What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Why is that ? It’s a 20 min ferry trip from the CBD
Yeh and the cbd isn’t the centre of Sydney is it ?

let’s say an nrl player lived in manly and played for any other club than manly what’s his commute time.

Perth doesn’t have much traffic so players will have that benefit

The Great Dane

First Grade
Follow up article on recent survey whether regional WA would be interested in NRL matches.

"The prospect of a future Perth-based National Rugby League side bringing trial matches to regional WA is an exciting one, according to NRL WA chief executive John Sackson."

Interesting that they clarify that it would be trial matches, but who cares, I dare say they`ll pack out any regional ground and boost fans of the game to boot.
I can remember very clearly as a child my Father taking me to see the Roosters play a trial at the Jack Neil oval in Taree around 1973-74. I`ll never forget the ground shaking when Mark Harris roared past us as he flew down the wing in that match.
I'm not sure that even trial matches would be feasible in regional WA.

The NRL and clubs could much better capitalise on preseason matches if they were better organised and taken seriously, and giving them to places without the facilities to easily host and broadcast them because of the feels isn't the way to go about that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not sure that even trial matches would be feasible in regional WA.

The NRL and clubs could much better capitalise on preseason matches if they were better organised and taken seriously, and giving them to places without the facilities to easily host and broadcast them because of the feels isn't the way to go about that.
That’s not how most pre season trials are held. Until that changes it’s fine to take some of them to regional WA. SW WA has seen some great growth in jnr numbers in recent years, taking some games down there and having the perth players doing some coaching and schools etc during the week would be great. Only down side is theyd have to be payed at ovals
bunbury and Albany have 5k capacity ovals and mandurah a 10kground.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That’s not how most pre season trials are held.
The fact that something is doesn't mean that it should be, and the NRL have been taking baby steps to change that. Going back on that now would be a mistake.
Until that changes it’s fine to take some of them to regional WA. SW WA has seen some great growth in jnr numbers in recent years, taking some games down there and having the perth players doing some coaching and schools etc during the week would be great. Only down side is theyd have to be payed at ovals
bunbury and Albany have 5k capacity ovals and mandurah a 10kground.
The NRL clubs can't be everywhere all the time. It isn't, and shouldn't be their job to sell the sport in every tiny country town, and the sport is already too top heavy.

Every time the NRL plays games in the bush it's a flash in the pan with no long term benefits. The interest dies as soon as the NRL stops coming to town, and the local clubs can't compete with it which hurts their appeal.

We need local solutions to what are local problems at their core. The most successful solution to that problem internationally has been to build a pyramid of competitions with exposure and appeal, and foster a culture of supporting the local team.

Besides, a Perth NRL team's first priority should be to cement themselves into the market and grow the game in Perth, and they'll have their hands full doing that.

Pneuma

First Grade
If momentum in the media means anything (and it probably doesn’t) then the 18th announced team will be PNG with a base in Cairns but playing games in Port Moresby. I’m not sure that means it will mean they will be the next team to compete in the comp. It possibly means they will be a confirmed participant possibly by 2030. I still believe Perth will be the next team to play in the NRL. Whether that is jointly announced with PNG or a bit after. I’d predict Perth to be in from 2028, followed by PNG and NZ 2 in 2030.
Adelaide are no chance.

flippikat

Bench
If momentum in the media means anything (and it probably doesn’t) then the 18th announced team will be PNG with a base in Cairns but playing games in Port Moresby. I’m not sure that means it will mean they will be the next team to compete in the comp. It possibly means they will be a confirmed participant possibly by 2030. I still believe Perth will be the next team to play in the NRL. Whether that is jointly announced with PNG or a bit after. I’d predict Perth to be in from 2028, followed by PNG and NZ 2 in 2030.
Adelaide are no chance.
Interesting scenario to announce PNG next, but put conditions on it so that they're actually 19th or 20th admitted to the competition.

I honestly do think Perth will be 18th team admitted, and if that's the case then the interesting bit will be how the NRL positions itself for teams 19 and 20 - there should IMO be a road map for that soon after team 18 is announced - if not when team 18 is announced.

