What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
He's an angry little shit. I know I can get emotional when discussing a third Brisbane team, but he's just full of venom like MuggyB.
I must be back on the ignore....
But hey its better than being a runny shit...
I kinda wish grotd, put expansion on ignore,
He must have the rags coz pnemas sharks just pulled down his bumpkin cowboys pants and coz ridden UP!, UP! Little annual report CRONULLA!!!

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

Labor’s $7m could pave way for Pacific NRL team​

Andrew Tillett
Foreign affairs, defence correspondent
Aug 16, 2023 – 11.08am

Anthony Albanese says he would like to see a Port Moresby-based Pacific team enter the NRL by 2025 to mark the 50th anniversary of Papua New Guinea’s independence, tying Australian taxpayer support for the plan as a way to counter China’s growing regional influence.

Mr Albanese and Pacific Minister Pat Conroy announced on Wednesday the government would tip in $7 million to help fund a new end-of-season competition, the Pacific Championship, involving men’s and women’s teams from Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Papua New Guinea and Tonga.
59fcf187402b7793fa816e3dfd72bb21faa950ad

Anthony Albanese and Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape both love their footy.

Australia will co-host matches with New Zealand and PNG this year, and in 2024, share games with Fiji.
“The Pacific Championships mark the beginning of an exciting new phase of international rugby league competition in the Pacific for both women and men,” Mr Albanese said as he announced the support at the Brisbane hotel owned by the NRL.
Mr Conroy added: “Given around half the players in the NRL are of Pasifika heritage, and our shared love of sport, this competition will bring people from across the Pacific even closer together”.

The government’s support for the tournament adds to momentum for a regional squad made up of players from PNG, Tonga, Samoa, the Cook Islands and Fiji to join the NRL as its 18th team.
PNG is the only country where rugby league is the national sport, and Prime Minister James Marape is heavily backing the bid as a way to unite the population.
Mr Albanese threw his support behind the concept, which would have the team play games in both Port Moresby and Australia, with Cairns touted as a likely hub.

Labor’s $7m could pave way for Pacific NRL team​

Andrew Tillett
Foreign affairs, defence correspondent
Aug 16, 2023 – 11.08am

Anthony Albanese says he would like to see a Port Moresby-based Pacific team enter the NRL by 2025 to mark the 50th anniversary of Papua New Guinea’s independence, tying Australian taxpayer support for the plan as a way to counter China’s growing regional influence.

Mr Albanese and Pacific Minister Pat Conroy announced on Wednesday the government would tip in $7 million to help fund a new end-of-season competition, the Pacific Championship, involving men’s and women’s teams from Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Papua New Guinea and Tonga.
59fcf187402b7793fa816e3dfd72bb21faa950ad

Anthony Albanese and Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape both love their footy.

Australia will co-host matches with New Zealand and PNG this year, and in 2024, share games with Fiji.
“The Pacific Championships mark the beginning of an exciting new phase of international rugby league competition in the Pacific for both women and men,” Mr Albanese said as he announced the support at the Brisbane hotel owned by the NRL.
Mr Conroy added: “Given around half the players in the NRL are of Pasifika heritage, and our shared love of sport, this competition will bring people from across the Pacific even closer together”.

The government’s support for the tournament adds to momentum for a regional squad made up of players from PNG, Tonga, Samoa, the Cook Islands and Fiji to join the NRL as its 18th team.
PNG is the only country where rugby league is the national sport, and Prime Minister James Marape is heavily backing the bid as a way to unite the population.
Mr Albanese threw his support behind the concept, which would have the team play games in both Port Moresby and Australia, with Cairns touted as a likely hub.
It's good to see a Prime Minister who actually cares about our game and investing money on a competition that helps it develop a footprint in the South Pacific. Rugby union and fumbleball must be livid at this news.

I'm not convinced it's feasible to enter a PNG team in the NRL. It would be cheaper and more productive to set up a second or third Queensland Cup team in PNG and enter teams in the junior competitions. It would also help to throw a bit of money towards the PNG club competition to make it fully professional and increase its standard of play. People from all over PNG would be able to attend games on a weekly basis. That's better for the game's development that having an NRL team based in Port Moresby.

Dragonwest

Juniors
They weren’t all like Perth red I’m guessing?

