What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've said it before, when WA gets a team they should raid Super League and get the best of the Euro players, not expats.
They'll have a lot of cash to spend, offering them a sunny place to live, and play in the best competition in the world.
It would also negate the concerns on player drain.
They could even set up for SL juniors to come over and be part of the club from the start.
It will take a little while for WA to have home grown players coming through, so in the meantime start building a permanent route for the Euros to come.
I’m going to win lotto, buy Hull KR and own the perth team and twin them :)

but yeh said it before perth is perfect to attract the best of SL. Amazing lifestyle, beautiful weather, best time difference and travel time back to uk. Massive ex Pat community already here Etc you could easily pick up 5 or 6 of the best of British given the Cap differences between the comps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would also mean the SL would have spots to fill for other players coming through. Besides it wouldn't be a whole club, anywhere from 8-15 players would suffice to start with.
Not even that, I’d find 6 quality first teamers and a dozen or so of the best 18-20 year olds to bring over and develop. There’s real jnr talent over there that doesn’t get the training or opportunity they should. Would even look to france youth as well. Though culture and language is often a barrier.

I’m going to win lotto, buy Hull KR and own the perth team and twin them :)

but yeh said it before perth is perfect to attract the best of SL. Amazing lifestyle, beautiful weather, best time difference and travel time back to uk. Massive ex Pat community already here Etc you could easily pick up 5 or 6 of the best of British given the Cap differences between the comps.
5 or 6 good players, plus a few more to start. It'd be perfect.

Not even that, I’d find 6 quality first teamers and a dozen or so of the best 18-20 year olds to bring over and develop. There’s real jnr talent over there that doesn’t get the training or opportunity they should. Would even look to france youth as well. Though culture and language is often a barrier.
Yeah that kind of what I was getting at.
and in regards to the French, yep,hence why I said Euros.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We’ve got young players like jez Litten, mikey lewis and Zac fishwick who could be anything in an nrl system. Not that I want my club raided lol

It would also mean the SL would have spots to fill for other players coming through. Besides it wouldn't be a whole club, anywhere from 8-15 players would suffice to start with.

My fear is it will set in place the same domino effect that killed the BRL. First a few players will leave. Then fan interest will decrease because the best players are heading elsewhere.

Why support a league that cannot keep its best players?

The A-League suffers from the same problem.

If the Super League declines in value then it will be terrible for the international game and limit options at the professional level for players who cannot get a spot in the NRL.

My fear is it will set in place the same domino effect that killed the BRL. First a few players will leave. Then fan interest will decrease because the best players are heading elsewhere.

If the Super League declines in value then it will be terrible for the international game and limit options at the professional level for players who cannot get a spot in the NRL.
Thats fair, but it's only one team in one competition, not the whole SL.
Soccer has huge leagues all over the world.
Massive difference.
I reiterate, it also opens opportunity for development of young players into grade.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It’s not ideal but better they choose nrl than union. SL isn’t going to compete with nrl ever again for salaries so there will always be a drain, up to sl clubs to improve production lines to cover the losses. And maybe that’s where nrl link ups can help In a cash strapped RFL.
SL won’t lose a lot losing 10 players out of 300. Not to mention australia isn’t for everyone so some of the best will stay home regardless.

there’s not many English players retire in nrl, most go back better players and add to the SL comp anyways.

bazza

Immortal

I think some differences are
- NRL is in a different country and timezone - you can't watch it live in prime time like the BRL and Broncos
- Super league clubs have a long history - unlike the a-league

I think it will be like the various soccer leagues in Europe being relatively well supported locally even though the top players are in the big leagues like England and Spain

bazza

Immortal
Haha, when I own them both :)
send our best young kids over there to get 1st grade experience and win some comps and the best hull lads over here to nrl to win comps here. Sorted!
actually think there is some benefit of getting young players from Australia to play a season or 2 in superleague to get experience - especially in the halves

Perth Red

Post Whore
actually think there is some benefit of getting young players from Australia to play a season or 2 in superleague to get experience - especially in the halves
I think Schneider this year is a great example of that. Be interesting to see how he kicks on now that he has all that experience from this years games in SL And being in a cup final.

Thats fair, but it's only one team in one competition, not the whole SL.
Soccer has huge leagues all over the world.
Massive difference.
I reiterate, it also opens opportunity for development of young players into grade.
If PNG get the 18th spot then Papuans who play in the English system will come back home. Add a Perth team littered with the RFL's best players and it will lower the standard of play in England.

To be fair, the game in England is dying a slow and miserable death like rugby union in Australia. The money on offer from European RU is killing RL in England.

I predict RL will continue to decline in Europe and grow in the Pacific. PNG Hunters and NZ 2 will help the game grow in the Pacific.

bazza

Immortal
I think Schneider this year is a great example of that. Be interesting to see how he kicks on now that he has all that experience from this years games in SL And being in a cup final.
was thinking Jack Cogger and Jackson Hastings as well
Combination of getting some game time, being out of the NRL system and maybe it bit more space

I think some differences are
- NRL is in a different country and timezone - you can't watch it live in prime time like the BRL and Broncos
- Super league clubs have a long history - unlike the a-league

I think it will be like the various soccer leagues in Europe being relatively well supported locally even though the top players are in the big leagues like England and Spain

It'll be interesting to see what happens in European soccer over the next 20 years. The EPL is growing richer every year to the detriment of every other competition. At some point it will have a disastrous impact on the game across Europe.