What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Brian potter

Bench
Today I ventured to HBF Park, the proposed home ground of the Perth Bears, West Coast Pirates, Perth Jets or whatever WA bid is successful.
It has only a very small capacity of 20,500, it is a nice looking Stadium and dare I say it has a very North Sydney Oval feel to it as it is surrounded by many, many Fig trees.
It’s a perfect base for the Perth team in its early years which hopefully could be upgraded and expanded to 25k and in an ideal world would see the Perth team take 2-3 high drawing home games to Optus stadium like a season opener and games against the broncos and souths.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
If the competition expands to 20 teams then you can bet that the 3 available licences will go to Brisbane, New Zealand and Perth. All that is to be decided is what order they enter.
Add those teams and the NRL truly lives upto to its name in becoming a national competition.
I`d go as far as saying that if Perth get a team, and player numbers aren`t a problem and they become a powerhouse of the comp, there`ll be a push out of Adelaide to have their own team again. It makes sense, if Perth could do it, one team city , so will Adelaide.

I`d go as far as saying that if Perth get a team, and player numbers aren`t a problem and they become a powerhouse of the comp, there`ll be a push out of Adelaide to have their own team again. It makes sense, if Perth could do it, one team city , so will Adelaide.

The rugby league community in Adelaide is tiny and has gone backwards in recent years. Few people from Queensland and NSW have emigrated to Adelaide.

I cannot see the SA Gov putting much money into an NRL team. There will be too much opposition from parochial fumbleball fans and the city's two AwFuL clubs.

MugaB

Coach
The rugby league community in Adelaide is tiny and has gone backwards in recent years. Few people from Queensland and NSW have emigrated to Adelaide.

I cannot see the SA Gov putting much money into an NRL team. There will be too much opposition from parochial fumbleball fans and the city's two AwFuL clubs.
Same QLD as funding a logan team, it's a good thing the Aus govt would rather fund a pasifika bid rather than an Adelaide team hey?

The Great Dane

First Grade

The only way those circumstances change is if the NRL invests time and resources into growing the game in SA, and any significant growth will require the exposure of an NRL side to push interest. It's the McDonald's refusing to expand into a new market because Big Mac sales numbers are too low there argument again; it's very difficult for South Australians to get into RL if the NRL refuses to sell it to them.

I also think you need to lay down the meth pipe if you truly believe that the SA gov wouldn't jump at the opportunity to attract an NRL side. Sure, they probably wouldn't waste a billion dollars on a superfluous stadium like TAS is to get their AFL side, but they'd definitely be supportive.

The only way those circumstances change is if the NRL invests time and resources into growing the game in SA, and any significant growth will require the exposure of an NRL side to push interest. It's the McDonald's refusing to expand into a new market because Big Mac sales numbers are too low there argument again; it's very difficult for South Australians to get into RL if the NRL refuses to sell it to them.

I also think you need to lay down the meth pipe if you truly believe that the SA gov wouldn't jump at the opportunity to attract an NRL side. Sure, they probably wouldn't waste a billion dollars on a superfluous stadium like TAS is to get their AFL side, but they'd definitely be supportive.

Can you see the ARLC creating a team in house?

That would require a significant investment that goes beyond the annual grant they hand out to each club.

ARLC Chairman Peter V'landys said any team that is added needs to present a business case that pays for itself and adds more money to the game.

Can you see the SA Gov pouring tens of millions of dollars into establishing a professional rugby league club?

You can bet your arse that the city's two AwFuL clubs will use their connections with the business sector and media to create a public backlash against any proposal to use state money to prop up an NRL club. It won't be hard for AwFuL to win the public's support with the cost of living being so high.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Can you see the ARLC creating a team in house?

That would require a significant investment that goes beyond the annual grant they hand out to each club.

ARLC Chairman Peter V'landys said any team that is added needs to present a business case that pays for itself and adds more money to the game.

Can you see the SA Gov pouring tens of millions of dollars into establishing a professional rugby league club?

You can bet your arse that the city's two AwFuL clubs will use their connections with the business sector and media to create a public backlash against any proposal to use state money to prop up an NRL club. It won't be hard for AwFuL to win the public's support with the cost of living being so high.
Mate, seriously, WTF are you talking about?

I didn't even come close to postulating any of that in my post. You've literally pulled it out of your arse and tried to suggest that it's an inevitable conclusion of my position when it's clear on face value that it isn't.

To answer you're question; it'd probably be a more efficient way of expanding in a lot of cases, but no I can't see the current ARLC/NRL doing that and nor would they need to. The NRL could relatively easily source a group of investors to own an Adelaide based NRL team, or a team in any other larger city or major metro in Australia FTM, if they wanted to, they'd just have to put the word out that they're interested in corporate circles.

Outside of potential investment into infrastructure, which is a bit different than investing in the club it's self, and a discussion for another time, it's ridiculous to suggest that an Adelaide based NRL side would need to be propped up by tens of millions of taxpayers dollars as well. That's just nonsense, especially considering the size of the grant ATM.

Mate, seriously, WTF are you talking about?

I didn't even come close to postulating any of that in my post. You've literally pulled it out of your arse and tried to suggest that it's an inevitable conclusion of my position when it's clear on face value that it isn't.

Let me remind you of what you said.

The only way those circumstances change is if the NRL invests time and resources into growing the game in SA, and any significant growth will require the exposure of an NRL side to push interest.

You then went on to say this.

