What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

blue bags

First Grade
The shire was dragons territory and juniors

sharks came in 67
Dragons run finished 66

unlimited tackles abolished 66
The other neighbour to the Dragons
Bulldog's beat dragons by 2 points in the major grand final qualifier semi final
In the 12 year run of dragons domination
And the bulldog's were young and hungry
And got few lucky breaks in the semi final

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
The shire was dragons territory and juniors

sharks came in 67
Dragons run finished 66

unlimited tackles abolished 66
Thank f**k the Sharks came into the comp in 67.

Wouldn't have wanted to support St George when I started following the game as a 4 year old in the late 80's.

This quote from South Sydney chief executive Blake Dolly sums up my doubt about Perth and New Zealand:

“Any decision to add an 18th team needs to be aligned to an NRL strategy to increase participation, properly fund the existing NRL clubs for the elite player development we all undertake, and be a guaranteed commercial success.”

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
This quote from South Sydney chief executive Blake Dolly sums up my doubt about Perth and New Zealand:

“Any decision to add an 18th team needs to be aligned to an NRL strategy to increase participation, properly fund the existing NRL clubs for the elite player development we all undertake, and be a guaranteed commercial success.”

That’s ok souths players think perth should be next. What do they say about opinions?

That’s ok souths players think perth should be next. What do they say about opinions?

Nice deflection. Pity their opinion will have no bearing over the ARLC's decision on the 18th licence.

All NRL clubs and the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues are members of the Commission.

There's three times as many people in Western Australia playing rugby union (12,550) than rugby league (4,100).

In 2018, 2019 and 2021, the Western Force averaged 10,808, 8,430 and 8,275 to Perth Rectangular Stadium. That's similar to the Western Reds crowds in 1996 and 1997.

A NSWRL game at the WACA drew 21,992 in 1989. Similar numbers attended games in 1992 and 1993.

Since 2013 we've had 13 NRL games played at Perth Rectangular Stadium with an average attendance of 14,225. This number is similar to the 13,390 the Western Reds drew in 1995 with a reasonably competitive team.

It's reasonable to estimate that a Perth-based NRL team will average 15,000 in its first season, then drop down to 12,000 if they struggle over a number of seasons. If they're a powerhouse on the field then their numbers should at least match the Melbourne Storm at around 16,000.

Can a Perth-based team generate enough revenue from ticketing with 12,000 active fans to break even?

My guess is they would generate a similar revenue stream to the Cronulla Sharks at the reduced capacity Woolooware site, albeit with the burden of with paying rental to VenuesWest. I cannot see a Perth-based team generating an average attendance of 18,000 to the dilapidated Perth Rectangular Stadium. Its capacity is only 20,600 and the corporate facilities are not up to NRL standard.

I'd love to see the business plan for this proposed team. It doesn't have a high performance training centre and will have enormous difficulty luring players away from Brisbane and Sydney. Melbourne Storm will always be chosen over Perth by players overlooked by the clubs from Brisbane and Sydney because it's on the east coast and a contender for the premiership.

In my opinion, Perth is clearly the weakest potential bid and at long odds of getting the 18th licence.

LimeRick

Juniors
afl has never ever said a perth third club is a realistic short term option. I’m sure there’s a lot of wealthy people would want to own a third perth team, the other two make a lot of money, it’s a good Investment!
despite the two perth clubs being huge afl isn’t considering a third, same should be for nrl in brisbane.
there well may be a ‘northern’ afl club in perth in years to come, but it won’t be for a long time And not till afl has the final footprint it wants.

If Perth gets a third AFL team, it won't be because their crying out for one, it'll be because they need an even number of teams after Tasmania enters.

It'll be seen as an easy win with a big following and a ready-made stadium (like the Firehawks), but ultimately not add a lot to the league.

Santino Patane

Juniors
For those pushing the “see how well the Dolphins are doing, Bris3 is a must for the 18th license”, I’m not sure we will get the same instant success story from them.

