What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Centy Coast

Juniors
South Perth 3rd 😉
Correct, South Perth were equal with North Beach last weekend but in 3rd position because of their for and against, after last weekends loss and North Beaches bye, North Beach are now on 18pts and South Perth are on 16pts.
South Perth flogged North Beach in reserve grade last week, it was like watching touch football, absolutely woeful defence.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee

Labor’s $7m could pave way for Pacific NRL team​

Andrew Tillett
Foreign affairs, defence correspondent
Aug 16, 2023 – 11.08am

Anthony Albanese says he would like to see a Port Moresby-based Pacific team enter the NRL by 2025 to mark the 50th anniversary of Papua New Guinea’s independence, tying Australian taxpayer support for the plan as a way to counter China’s growing regional influence.

Mr Albanese and Pacific Minister Pat Conroy announced on Wednesday the government would tip in $7 million to help fund a new end-of-season competition, the Pacific Championship, involving men’s and women’s teams from Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Papua New Guinea and Tonga.
59fcf187402b7793fa816e3dfd72bb21faa950ad

Anthony Albanese and Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape both love their footy.

Australia will co-host matches with New Zealand and PNG this year, and in 2024, share games with Fiji.
“The Pacific Championships mark the beginning of an exciting new phase of international rugby league competition in the Pacific for both women and men,” Mr Albanese said as he announced the support at the Brisbane hotel owned by the NRL.
Mr Conroy added: “Given around half the players in the NRL are of Pasifika heritage, and our shared love of sport, this competition will bring people from across the Pacific even closer together”.

The government’s support for the tournament adds to momentum for a regional squad made up of players from PNG, Tonga, Samoa, the Cook Islands and Fiji to join the NRL as its 18th team.
PNG is the only country where rugby league is the national sport, and Prime Minister James Marape is heavily backing the bid as a way to unite the population.
Mr Albanese threw his support behind the concept, which would have the team play games in both Port Moresby and Australia, with Cairns touted as a likely hub.
It’ll be png in 2026

they ties in with leaks in articles and what vlandys has been saying

a historic day for our great game

Wb1234

Referee
I agree that the money and effort should be spent on domestic comps, elite pathways and Q Cup sides for the Pacific nations with a focus on helping their national sides compete for world cups and Pacific Championships rather than an NRL team.

Would be money better spent and the people of the Islands and PNG can still enjoy watching the NRL with more and more of their stars flowing through to the top club competition.
Nothing beats an nrl team as the warriors have shown with nz participation and player generation

an nrl club will provide the elite pathways from under 16s to reserve grade that every kid in the nation will dream of playing for

flippikat

Bench
It’s 2028 three new teams are added.
Who are they?
Perth

NZ2 (I'd say it'd either be Christchurch of Wellington - throw it open for NZ specific bids)

Third one is up for grabs - I'd be inclined to say it's between Brisbane 3 and Pacific/PNG. This is the one where we really discover what the NRL's risk profile is.

Pippen94

First Grade
Perth

NZ2 (I'd say it'd either be Christchurch of Wellington - throw it open for NZ specific bids)

Third one is up for grabs - I'd be inclined to say it's between Brisbane 3 and Pacific/PNG. This is the one where we really discover what the NRL's risk profile is.

Any bids or u just naming locations?!

jim_57

Staff member
It’s 2028 three new teams are added.
Who are they?

Perth
South Island NZ
South-West Brisbane

I doubt they’d go all 3 in one season but you never know, it would be good if they announced all 3 at once for staggered inclusion over 3-5 years.

At the same time announce PNG as team 21 providing they meet certain criteria within 10 or so years. In the meantime pump funding in to pathways, infrastructure and improving the standard on Hunters & Digicel Cup.

If PNG comes off look at Adelaide/CQ/CC/Wellington/Auckland2/Melbourne2 etc for team 22 to round it out.

flippikat

Bench
Perth
South Island NZ
South-West Brisbane

I doubt they’d go all 3 in one season but you never know, it would be good if they announced all 3 at once for staggered inclusion over 3-5 years.

At the same time announce PNG as team 21 providing they meet certain criteria within 10 or so years. In the meantime pump funding in to pathways, infrastructure and improving the standard on Hunters & Digicel Cup.

If PNG comes off look at Adelaide/CQ/CC/Wellington/Auckland2/Melbourne2 etc for team 22 to round it out.
I can get on board with those 3 teams over 3-5 years.. especially if it minimizes the number of seasons where we have an odd number of teams & that awkward and inefficient weekly bye.

At least then we'd have a clear road map to 20 teams.

As far as 21 & 22 go, as you say - some groundwork has to be part of the puzzle - more regular games in Adelaide & NZ to build the following, working in with PNG & the Pacific Islands on pathways and infrastructure.. things like that.

That way, not only do PNG or the Pacific Islands have their best chance to reach the required criteria in that time frame.. but in the situation that they don't, we can look at other options for 21 & 22.. and may still be able to have PNG & the Pacific plug-in to other, lower tier competitions.

Latest posts