It's the McDonald's refusing to expand into a new market because Big Mac sales numbers are too low there argument again; it's very difficult for South Australians to get into RL if the NRL refuses to sell it to them.

Tl;Dr. You said rugby league will not develop a fanbase in Adelaide unless the NRL invests its resources into building the game at the grassroots level alongside an NRL team that's based in the region.

To the best of my knowledge, no one from the commercial sector has expressed an interest in bidding for a team in Adelaide over the last 25 years.

The only reason we got the Rams in 1997 was because News Ltd were two teams short of what they wantes. They created the Hunter Mariners and Adelaide Rams from scratch. Then they shut them down to create the Melbourne Storm, which I'll come back to later.

To answer you're question; it'd probably be a more efficient way of expanding in a lot of cases, but no I can't see the current ARLC/NRL doing that and nor would they need to. The NRL could relatively easily source a group of investors to own an Adelaide based NRL team, or a team in any other larger city or major metro in Australia FTM, if they wanted to, they'd just have to put the word out that they're interested in corporate circles.

The NRL released a media statement this year stating their intent is to add another three teams to the competition before the 2032 Olympics. No one from the commercial sector has come forward to express an interest in bankrollong an Adelaide NRL team. There was a very brief segment on the news in Adelaide covering the media statement. The reporter referred to the game as "rugby".

We've seen the WA Gov express strong interest in fielding a team in the NRL. They travelled to Magic Round last year to talk about the subject with V'landys. They released a press conference a few weeks ago stating they want a team in the NRL.

Brisbane Tigers expressed their intent to bid for the 18th licence since that time, too.

You're just going to have to accept that there's zero interest from the corporate sector to bankroll an Adelaide-based NRL team. In other words, the only way we'll see a team in Adelaide is if the ARLC creates it from scratch and runs it until some one is willing to buy the licence.

Outside of potential investment into infrastructure, which is a bit different than investing in the club it's self, and a discussion for another time, it's ridiculous to suggest that an Adelaide based NRL side would need to be propped up by tens of millions of taxpayers dollars as well. That's just nonsense, especially considering the size of the grant ATM.

The Melbourne Storm were created in house by News Ltd when they had a 50% stake in the ARL. The Storm required $100m from News Ltd and the ARLC over their first 20 years to become commercial viable.

An Adelaide NRL team would need a high performance training centre. That would cost at least $10m. The NSW Gov spent tens of millions on Parramatta's high performance training centre.

No one from the corporate sector is willing to stump up the money needed to bankroll an Adelaide team. Neither has the SA Gov expressed any interest. The only way an Adelaide team will come to fruition is if the ARLC creates it from scratch.

Clubs run on an operating budget of at least $25m. The bigger clubs run on $35-40m. The grant provided about $14m in 2020. It's higher now, but only by a few million. An Adelaide club would need to generate at least $8-10m from football operations to stay afloat. Not easy given they'll be in a small market where there's a great deal of apathy towards our game.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Let me remind you of what you said.

You then went on to say this.

Tl;Dr. You said rugby league will not develop a fanbase in Adelaide unless the NRL invests its resources into building the game at the grassroots level alongside an NRL team that's based in the region.

To the best of my knowledge, no one from the commercial sector has expressed an interest in bidding for a team in Adelaide over the last 25 years.

The only reason we got the Rams in 1997 was because News Ltd were two teams short of what they wantes. They created the Hunter Mariners and Adelaide Rams from scratch. Then they shut them down to create the Melbourne Storm, which I'll come back to later.

The NRL released a media statement this year stating their intent is to add another three teams to the competition before the 2032 Olympics. No one from the commercial sector has come forward to express an interest in bankrollong an Adelaide NRL team. There was a very brief segment on the news in Adelaide covering the media statement. The reporter referred to the game as "rugby".

We've seen the WA Gov express strong interest in fielding a team in the NRL. They travelled to Magic Round last year to talk about the subject with V'landys. They released a press conference a few weeks ago stating they want a team in the NRL.

Brisbane Tigers expressed their intent to bid for the 18th licence since that time, too.

You're just going to have to accept that there's zero interest from the corporate sector to bankroll an Adelaide-based NRL team. In other words, the only way we'll see a team in Adelaide is if the ARLC creates it from scratch and runs it until some one is willing to buy the licence.

The Melbourne Storm were created in house by News Ltd when they had a 50% stake in the ARL. The Storm required $100m from News Ltd and the ARLC over their first 20 years to become commercial viable.

An Adelaide NRL team would need a high performance training centre. That would cost at least $10m. The NSW Gov spent tens of millions on Parramatta's high performance training centre.

No one from the corporate sector is willing to stump up the money needed to bankroll an Adelaide team. Neither has the SA Gov expressed any interest. The only way an Adelaide team will come to fruition is if the ARLC creates it from scratch.

Clubs run on an operating budget of at least $25m. The bigger clubs run on $35-40m. The grant provided about $14m in 2020. It's higher now, but only by a few million. An Adelaide club would need to generate at least $8-10m from football operations to stay afloat. Not easy given they'll be in a small market where there's a great deal of apathy towards our game.
Hahaha not even Dane thinks you are coherent, i might just be a troll, but atleast i dont go hellbent on furfys

And Adelaide wasn't shut down for Melbournes sake btw... the Rams played in the inagural NRL season alongside the Melbourne Storm,
Get your made up facts right... the three teams that folded were Reds, Crushers and Mariners

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade

This is a very good post at every level.

Latest posts