Pneuma

First Grade
Interesting scenario to announce PNG next, but put conditions on it so that they're actually 19th or 20th admitted to the competition.

I honestly do think Perth will be 18th team admitted, and if that's the case then the interesting bit will be how the NRL positions itself for teams 19 and 20 - there should IMO be a road map for that soon after team 18 is announced - if not when team 18 is announced.
Agreed. Im thinking with PNG they’ll be just giving them time to get their house in order rather than putting conditions on it. It’s in the NRLs interest to drag every bit of publicity they can out of this. They can be seen as leading social change in the country etc etc. On a practical level Perth is a no brainer and should be next.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I suspect they will have one depending on tv deals. The most recent comment's from NRL seemingly backing off PNG until systems are in place sounds like they are thinking longer term, of course when it is all reliant on Govt funding that is a risk as well but I suppose if they bring in perth as 18 and they get good pathways in PNG sorted even if Feds pull out and there is no team 19&20 the NRl still benefits from more PNG players.

Dragonwest

Juniors
I suspect they will have one depending on tv deals. The most recent comment's from NRL seemingly backing off PNG until systems are in place sounds like they are thinking longer term, of course when it is all reliant on Govt funding that is a risk as well but I suppose if they bring in perth as 18 and they get good pathways in PNG sorted even if Feds pull out and there is no team 19&20 the NRl still benefits from more PNG players.
From what I've been told with 2 degrees of seperation ... the networks want Perth, hopefully that outweights any federal government push for PNG.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Every time the NRL plays games in the bush it's a flash in the pan with no long term benefits. The interest dies as soon as the NRL stops coming to town, and the local clubs can't compete with it which hurts their appeal.
As someone who grew up in a small country town absolutely and totally disagree with this. Having two Rugby League teams from the other premier sporting competition in this country appearing in your local region is a no-brainer in kick starting not only an interest in the code but possibly even getting comp`s up off the ground, especially at kids level.
What better way for a W.A. team to introduce itself around the state by playing trial matchers in regional areas.

Pneuma

First Grade
As someone who grew up in a small country town absolutely and totally disagree with this. Having two Rugby League teams from the other premier sporting competition in this country appearing in your local region is a no-brainer in kick starting not only an interest in the code but possibly even getting comp`s up off the ground, especially at kids level.
What better way for a W.A. team to introduce itself around the state by playing trial matchers in regional areas.
It won’t work because it won’t. The end.

Dragonwest

Juniors
That is the big point. A huge call to pull your kids out of school here, wife a job and move to the other side of the country.

That is still the issue with these sides
Mark Geyer addressed our local first grade side over here in the sheds for a Red's Reunion a couple of years ago and discussed these very points.

He said some of his closest bonds in footy came from his time in Perth. He said the boys loved not being under the scrutiny of the Sydney media and had a ball outside of footy together.

He mentioned it was tough for some being away from Family, but the players and partners become their own little family over here.

It can work and it will be attractive for some. This is no different to all the QLD's in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
That is the big point. A huge call to pull your kids out of school here, wife a job and move to the other side of the country.

Quality of life vs being close to family

having a house near the beach for 1.5 million and spending 15 mins to drive to training

Perth Red

Post Whore

melbourne dont seem to have issues, nor other perth based teams

jim_57

Staff member
Quality of life vs being close to family

having a house near the beach for 1.5 million and spending 15 mins to drive to training

Moving cities even with family is hardly the end of the world, more players than not will already live away from where they were born and/or raised. Obviously player’s partners & kids will go with them 999 times out of 1000 and plenty of people are fine living in different cities to their parents & siblings.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Two WA players out there for the Broncos 2nite, Josh Rogers No #6 North Beach Sea Eagles junior and Jordan Pereira No #5 Willagee Bears juniors, also played NRL with St George-Illawarra Dragons.

Last edited:

Jimmy Wiggle

Juniors
Jos
Two WA players out there for the Broncos 2nite, Josh Rogers No #6 North Beach Sea Eagles junior, South Perth Lions grade player and Jordan Pereira No #5 Willagee Bears juniors, also played NRL with St George-Illawarra Dragons.
Wash your mouth out. Josh has only ever played for North Beach.

Latest posts