The Dolphins hugely benefited from being the alternative to the Broncos- the Broncos have been a divisive team in and out of the area and there has been a large supporter base of locals supporting non SEQ teams in greater Brisbane (think Storm fans). With the Dolphins entry, most of these supporters open to following a new team would have moved over, the remaining will be “dyed in the wool” supporters of their original team. I don’t think these new Dolphin fans will drop off too much if they don’t grab any success to much- they are League fans that now have a club to call their own. Add on top there would be a portion that see the Dolphins as “their team” (a la North Greater Brisbane) and there’s you established support for the team.

Brisbane 3 will not have the first pool to draw upon as the Dolphins already have grabbed that demographic. Sure there might be some that do (especially if they base themselves southern or west for the same geographic reason) but I doubt it will be as large and obvious. Like it or not, it is about diminishing returns.

The response to “the Broncos have grown their base” argument is simple- people were intrigued by League again and came out to see how the new guys would affect the comp. Then the Broncos started killing it (perfect timing) which engaged the soft supporters. They are the Broncos fans that aren’t rusted League supporters.

I would love to see another SEQ team and probably would be a soft supporter. I’m sure they will do okay enough and if bidders like Easts Tigers get it, they will be the most successful a third Brisbane team could be. But 18 is absolutely the wrong time. SEQ needs more time to build more fans to make it as successful a start as Dolphins had. It’s a better time to go elsewhere and see if the comp can build from the bottom up.

Gobsmacked

Bench
For those pushing the “see how well the Dolphins are doing, Bris3 is a must for the 18th license”, I’m not sure we will get the same instant success story from them.

The Dolphins hugely benefited from being the alternative to the Broncos- the Broncos have been a divisive team in and out of the area and there has been a large supporter base of locals supporting non SEQ teams in greater Brisbane (think Storm fans). With the Dolphins entry, most of these supporters open to following a new team would have moved over, the remaining will be “dyed in the wool” supporters of their original team. I don’t think these new Dolphin fans will drop off too much if they don’t grab any success to much- they are League fans that now have a club to call their own. Add on top there would be a portion that see the Dolphins as “their team” (a la North Greater Brisbane) and there’s you established support for the team.

Brisbane 3 will not have the first pool to draw upon as the Dolphins already have grabbed that demographic. Sure there might be some that do (especially if they base themselves southern or west for the same geographic reason) but I doubt it will be as large and obvious. Like it or not, it is about diminishing returns.

The response to “the Broncos have grown their base” argument is simple- people were intrigued by League again and came out to see how the new guys would affect the comp. Then the Broncos started killing it (perfect timing) which engaged the soft supporters. They are the Broncos fans that aren’t rusted League supporters.

I would love to see another SEQ team and probably would be a soft supporter. I’m sure they will do okay enough and if bidders like Easts Tigers get it, they will be the most successful a third Brisbane team could be. But 18 is absolutely the wrong time. SEQ needs more time to build more fans to make it as successful a start as Dolphins had. It’s a better time to go elsewhere and see if the comp can build from the bottom up.
It's also nonsense to think the NRL would grant a licence then cannibalise it! With a competitor!
No chance.
The earliest another Brisbane team will be is 20 years.

NZ will be kicked into another gear with another team and rival.
We know this works and the time is now.

mongoose

Coach

nice post, someone who actually understands the dynamic in Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice deflection. Pity their opinion will have no bearing over the ARLC's decision on the 18th licence.

All NRL clubs and the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues are members of the Commission.​
Neither will blake Sollyw or Phil Gould’s or anyone else’s lol. The commision, tv partner’s and clubs will decide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Perth gets a third AFL team, it won't be because their crying out for one, it'll be because they need an even number of teams after Tasmania enters.

It'll be seen as an easy win with a big following and a ready-made stadium (like the Firehawks), but ultimately not add a lot to the league.
Dockers and eagles won’t allow it. Canberra will be club 20 Probably in time for next tv deal in 2032.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's also nonsense to think the NRL would grant a licence then cannibalise it! With a competitor!
No chance.
The earliest another Brisbane team will be is 20 years.

NZ will be kicked into another gear with another team and rival.
We know this works and the time is now.
Broncos refused to let easts in last time, they won’t let them in next time either and already have the backing of the dolphins in the no vote. What news ltd wants news ltd gets,.