What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Not voluntarily. Don't care about afl anyway.
None of us get a choice on govt spending except when the fed election comes in

20 million pa is a drop in the ocean in Australia’s foreign aid budget

and unlike Ukraine it’s on our borders and affects us

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
None of us get a choice on govt spending except when the fed election comes in

20 million pa is a drop in the ocean in Australia’s foreign aid budget

and unlike Ukraine it’s on our borders and affects us
We already drop billions into PNG, straight into the arms of corrupt politicians. Thanks for the foreign affairs lesson though.

Gobsmacked

Bench
PNG : corrupt, poverty sticken, penniless country where violence against women is prevalent and cannibalism still exists..
Getting a shiny new NRL team..
Could help PNG but could also bring the brand or the NRL down..
And I'm paying for it?

That country needs to go through a lot of growth and development first and maybe spend thier governments money on a team.

Hard no from me

Wb1234

Referee
PNG : corrupt, poverty sticken, penniless country where violence against women is prevalent and cannibalism still exists..
Getting a shiny new NRL team..
Could help PNG but could also bring the brand or the NRL down..
And I'm paying for it?

That country needs to go through a lot of growth and development first and maybe spend thier governments money on a team.

Hard no from meom

png cannibals makes a good team name

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
For every Twiggy Forrest there's a Nathan Tinkler.
I think that`s a bit of a stretch, Australia is widely recognised as a being a world leader in the mining industry, you don`t get that sort of reputation by having too many Nathan Tinkler`s.
Two other points, interesting that Mining N.S.W. has become a major sponsor of Newcastle`s NRLW team, I suspect that this has something to do with trying to put their name in front of young women when they are making career choices.
And secondly, I remember reading a while back that one of the reasons the W.A. Gov`t was so keen to have an NRL team (and I dare say eventually NRLW) was to help encourage workers from the eastern states, in particular from the mining industry, to consider relocating to W.A. Having an NRL/NRLW team offers workers from those industries something a little more like what they have at home. Sounds a bit ridiculous but I did read that a while back.

Wb1234

Referee
If a PNG bid is successful and it is funded by the Aust Gov due to the threat of China in the pacific, what happens to the politically sponsored team when there is a change in government or the funding stops ?
It’s double the money that was invested in the storm to make them a powerhouse and they have no juniors

I think that`s a bit of a stretch, Australia is widely recognised as a being a world leader in the mining industry, you don`t get that sort of reputation by having too many Nathan Tinkler`s.
Two other points, interesting that Mining N.S.W. has become a major sponsor of Newcastle`s NRLW team, I suspect that this has something to do with trying to put their name in front of young women when they are making career choices.
And secondly, I remember reading a while back that one of the reasons the W.A. Gov`t was so keen to have an NRL team (and I dare say eventually NRLW) was to help encourage workers from the eastern states, in particular from the mining industry, to consider relocating to W.A. Having an NRL/NRLW team offers workers from those industries something a little more like what they have at home. Sounds a bit ridiculous but I did read that a while back.

We also had Clive Palmer's debacle with Gold Coast United.

Don't forget the drama between the Diamonds and Gina Rinehart.

Nathan Tinkler was the worst of the three.

It doesn't mean a mining company will lead to disaster. But it does show there's potential problems that could haunt us.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don`t Newcastle have a long association with N.S.W. Mining as a sponsor, in fact didn`t they at some stage wear a jumper with hi-vis trimmings celebrating that relationship.

I`d say that W.A. is as much associated with mining as Newcastle, probably more these days, so it certainly wouldn`t be beyond the realms of possibility that mining companies in W.A. would get behind a Western Australian NRL team if they get one.
There’s a bit of public sentiment growing about mining companies not being ethical companies to be involved with sport. Dockers are coping some flak for being sponsored by Woodside.