Nice people, great place, caught up with a few NRL players my sons played juniors against, they really enjoyed the anonymity of WA.
A WA team is really going to need a strong feeder club arrangement when/if they enter the NRL competition.
I went to a local 1st grade game over here between top of the table teams Fremantle (1st) and South Perth (2nd), the standard was mid Central Coast reserve grade, with no intensity or big hits at all.
South Perth 3rd 😉

MugaB

Coach
It's good to see a Prime Minister who actually cares about our game and investing money on a competition that helps it develop a footprint in the South Pacific. Rugby union and fumbleball must be livid at this news.

I'm not convinced it's feasible to enter a PNG team in the NRL. It would be cheaper and more productive to set up a second or third Queensland Cup team in PNG and enter teams in the junior competitions. It would also help to throw a bit of money towards the PNG club competition to make it fully professional and increase its standard of play. People from all over PNG would be able to attend games on a weekly basis. That's better for the game's development that having an NRL team based in Port Moresby.
They stll can set up more qcup png sides, and that will breed more competitive tension to get filtered into the NRL pasifika side, can have 3 PNG qcup teams, Northern Pride and Kaviti Silktails all feed and represented by this new 18th franchise...
Cowboys can link up with Blackhawks, Mackay and CQ, instead of Pride

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I agree that the money and effort should be spent on domestic comps, elite pathways and Q Cup sides for the Pacific nations with a focus on helping their national sides compete for world cups and Pacific Championships rather than an NRL team.

Would be money better spent and the people of the Islands and PNG can still enjoy watching the NRL with more and more of their stars flowing through to the top club competition.

MugaB

Coach
I agree that the money and effort should be spent on domestic comps, elite pathways and Q Cup sides for the Pacific nations with a focus on helping their national sides compete for world cups and Pacific Championships rather than an NRL team.

Would be money better spent and the people of the Islands and PNG can still enjoy watching the NRL with more and more of their stars flowing through to the top club competition.
Yeah but they have that already, they actually want a NRL 1st grade side to mix it with the best, and just coz you guys think a better area deserves a team over them doesn't mean shit to them, its the national sport for cook islands and PNG, to be full able to beat on the storm or the bronx orthe panthers, is their dream, not wallow in qcup and nswcup, then hope to get drafted by the tigers

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are quite a few mining companies that operate in Aus and PNG that would likely jump on board
How many mining companies currently sponsor anything sport related? It seems their industry is generally very reluctant to get involved in sports sponsorship. Dockers being the only club I can think of and thats because the chairman owns a mining company,

MugaB

Coach
The sponsorship of the int series, along woith funding for png j r systems, is a much better outcome for rugby league than chucking silly money at an unsustainable png nrl team.
Says the guy pushing for a perf team, who also needs govt (WA) and mining sponsorship.... i think I'll believe the PM, not a PoM

The biggest problem with a PNG NRL team is it won't be able to recruit any big name players. It'll be filled with players who aren't good enough to get a start at any other club.

Super Rugby has a couple of these teams. They struggle.

There are quite a few mining companies that operate in Aus and PNG that would likely jump on board

Nathan Tinkler and Clive Palmer run mining companies. Their involvement in Australian sport caused more problems than good.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
How many mining companies currently sponsor anything sport related? It seems their industry is generally very reluctant to get involved in sports sponsorship. Dockers being the only club I can think of and thats because the chairman owns a mining company,
Nathan Tinkler and Clive Palmer run mining companies. Their involvement in Australian sport caused more problems than good.
Don`t Newcastle have a long association with N.S.W. Mining as a sponsor, in fact didn`t they at some stage wear a jumper with hi-vis trimmings celebrating that relationship.

I`d say that W.A. is as much associated with mining as Newcastle, probably more these days, so it certainly wouldn`t be beyond the realms of possibility that mining companies in W.A. would get behind a Western Australian NRL team if they get one.

Pippen94

First Grade
Don`t Newcastle have a long association with N.S.W. Mining as a sponsor, in fact didn`t they at some stage wear a jumper with hi-vis trimmings celebrating that relationship.

I`d say that W.A. is as much associated with mining as Newcastle, probably more these days, so it certainly wouldn`t be beyond the realms of possibility that mining companies in W.A. would get behind a Western Australian NRL team if they get one.

..but nobody gives a shit about NRL in Perth..

Western Australia has generated much of its wealth from the mining sector. Twiggy Forrest has made a fortune from it. So did Lang Hancock.

My concerns with the mining sector are based on what Clive Palmer and Nathan Tinkler did to their clubs. For every Twiggy Forrest there's a Nathan Tinkler.

Lang Hancock's 40yo comments came back to haunt his daughter and Netball Australia. That's three sporting bodies that have been negatively impacted by the mining sector.

Latest posts