a few that aren’t there either - no Brad Meyers, no Tookey, no Winterstein,” Parker said.​
“That’s not a bad side, is it?​
“Who knows (if it would go close to the grand final) but you’ve got Jason Smith and Darren Smith ... I guess it reinforces the talent that comes out of Logan. It’s great.”​
Maroons halfback Cooper Cronk knows the talent of three players in the side almost better than anyone.​
The playmaker has run out behind Smith week-in, week-out with Melbourne Storm for the past decade. The 32-year-old also kicked to Folau’s corner several times a game while Folau played for the Storm in 2007 and 2008, and has lined up alongside Parker in more than 10 origin clashes.​
“There’s no doubt my allegiance is with Cameron there. I’ve played the majority of my football with him, both Melbourne Storm, Queensland and Australia and he’s a very influential figure on and off the field and he’s definitely made the games of football I’ve played with him a lot easier,” Cronk said.​
“He’s a special player and he deserves all the accolades that are going to come his way in the next week or so (when he surpasses Darren Lockyer’s record of 36 State of Origin appearances).​
“He’s doing something that no one else has done before and he deserves it because he’s reliable, he always turns up, gets his job done, and the thing with Cameron is he makes the job of everyone else around him a lot easier because he’s very good at his job and influences the game from dummy half.”​

Brian To'o is 182cm. That's 5'11" and above the height of the average Australian man. Anyone who considers 5'11" to be short is dumb.
Wow the Logan dream team huh? Sounds like the St.george Dragons team of 55, that never were...
You know most of those are all retired, and are of different ages, and could never be able to play alongside each other.. we could put out a team of the century for Western Australia, and it wouldn't make it any more worthy than this list to be given a first grade licence
And Brian To'o & Suvia Turva are among the shortest wingers in the comp, and are punching above their weight, or moreso height... height means shit in RL, izack Tago is the same height and playing centre next to them. Again it doesn't matter
They are also in the team leading the comp if you haven't noticed

FB_IMG_1692096259197.jpg

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Wow the Logan dream team huh? Sounds like the St.george Dragons team of 55, that never were...
You know most of those are all retired, and are of different ages, and could never be able to play alongside each other.. we could put out a team of the century for Western Australia, and it wouldn't make it any more worthy than this list to be given a first grade licence
And Brian To'o & Suvia Turva are among the shortest wingers in the comp, and are punching above their weight, or moreso height... height means shit in RL, izack Tago is the same height and playing centre next to them. Again it doesn't matter
They are also in the team leading the comp if you haven't noticed

View attachment 78113
Allan langer

Pippen94

First Grade
A media analyst position on PNG means less then dogshit on my shoe.

That's one team that will offer ZERO to any TV deal and broadcast partners.

PUNDITS are puzzling over “the best” Maroons team of all time. Here’s a line-up that would challenge the best of them — and all players are from the same city. So which city claims some of the game’s greatest?​
Andrew Dawson
3 min read
Albert & Logan News
Queensland’s most capped State of Origin referee David Manson has poured over four decades of talent to name his Logan City rugby league dream team.​
Mr Manson, who officiated in 10 Origins between 1989 and 1997, has pulled together an astonishing galaxy of footballing stars worthy of competing in any era.​
At a time when State of Origin fever starts to take hold ahead of the 2016 series opener in Sydney next Wednesday (June 1), Mr Manson has named his own Queensland line-up - composed entirely of players whose origins hark back to Logan City.​
And those that are aware of Logan City’s reputation as a rugby league nursery won’t be surprised to see the line-up includes nine past and present Maroons stars.​
Included in Manson’s are current Queensland players Cameron Smith, Josh Papalii and Corey Parker, while the former Origin players Israel Folau and Lote Tuqiri, brothers Darren and Jason Smith, Gavin Jones and Tonie Carroll also get the nod.​
Carroll is a Beenleigh State High School student while the Smith brothers and Jones started their rugby league careers with the now defunct Souths Woodridge.​
The Logan Dream Team line-up is:​
– Fullback: William Zillman (Rochedale Brothers)​
– Winger: Israel Folau: (Marsden High)​
– Centre: Junior Sa’u: (Logan Brothers)​
– Centre: Darren Smith: (Souths Woodridge)​
– Wing: Lote Tuqiri (Logan Brothers)​
– Five-eight: Corey Norman (Marsden High)​
– Halfback: Chris Sandow (Marsden High)​
– Lock: Jason Smith (Souths Woodridge)​
– Second row: Tonie Carroll (Waterford)​
– Second row: Corey Parker (Logan Brothers)​
– Prop: Josh Papalii (Logan Brothers)​
– Hooker: Cameron Smith (c) (Logan Brothers)​
– Prop: Gavin Jones (Souths Woodridge)​
“The quality of player this area has produced is amazing,’’ Manson said. “It has always been a nursery.​
“I remember when I was a young referee, the quality of football player in this area was second to none.’’​
Six former Logan Brothers Junior Rugby League Club players feature in Manson’s “dream team”, an honour current club president Matt Mead is happy to agree with - with one exception.​
“However, Brad Meyers would have been in with Gavin Jones to be omitted due to the fact Meyers is a Test player,” Mead said.​
“This Logan City Dream Team – if all played in the same era – would be unstoppable in the NRL, boasting nine State of Origin reps, and nine Test players with Corey Norman destined to pull on the Maroons jersey.​
“In my opinion the Logan district is the richest rugby league nursery in the entire country.”​
One of the lynchpins of the forward pack, Queensland and Australian representative player and Broncos captain, Corey Parker echoed Mead’s sentiments.​
“There’s a few that aren’t there either - no Brad Meyers, no Tookey, no Winterstein,” Parker said.​
“That’s not a bad side, is it?​
“Who knows (if it would go close to the grand final) but you’ve got Jason Smith and Darren Smith ... I guess it reinforces the talent that comes out of Logan. It’s great.”​
Maroons halfback Cooper Cronk knows the talent of three players in the side almost better than anyone.​
The playmaker has run out behind Smith week-in, week-out with Melbourne Storm for the past decade. The 32-year-old also kicked to Folau’s corner several times a game while Folau played for the Storm in 2007 and 2008, and has lined up alongside Parker in more than 10 origin clashes.​
“There’s no doubt my allegiance is with Cameron there. I’ve played the majority of my football with him, both Melbourne Storm, Queensland and Australia and he’s a very influential figure on and off the field and he’s definitely made the games of football I’ve played with him a lot easier,” Cronk said.​
“He’s a special player and he deserves all the accolades that are going to come his way in the next week or so (when he surpasses Darren Lockyer’s record of 36 State of Origin appearances).​
“He’s doing something that no one else has done before and he deserves it because he’s reliable, he always turns up, gets his job done, and the thing with Cameron is he makes the job of everyone else around him a lot easier because he’s very good at his job and influences the game from dummy half.”​

Logan team is awesome

Latest posts